Author Topic: Teat size right!  (Read 1717 times)

Offline lindseymbrown

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 18, 2014, 08:53:45 am »
Hi ladies,

We're fairly new to bottle feeding and are using tommee tippee bottles and size 1 teats altogether dd is 5.5 months. She can be quite sicky sometimes and sucks really hard. Could this be because of the small teat? I just don't know how teat size can affect things? We're also starting to wean too so I want to try to get milk feeds right. Thanks ladies.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Teat size right!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 11:39:16 am »
If you feel she is sucking really hard I would try the next size teat. Having to suck too hard can certainly make them take in too much air which can make them sicky. Ideally you want a bottle feed to last no more than about 20 mins and they should be sucking comfortably during the feed.

HTH!

Laura

Offline lindseymbrown

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 15:28:21 pm »
Thanks. We've just changed to size 2 and the bottle lasts no more than 5 or 10 minutes. She is still guzzling and sucking hard but I guess it takes a few days to get used to it? Hopefully then there will be less sick.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Teat size right!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 16:31:38 pm »
Don't forget that sucking from a bottle is much easier than breastfeeding so it may take her a while to adjust. Tommee Tippee do a very-flow teat that the baby controls by how hard they suck, they may be a better fit for her.

Let us know how she gets on!

Laura