Author Topic: formula stage  (Read 1662 times)

Offline kayra

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
formula stage
« on: June 25, 2014, 18:30:41 pm »
I'm breastfeeding and supplementing the twins and so far we've been using milupa's aptamil, and the one we're using is called 'pre' here, I think it's what's called comfort milk in the UK?? Is that so? However we've just found out that they won't be bringing it into Turkey anymore and so we'll need to switch to stage 1. But from what I understand stage 1 has more carbs/starch in it so I'm unsure..not that I have much choice in a sense ::)
What do you guys use? Anyone use aptamil 1 for their 6 week old?

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: formula stage
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 18:45:01 pm »
I used Aptamil 1 for DD from birth until about 3/4 weeks old and she took to it well. It is just the usual run of the mill first formula which is suitable for the first year. We switched to the Aptamil comfort/easy digest as she was constipated and the comfort has a stool softener in it, it is also lower in lactose (and the proteins are broken down a bit) which is why it is easier to digest. DD was a refluxer so the comfort suited her for a few weeks before we needed reflux formula and meds.

I don't think it has more carbs as such but it is the lactose (milk sugar) levels which are higher in the first milk and some babies do find it hard to digest the milk sugars.

Laura

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 19:09:56 pm »
thanks Laura. So 1 is harder to digest than the comfort milk? that's a bummer :( i don't think these guys have reflux though M does sometimes throw up a lot, like projectile, but I don't think it's reflux, he doesn't seem bothered at all (Am I reading that right?)

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 19:18:05 pm »
Most babies reflux because of the immaturity of the stomach sphincter, if he's not bothered then it's not a problem! Keep an eye on weight gain, providing that's fine then it's also not an issue. If it happens after a top up feed it could be that he's taken in too much, it's easier to feed from a bottle than the breast!

Laura

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 19:20:37 pm »
yeah weight gain is fine, i didnt know that was an indicator, good to know!

Angel, April 2011