Author Topic: Is it possible DD has food intolerance?..  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Maria14

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Is it possible DD has food intolerance?..
« on: June 27, 2014, 08:28:33 am »
Hi everyone,
I recently posted in toddler sleep section about my DD who is 17 months.
I am at my wits end with her sleep and am so exhausted all the time,I just don't know what to do with her.
She is independent sleeper,STTN from 6 months then at about 10 months of age started getting this really weird NWs where she would take 2-3 hrs to go back to sleep.
This was happening on and off but in the last 6 weeks its 8 out of 10 nights she does this
There's no pattern whatsoever and no relation to her bed time,nap length etc.
She wakes up typically around 1 ambit the time varies so not habitual wakening.
She rolls in her cot and puffs like she is in discomfort but she doesn't actually cry as such just little cries of frustration as she tries to send herself back to sleep and can't.
I am pretty sure it's not hunger or SA related.
In the toddler sleep section the conclusion was that its teeth and to give her pain meds.
She is cutting her molars- has been for 2 months now.one is fully out second one half out.
But I am beginning to think something else is bothering her.
It surely cannot be teeth causing a NW literally every night..
I do give her nurofen some times and within about 30min as it kicks in she generally goes back to sleep.
But I am reluctant to medicate her every night tbh.

In the day her routine is average for her age with one nap lasting 1-2 hrs and a lot of the time especially mornings she acts tired, not surprised after a disturbed night every night.
I just feel so sorry for her because on a rare occasion when she sleeps through she is such a happy baby in the day.
She has no signs or symptoms of food intolerance or allergy apart from this insomnia.
And no family history of food intolerances.

I am at my wits end with being up with her every night- nothing helps to send her back to sleep even taking her to bed, only nurofen.
I am worried that I am missing smth here thinking its all teeth related.
Could she have food intolerance that manifests like this and if so I don't even know where to start looking into it..she is a very fussy eater and quite limited in what she would eat :( dairy of course is one if her main food groups.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? The sleepless nights are taking its toll on my performance at work and I just don't understand why she can't sleep!
Thank you for reading
Maria

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Is it possible DD has food intolerance?..
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 19:07:07 pm »
HI, I am not sure that NWs on their own would signify an allergy TBH. There is no eczema, mucous, wind? And as she was fine on milk then unlikely to be that.

Offline Maria14

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 20:34:27 pm »
Yeah,I know.
Just looking for explanation for her bad sleep,I guess it's teeth,it feels like they are coming out TOO SLOWLY.
No,no other symptoms.cough a lot of the time and also runny nose but I always put that down to viruses from nursery.
But she does seem to be coughing the majority of the time,nothing major,I don't take much notice of that.
Could that be caused by food intolerance?..

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 21:49:47 pm »
An increase in phlegm could be an allergy -YK like hayfever. Could it be hayfever even?

Offline Maria14

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 06:04:02 am »
It's so hard to say isn't it when they are at nursery and pick up cold after cold there..
She had colds ever since starting nursery at 10 months but was ok prior to that.

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 07:07:31 am »
Hugs  :-* I know it seems like teeth take forever to cut, but it really can be very painful for them and it will disturb her sleep  :(

I rarely medicate DS now, but when he was cutting teeth I would alternate calpol and nurofen every few hours so we could all get some rest! It honestly hasn't done him any harm at all, as it was only for a few weeks.

It's better to stop her pain and break the NW habit now. Trust me, the teeth will come through and you'll get your good sleeper back  ;D

She will build up her immune system after a year at nursery, so she won't be ill as often either  :)

DS's food intolerances have never disturbed his sleep, they caused gut issues and eczema flare-ups, all highly unpleasant!

Offline Maria14

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 15:06:06 pm »
Thank you,yes it all makes sense that's its most likely her teeth causing the NWs.
I will live in hope that these molars come out soon and we can all get some sleep!