Author Topic: Question on early evening tanking up  (Read 926 times)

Offline dumbmum101

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 28, 2014, 19:46:06 pm »
Hello,

I'm working on implementing EASY with my 2nd LO (2 weeks old today). Something I never got the hang of with #1 were the early evening cluster feeds or 'tanking up'.

Main question is, if LO crashes out after the 6pm feed, do you treat the 8 pm feed like a dream feed e.g try not to disturb them too much/don't burp/put straight back down?

LO #2 is quite a greedy boy compared to my low birthweight and jaundiced firstborn who I had on a 2 hour schedule at this stage. 5 nights out of the last 7 he has been 'naturally cluster feeding' e.g continuously feeding anywhere between 6-10pm (exhausting) but has slept very well afterwards (best 2 nights we got a long stretch from 10pm - 2:30am, then through until 6am!!!). However, on the nights he's been hitting the Tracy schedule pretty closely e.g. falling asleep sometime after the 6pm feed (either 6:30 or 7ish) when I've snuck in for a top-up feed at around 8pm, I have succeeded only in disturbing him and then he's been very wakeful until the 'DF' time around 10-11pm.

He crashed out tonight at 6:30pm and it's now 8:40 and he seems to be sleeping quite soundly, so I'm tempted to leave him until 10pm for the DF. But also keen to 'tank him up' so is it worth me potentially disturbing him for the sake of getting as much into him as possible?

I am BF'ing BTW. I also think I might have quite a forceful let-down as he often I pulls off after gulp, gulp, gulping his feeds in 10-15 mins max, face covered in milk, looking like an illustration of debauchery in the last days of Rome or something. Think he'd quite like to suckle for comfort but finds it hard to do as he can't cope with all the milk coming his way - poor love.  2 weeks too young for a dummy?

Offline dumbmum101

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 21:17:50 pm »
Quick update.

He woke at 9:10 - so fed him (approx 15 mins) - went straight back to sleep.

Now wondering whether to do a DF at 11pm or not as will only be 1.5hrs since I put him down last?

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Question on early evening tanking up
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 12:22:58 pm »
Sorry you got missed here, I would try the DF and see how it goes. He is pretty tiny still. If he crashes at 6, I would go for DF a couple hours later just in the interest of boosting calories and preserving sleep. I may try to find you some BF eyes.

Maryn

[/url]