Author Topic: When to pump?  (Read 1491 times)

Offline *foxy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
When to pump?
« on: June 29, 2014, 17:49:41 pm »
Just wondering when a good time to pump would be? Obviously not just before DS needs a feed but after a feed or an hour or so after? I need DP to be able to feed him sometimes

*Kate*

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
Re: When to pump?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 18:06:19 pm »
When DD was small, I used to pump about 30 minutes after a feed ...as recommended by my LC. Hth. Xn

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 19:11:41 pm »
I could only ever pump first thing in the am before her first feed - still plenty for her too!
Heidi

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 19:16:29 pm »
I was pumping at 10pm as DS pretty quickly went 5-6h between feeds so he ate at 7 and than at 12-1am. When I pumped at 9-10pm I knew that if he wakes earlier than usual I can top up him with what I pumped.
~Marta

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 10:10:43 am »
Thanks ladies. I asked the HV today and she said to wait until DS is 6 wo as expressing may mess with my supply etc. plus he's feeding every 2-3 hours so she said I might not have enough to express and feed him.

*Kate*

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 12:50:09 pm »
That sounds really sensible.  Also the pumping really is an extra job to do, which you could probably do without for now!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 10:56:05 am »
Ok, wanted to add something as i have a different opinion. Foxy, decide on your own.

I pumped for storage in first 6 weeks (started around 2/3). As I said at 9-10pm so 2-3h from previous feed and 2-3h from next one. It was the easiest pumping I've ever had. Very quick response of my body to produce milk. After 2-3 days I was pumping up from 3 to 5oz per one pumping session. I was planing to introduce dream feed later so this pumping was to help me to establish supply for it. However after 6 weeks DS started to do long stretches at night and I resign from the idea about DF. Storage was ready so I stopped pumping. And... Around 12-13wo I started pumping at 10pm again (for DF, decided to introduce it) and... It was/is very hard. Boobs not used to pumping so first weeks was just getting used to pump. Now I usually pump 3oz maksimum even if I do it at 11pm! And DS can take a portion of 7oz when 19wo...:) so unfortunately I top up dream feed with a formula. Storage portions from first weeks were to small for one feed and we got used them very quickly. If I can change something, I would pump at 9-10pm for longer time.
~Marta

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 12:29:57 pm »
I think it's important to consider why you want to pump. 

If you have a precise goal in mind, like DH giving a bottle for DF or something, then it's good to do and it's something you can aim for.  If you're just doing it because you think you're supposed to, I honestly wouldn't bother, at least not for now.  It *is* more work at a time when you don't need it. Baba's sucking is more stimulating than any pump could ever be, so if the idea is to build supply, you're better off going down the baby route. 

Disclaimer: I pumped for the first six months with LO1, with the idea that it would be a good break for me for OH to do the DF with a bottle.  OH loved doing it, but it was just extra work for me.  I found it rather draining (expressing pun, sorry!)  LO2 refused bottles completely, so she was a bottle-free baby, I never pumped an ounce for her, and I found it way waaaaaaaaaaaay easier than with LO1, even though I had to do all feeds in person.  Just so you know where I'm coming from ;) 
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 13:38:38 pm »
Yes, totally agree with Anna. Just think on why you need an additional portion, how much you need and how often you will use it. And probably the most important think about yourself and your energy: if you are tired out totally it's not worth adding additional tasks for yourself.

Good example would be: some ladies pump in MOTN. Your supply is big at night, kids usually eat less and it's the most caloric milk:). However! I could never put an alarm on ie 4am and pump as it would kill me! Especially in first weeks with DS, and as you - difficulties with another LO!
~Marta

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 13:49:33 pm »
I do an extra session about an hour after the first morning feed. Started about 5 weeks old. The first few days got hardly anything but my body is used to it now and I get 2-4oz. My freezer supply is great because of it.
*Kate*

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 18:13:40 pm »
I wanted to express a bit as DD is struggling with DS' arrival so I do her BT to have some time with her. As we're not really in a routine with DS yet, he's sometimes needed feeding during her BT. He's really fussy at that time and tends to cry which really upsets DD. So I was thinking DP could give him a bottle of expressed milk if that situation arises again. Then I don't feel like I need to split myself in two.

*Kate*

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 18:23:58 pm »
So I would express just after a feed from second side or up to an hour after if he is roughly on 3h schedule. Don't worry about your supply as if he will wake earlier and needs BF, you could give him what you have expressed as a top up after offering a breast. I would say that you may try to do it after morning feed as usually after night there is so much milk in your boobs that even when expressing just after a feed, you should got some!
~Marta