Author Topic: Sleep training with chronic constipation and gas  (Read 1691 times)

Offline JamieD2013

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Sleep training with chronic constipation and gas
« on: June 30, 2014, 14:04:33 pm »
Good morning!

I have an 8 month old boy who has never been a stellar sleeper, but things have taken a turn for the worse in the last three months or so. We've had successful period that will last for a week or so (ie easy to get back to sleep after night wakings - no holding, just shush pat) but he's only slept through the night twice in his life. He is VERY sensitive to developmental milestones and changes in routine, which is hard to avoid with a three year old brother!

Since starting solid foods, he's been a constipated baby. I have tried everything: prunes, juice, probiotics, change in diet, stool softeners, suppositories - you name it, we've done it! I've taken him to the pediatrician and we've developed a plan, but so far it's not working.

My question is this: he wakes frequently at night, and will only settle if we hold him. Sometimes, however, he is really uncomfortable (grunts, cries, strains, and then passes gas). I don't want to sleep train him if he's genuinely uncomfortable, but at the same time, we're developing some really, really bad habits (my husband usually holds him all night and sleeps in his room.)

And advice?

Thank you!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: Sleep training with chronic constipation and gas
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 00:20:36 am »
Hi Hun, sorry you are having such a tough time. You must be tired.

don't want to sleep train him if he's genuinely uncomfortable,

Unfortunately this is true. You really can't ST a child who is in pain. Do you think it could be partially routine? How does he nap? What is his current EASY? Have you posted on the medical board regarding his constipation? the ladies their have seen it all.

My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Sleep training with chronic constipation and gas
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 09:21:32 am »
Hon my ds2 became horrendously constipated and miserable once starting solids. We had a nightmare working him out as his reflux came back in full force and he wouldn't drink milk etc. in the end we went to a private pead and took him off all the solids bar a few safe foods.

Is your lo drinking/feeding well? I would be tempted to see if cutting back on the solids helps the constipation. Try taking all dairy out of his diet too. Have a read of this.
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/childhood-constipation-and-cows-milk/?utm_source=NutritionFacts.org&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=f327d492a0-RSS_VIDEO_DAILY&utm_term=0_40f9e497d1-f327d492a0-22112797

As Siobhan says, you can't really ST a poorly LO. What I did do was embed comforting things like humming, and patting his bottom so when I did ST I could use these to help him settle and feel comfort. X
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.