Author Topic: How long to bf for each time?  (Read 2758 times)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
How long to bf for each time?
« on: June 30, 2014, 19:04:47 pm »
My little C was born 6 weeks early but has been gaining weight so well that his pediatrician wants me to start going from demand feeding to getting him on a 2-3 he feeding schedule during the day and 3-4 at night. He's over 6 pounds and turned 3 weeks on sunday. How long do yall let them nurse for? Do you switch beasts halfway through? He usually feeds for 7 minutes, sometimes more sometimes less. I don't switch but sometimes he will stop burp and relax for 5 minutes and want more so I'll feed from the other breast. I don't stop him. I let him stop when he is ready. Is this right?

[/url]

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 19:16:51 pm »
He usually feeds for 7 minutes, sometimes more sometimes less. I don't switch but sometimes he will stop burp and relax for 5 minutes and want more so I'll feed from the other breast.
7 minutes sounds a bit short before switching to the other breast, at his age.  I mean, if he were 4 mos or so, I'd think maybe he was a really efficient feeder.  But at his age, I'd suggest maybe putting him back on the same side, just to make sure he's getting at the hind milk, which is the really nutritious fatty bit :)
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Proud Mammy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: How long to bf for each time?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 21:55:29 pm »
^^^agree with weaver. The hind milk should Austin him for longer too.

In relation to the docs recommendation to get on a "schedule": I think it's far too early for that just yet - especially considering Baby was early. IMO.
If it were me, I'd be following Baby's cues and lead and letting them set the pace right now. I was on a 2hr feeding (round the clock) at that stage and only moved to having a 3/ more hr stretch at night time later. If Baby is giving hungry cues and looking for a BF, I'd give it.

Well done for a brilliant job so far as he sounds like you are doing a great job for him!!

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 15:17:39 pm »
Oh the hind milk...sheesh...so much to remember but it makes sense. I let him feed on and off for an hr on one side...He probably nursed for a total of 20 minutes. Is that OK you think? He likes to cluster feed at night anywhere from 6-9 pm. Is this normal? I mean it's like he's insatiable!!! I even went to far as to fix him a 3 oz bottle of expressed milk bc I always get to feeling like my breasts must be totally empty if he's that hungry but he ate all 3 oz and then nursed some more. My first child was a bottle baby so I always knew how much she was taking in. I guess that's what's so hard about bf'ing us not knowing exactly how much they are getting.

[/url]

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 19:36:57 pm »
I'd let him take the lead as others have said.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 19:53:10 pm »
Definitely! Frankly speaking I have never heard that you should limit milk for a breast fed baby... All doctors in my country say that breastfed baby cannot eat to much. If you kid is in high percentile in terms of weight, I would check couple of other symptoms (like hormones) and do not worry about feeding:).

In other words, you are doing a great job:)!!! Have amazing milk which makes your baby grow and you should be proud of that!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:15:20 am by Martii85 »
~Marta

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 22:48:34 pm »
I really am amazed...my husband (of all people) really put it into perspective the other day. C has gained a pound already and my husband said "it's all bc of you and only you". And b I realized how true and amazing that was!

[/url]

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 07:14:00 am »
You are amazing :)

Offline Proud Mammy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 17:47:18 pm »
Take a bow for a job well done.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 19:48:18 pm »
:))
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline megsx87

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 18:01:33 pm »
My little one was born 6 weeks early too weighing 4lb7oz at 17 weeks he now weighs 13lb exactly. He is ebf and I feed on demand. He would feed a lot when younger then he went to 20min feeds with a nighttime cluster now he feeds for about 40mins a time. There weight gain does settle down, he was gaining 11lbs a week but now settled to 6lbs a week. I dont think you can get them routined too soon especially with a prem baby as it doesn't work :)

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 00:30:54 am »
Yeah I wasn't too worried about a schedule with him...I'm still demand feeding. He seems to be averaging 1 hr 45 min in between feeds. I would like him to get to 2 hrs consistently but I'm trying not to stress about it too much. This time around I've been trying to nap with c at least once a day to catch up...With dd I was so worried about the housework. I'm still getting it done, it just seems easier this time around.

[/url]

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 14:36:32 pm »
Another question. I want to get a frozen supply going for when I go (if I go) back to work. Since he's only feeding off one breast at a time now should I pump the other to store? Is there an easier way to do it??

[/url]

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 15:38:48 pm »
When would you go back to work if it were to happen? You can store the milk for up to 6months in a deep freeze but bear in mind the composition does change so what you pump now won't be ideal for a 7mo for example.

Yes you would probably be best to pump off the other side if he is only eating one side. Obviously that will increase your supply so you'd need to keep pumping it off or you would get very full if you missed the pumping session.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 17:57:10 pm »
You may also pump between feeds or in the evening if you already have some break there (ie feeding at 7pm for BT and first NF is let's say at 11-12pm so you pump at 9-9:30pm
~Marta