Author Topic: Weaning off daytime feeds  (Read 1080 times)

Offline torie2507

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: July 06, 2014, 20:03:42 pm »
Hi,
Our 11.5 month DS has been exclusively breastfed.  He refused to take milk from any other source until the past couple of weeks when he's started having a little bit out of a sippy cup.  He's getting better with this now and as he's going to nursery 3 days a week so I'd like to keep feeding him myself first thing in the morning and at bedtime, but during the day change to milk from a sippy cup.

My question is... How do I gradually reduce my milk levels during the day without ending up with too much foremilk in the evening as I've heard this can give LO an upset tummy.

I'm thinking I could express once a day, maybe lunchtime ish ,reducing the amount every couple of days.  For instance, 3 ounces tomorrow, tuesday and wednesday, then 2 ounces thursday, friday and saturday then 1 ounce sunday, monday and tuesday.

Does that sound like a good plan, or is there a better alternative?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Weaning off daytime feeds
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 14:26:04 pm »
How many feeds is he having during the day now that you would be cutting out? If it is two or less I would just cut out one feed at a time and your supply will settle to match the new demand.

If he is having two feeds a day morning and night I wouldn't can worry too much about him taking other milk in addition to that.  You can always replace the dropped breast feeds with a solid snack.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline torie2507

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 16:02:32 pm »
He has a breast feed on wake up, currently has a breast feed about 10:30, which is the one I'd like to change to formula from a sippy cup.  We introduced formula from a sippy cup in the afternoon about a month a go, which he is now drinking ok most days.  Then he has a breast feed at bedtime.

What I'm finding is that I'm very 'full' by the bedtime feed so I think he's getting too much foremilk. I'm worried this is the cause of the upset tummy he has had recently. 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Weaning off daytime feeds
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 19:31:43 pm »
Have you always had a over supply do you think?  A month is a long time for your body to not have leveled out to the new demand I think.  There are some ideas for decreasing supply here Oversupply and Overactive (Forceful) Let-Down
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011