Author Topic: Arrowroot cookies and sugar?  (Read 9395 times)

Offline kristinao

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 25, 2008, 16:04:24 pm »
My daughter just turned 8 months and i've started her on finger foods. My mom told me i shouldn't be feeding her arrowroot(don't you just love mom's!!:) because they contain to much sugar. I checked the label and its 2g of sugar. Are these a treat? Do you let them have one a day? I don't want her to get used to "junk" food so i'm just not sure what to do.

Thanks
Kristina and Ellie

Offline Courts21

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 23:00:05 pm »
My lo just did not take to finger foods at all... I tried everything out of desperation I gave him an arrowroot cookie.  He loved them, gobbled them up every time.  So he used to have arrowroot cookies for his finger food.  But once he mastered them I started trying a range of new finger foods, and he loves trying something new now.  So he rarely has a cookie anymore.  I did have to cut back down a bit because he loved them so much we had a couple of days where he would only eat those biscuits.  But now he loves trying anything.  I remember once my doctor telling me a story about a newborn that wouldn't take breast milk or formula or eat anything and they ended up having to mush up with breastmilk an arrowroot cookie off a spoon to get them to eat.  So there can't be to much wrong with them.  My advice is give your lo the cookies if you want but remember this is a time of discovery for our lo's give her lots of new stuff to try all the time so she won't need a cookie every day

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Re: Arrowroot cookies and sugar?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 23:01:38 pm »
arrowroot biscuits are probably as low sugar and healthy as you can get IMO and experience.

while you woudl not want her whole diet to be arrowroot cookies i think even daily consumption would be ok - they are great for teething and generally cheaper than teething biscuits (which i bet if you check have sugar too) and can be a great snack to keep in your purse for times when you are out and about and lo is hungry before you get home or to food.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Arrowroot cookies and sugar?
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 00:39:42 am »
2gs of suger is nothing really
Arrowroots are actually quiet good for LO's. They can help with digestion too :)

I wouldn't worry to much about suger levels right now. I mean avoid candy like foods, but a healthy balence is ok too. After all the fruits and veggies they eat have suger in them too.
Kimberly

Offline momwhopainted

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 00:53:22 am »
I understand your worries about the sugar.  I was reluctant to give my dd (8 months) Cheerios and they only have 1 g of sugar!  My dd eats Cheerios at every meal, along with her other foods, (she won't start eating anything unless there are a few Cheerios on the tray), but I doubt she even gets a full size adult serving.  Have you tried Cheerios?  They are great. 

Offline camys mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Wee Monkey!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 13:32:36 pm »
Have you tried putting a veggie or fruit puree on the cookie, adds a little bit more of a nutritional punch.
When my DH and I have cheese and crackers, we mash up an avocado and spread a little on a baby cracker for our LO.
 :)

Offline woody3

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 12:52:52 pm »
Arrowroot biscuits - just a comment knowing its an old post anyway. The well known maker in Oz shows no content quantity of arrowroot and does taste sweet. Try Woolworths own brand as they do not taste as sweet as the known brand.