Author Topic: Do you allow them to cry  (Read 2067 times)

Offline kaf3g

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 10, 2014, 16:05:29 pm »
Hi

I have a LO who is 6 weeks tomorrow and I am really confused with her feeding routine, I want to start her on a 3 hour EASY routine and we have been trying for a week now but I would like to know how strict you are with your LO in terms of feeding times, she is formula fed and she tends to only take two ounces at a feed and then is starving looking for more about 2 hours later, I feel if I could stretch her to the 3 hours she would take more of her bottle and be satisfied for longer but I'm not sure if its ok to make her wait for an hour for a feed to fit into the 3 hour routine especially when every where I read it says feed baby when they are hungry! its getting frustrating for us all trying to guess if she is hungry, tired or full of wind including my LO I think!!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you :)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Do you allow them to cry
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 16:31:38 pm »
No, don't make her wait an hour if you think she is hungry! She is still tiny so she may really need the 2 hour feeds. What is in her bottles - breastmilk or formula?

You could try her with the next size teat, they sometimes need a faster teat to enable them to take a better sized feed without getting too tired to eat.

Laura

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 17:10:47 pm »
She is still tiny so she may really need the 2 hour feeds.
Agree, my DS was small so he needed to eat every 2hrs which the doc recommended.  Is she draining the 2oz bottles? If so, have you tried adding another ounce of formula?

Offline kaf3g

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 07:35:51 am »
Thanks for your replies, I have the next size teat which I tried this morning and she took 3 oz's so hopefully that will help. she is on formula which we just started last week so I know she is probably still getting used to it. This is my second LO and my 1st was not in any routine and I found it really stressful and difficult, I supposed I am probably being impatient and stressing myself as I am scared the same thing will happen again. Thanks again for your advice  :)

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 13:36:56 pm »
I supposed I am probably being impatient and stressing myself as I am scared the same thing will happen again.
Yes, most of our sleep training and beginning to establish a routine didn't start until around 3 months.  She's still so little so I would just try to go with the flow for now...you can still promote the EAS routine but it won't start to be too concrete until she's a little older :)