Author Topic: I think my baby mixes up day and night  (Read 874 times)

Offline athenasmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • What ice cream ... I had no ice cream!!!
I think my baby mixes up day and night
« on: July 11, 2014, 11:36:18 am »
Hi,

I am somewhat new to e.a.s.y. again since my ds is 7 years old already. He was a textbook baby and really easy to put on a solid routine early on. I have been trying to put dd on a routine since we left the hospital. However dd is now 2 weeks old and want to sleep through the day but  is restless from about 2 a.m. until 6 a.m. I always try to wake her every 3 hours for feeding during the day. She falls asleep almost right away on the breast but takes a good feeding. I try to burp her and keep her up for a few minutes after feeding but it does not always happen. She does not wake on her own for feedings during the day. I know she is gassy at night and has 2-3 blowout poops  :(  I think she has her days and nights switched. I want to help her  and myself to get through this quick but I am lost because I am not able to really wake her during the day. I have tried undressing her, wiping her fet hands and forehead with a cold wet towel, tickle her, etc. Nothing works. She might stir or whine a bit but would not wake up. I keep everything dark and quiet during the night and do not engage her. Please some advice to a tire momma :)
*Suzanna*

Offline athenasmom

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • What ice cream ... I had no ice cream!!!
Re: I think my baby mixes up day and night
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 12:52:54 pm »
Just wanted to add that dd is not totally awake during the night but seems to be only in light sleep. She mostly just grunts and moans but starts to fuss later around 4-5 a.m. She also seems to want to feed more often at night whereas she does not wake during the day at all.  :( She has started to do this in the last 3 days, she was doing better with the routine before.
*Suzanna*

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: I think my baby mixes up day and night
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 15:49:30 pm »
My ds was much like this at that age!  Fast asleep all day, restless at night!  From all the reading that I did, it seems that babies do naturally outgrow day/night reversal by 6 weeks -- typically you're supposed to keep doing what you're doing, wake them every few hours to eat and keep them out in so I where where there is sunlight during the day.  Keep things low key at night -- we worked on estaishing a BT routine early on as well.  Honestly I think time did the trick more than anything else -- that being said, lots of (((( hugs)))) in be meantime, it's really hard to have to be awake during the day for your big one and all night for your little one! 

I'd also check to make sure you're burping well and that you're not dealing with any obvious discomfort.  But if he's fine and sleeping well during the day, it does sound a lot like day/night reversal.