Author Topic: Solids back to breast to lengthen time bw feeds?  (Read 823 times)

Offline youngbulps

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Solids back to breast to lengthen time bw feeds?
« on: July 12, 2014, 13:30:42 pm »
Hi everyone:)

I am new to this forum, but need help!!!

My baby is 7.5 months old and I've stuck to easy for the most part, but I
went from the 3 hour breastfeeding to solids on the recommendation of my doctor.  I am having trouble with night waking and I think it's bc she is used to being fed every 3 hours.  Should I go back and remove her solids at breakfast and just breastfeed in the motning?

Here is her routine:
 5 am breastfeed
8 wake & feed breakfast (solids)
930 walk & nap
11 am breastfeed
1230 lunch (solids)
130 breastfeed (I can't get away from this one)
2 pm nap
4 snack breastfeed
530 pm dinner
7 cereal bath & breast, bed

As you can see here I cannot seem to get her down for naps with pu pd, instead I've gone back to walks and breastfeeding, after days of trying. 

any help would be appreciated!!

Lisa

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Solids back to breast to lengthen time bw feeds?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 22:08:14 pm »
If she's 7.5 months, she is unlikely to need a nap 1.5hr from when she wakes for the day.

IIWM, I'd probably just jump to a nominal 6 month-ish routine and tweak from there, so something like this:

8 - wake, BF (even if BF at 5am)
9 - solids
11 - nap
12:30 - wake, BF
1:30 - solids
3:30 - nap
5 - wake, BF
7/7:30 - bath, BF, bed, to be asleep by 8.

Expect a bit of OT in the morning for the first few days, as it's a big jump, but you should find it settles down quickly. Much quicker an easier on both of you than extending 15 min every couple of days, you'll end up chasing your tail doing that. Once she's a bit stable in the routine, or you've had it going for a week or so, you should start to see signs that point to what tweaking the routine may need.

You'll notice I've left out solids in the afternoon/evening. These can cause digestive issues with LOs this young and cause night time disruption. Milk has more calories per ounce than any solids you'd offer at this age, so best off emphasising milk. Solids for tasting and fun til age one is the idea, providing you move along with various tastes and textures, you'll be able to notice any developmental issues along the way.