Author Topic: 27 month old sleep regression  (Read 6745 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: 27 month old sleep regression
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 20:00:06 pm »
My DD has night terrors - and has for a very long time  :'(.

If he is awake and crying and asking for the light on I'm not sure it is I really  :-\. Night terrors are when  they are stuck between wake and sleep - so screaming but not responding properly to you. My DD often doesn't respond at all, sometimes keeps calling 'mummy' even though I am there, writhes around a lot, on the few times she does speak she is far from 'with it' and what she says is very muddled and incomprehensible. She did that last night - was crying and saying she wanted a turn over and over - but was otherwise just writhing and unable to respond to questions. She is often screaming and covered in sweat.

It sounds like nightmares might be the answer, but that perhaps your LO is just a bit young to discuss and articulate it to you. Asking for the light on implies being aware and frightened of something. When my children were young I used to call them 'dream stories' or 'sleep stories' and I think they understood that better.

Both my children have needed nightlights from about age 3. Neither will have the door shut, and both will call in the night if their lights are out and it is too dark. Could that help??

Another word for night terrors is confusional arousals, and that is pretty close to what they are. In a really bad one my DD will go on and off for 1-2 hours. It is really hard  :-\. If she goes on that long we usually do wake her - but that is frightening and then she is upset about that.

The only thing we have found that helps is making sure she is cool at night. Minimal clothing etc. it doesn't stop all of them, but it does help.

She currently gets about 2-3 a week, which is greatly improved from six months ago. I must admit, I find them really really hard to deal with. Thankfully DS sleeps through them all.

Sounds like OT NWings from nap dropping (which is unavoidable), and probably some fears and nightmares starting.

They do say with night terrors that you can leave them to it (and we do for a short period as waking them can be frightening and make it a lot worse). If you do go in them slow gentle soothing but still allowing it to run its course. Megan will usually just suddenly stop flailing and roll to her side and be immediately in a very deep sleep. You should avoid waking them if you can - horrid for Mama but they never remember - I only wake her if it had been 1-2 hours  :'( :'( - and I do that by taking her downstairs - the sudden change in temperature will make her wake. Others say putting them on the toilet can work.

I hope your DS isn't developing them as I really do think they are one of the worst things we deal with round here. Last week she had a few in a caravan on holiday and it was awful  :'(.

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 20:27:50 pm »
You are right- does not sound like night terrors- he is fully awake and makes sense. He has all his teeth right now... Just not sure what is up. He would cry so much at nap time that we dropped it (and he also almost never fell asleep and just played) Maybe it is OT night wakings? Would you do an earlier BT then? He has been at 8pm forever... woke today at 1, 5:15 and 6am. In bed fine with light on until 7am playing. He is so tired now at night that there is no more crying and just falls asleep fast.

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 20:28:27 pm »
Oh, we also use a gro-clock that he knows has to go on before he can leave his room-

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 20:32:24 pm »
A lot of kids do need early bedtimes when they drop the nap.

Offline HenaV

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 20:46:55 pm »
It may be worth trying a 12h day on NNDs to see if that helps?
H

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 02:34:51 am »
It may be worth trying a 12h day on NNDs to see if that helps?
H
We had 10.5-11 hr days when dropping the nap (on NND) or we had hideous OT NW or NT. Done be afraid of trying EBT as often they WU at the same time but have had an extra hour for two sleep yk? - if 8 pm is usual Bt try 6.30 or even 6 on a NND and see how it goes. You will know pretty quickly if EBT work or not ;)

Also agree, they don't sound like NT :-\ not that it makes it any less difficult for you :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 16:11:33 pm »
Thank you! So, we are doing EBT and seems to going better- he also wanted the night light on and door open (which we close after asleep) and no more crying and no more NW. He sleeps from about 7:30p-7am most of the time now. He once took a 45 minute nap in teh car and the same problems came back, so I guess no more naps! Miss the nap already... Wish we could get him down before 7:30pm, but with his 4 mo sister cannot get it done...

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 08:17:34 am »
That looks like good progress :) and a good night.
You may be sale to do an earlier bt once a week to so in the weekend to keep OT at bay if you need to ;)
***Sara***

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 15:29:39 pm »
Last night was a 7:30pm bnedtime and he woke happy and talkative at 6am! not sure what is happening... That is not enough sleep and he refuses any nap still:( Maybe earlier BT?

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 01:15:57 am »
They get OT in the process of the 1-0 anyway so this could be what your seeing.
I'd go for a short day and see if he catches up overnight. Maybe 6/6.30 bt if you can't get a CN.
***Sara***

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 13:38:03 pm »
OMG! Help! We are still having problems... My 28 month old now is still refusing to nap and then won't go down at EBT and then wakes at like 5am! We have to go in there to stop him from waking his little sister... The little sister who still wakes once at night for feeds- we are becoming zombies! Any ideas? Yesterday he slept until 6:30, refused a nap, fell asleep on the couch at 5pm and we only let sleep for like 15 minutes, and then at 7pm would not go to sleep... Not sure what to do...

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 19:49:43 pm »
It sounds like you're getting quite frustrated.  It can be really hard when you just don't know how to fix the problem and all you want is a little more sleep! 
Having reviewed the posts, I thought you had decided to drop the nap because he was fighting it so much?  It's not uncommon for LO's around your son's age to be ready to go without.  Each child is different but you know your son best. 
I know how concerned you are with your DS getting the appropriate amount of sleep so I've attached this link for you to have a look at.  Keep in mind that this is only a rough guide, some LO's need more sleep, some less.  I would say your DS sounds like he's at the lower end of the sleep needs.  If he's going to sleep at 7:30pm and waking at 6:30am, that's pretty good. 

Typical Amounts of Day and Night Sleep

What is your wind down routine with him?  The only other suggestion I can make at this time is to keep track of his schedule for a week.  When is he waking?  When does he go to sleep?  Does he sneak in a cat nap at some point during the day?  This will allow you to see any patterns and getting a better idea of how to tweak DS's routine. 
Hope this helps!

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 22:43:42 pm »
Thank you laura- we still put him in his crib for "nap/quiet time" but he usually doesn ot nap. Just gives us a little down time for the baby. he is so very obviously tired and just fights sleep. if we are in teh car, he will always fall asleep.  We try to do EBT but I get home at 6:30pm from work and it is very hard to get him in bed by 7pm, but we do it. he always wants the light on and teh door open. This am he awoke at 5am and then went back to sleep until 7pm after bed at 7:15pm. He is a very low sleep needs kiddo it seems. Dropped to one nap at 8 months! But it is just so hard when you can clearly see how tired he is and he will not nap. And he is only sleeping about 11 hours a day eve nwith EBT and is so fussy at night. he is such a great kid, but the nap is just not there anymore. And I cannot get him in bed any before 7pm.
Wind down- ideal day- dinner at 6pm, ipad while we feed baby from 6:30-7pm, bath at 7pm, brush teeth, jammies, books in bed, cuddle, lights off execpt for table lamp, turn on white noise, scout plays for 10 minutes of music and then sleep sack and into bed by 7:30pm and asleep quickly. same thing we have done for 2 years...
I will keep track of waking and sleep patterns and se if there is anything there.

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 16:36:34 pm »
So, since Iwas home yesterday, I noticed he gets very tired around 3pm. I am thinking of trying the nap at 3 or 3:30pm for one hour, then a late bedtime? He woke at 5am today after EBT at 7am... He is no longer crying now with the small light on... What do you think?

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 18:41:00 pm »
It's totally up to you.  Personally I wouldn't introduce a nap at a new time, especially since he's fighting the current nap.  It's important to keep in mind that whatever you try, you need to keep in place for AT LEAST a week if not longer, before you make any other changes.  Otherwise you'll never know if it actually works or not.
The other thing I was going to suggest was replacing the iPad time with playdough or duplo blocks, something a little less stimulating so close to bed time.  You mentioned that it helps keep him occupied during feeding time for your other LO.  Is your partner around at that time to spend some quality time with DS before bed?  I know it's recommended that adults don't go on the computer for 2 hours before bed, I imagine the same rules would apply to LO's.  Removing the iPad may help him wind down a little more quickly.  Just a thought.