Author Topic: Family wedding and road trip for a 2 year old  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Reethepea

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Family wedding and road trip for a 2 year old
« on: July 13, 2014, 12:05:32 pm »
Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you had any advice for us before we do the day I'm dreading.
My little girl is 2 on Wednesday and on Friday we have a family wedding at 1pm where my little one will be a flower girl.

This in itself is causing anxiety as at 12.30 she takes a two hour nap. So chances are there would be no nap :( .The road trip is 3 hours and we need to be at the venue for 12 to get ready etc.

I originally thought we would leave at 9 and be there for 12 and hopefully she would have a cat nap in the car. However we could leave the evening before and stay with family overnight. Any advice very welcome.

We are staying at the hotel overnight on Friday evening and dd will be in the same room as us in her travel cot. If she doesn't nap she will need an early night and one of us will have to miss the reception.

I'm so anxious about the whole thing I'm dreading it.
DD 1- Spirited- July 2012

DD 2- Angel/Touchy April 2016

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Family wedding and road trip for a 2 year old
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 12:39:20 pm »
For me, I'd have to leave the night before of I'd have anxiety about getting there on time!  Maybe if she doesn't sleep great at the hotel, you could drive her around that AM and have her grab a car nap?   Just because it is such an unusual circumstance?  We've had nights like that with all 3 of mine and I've found that you just have to play it by ear -- she might have so much fun at the reception and be able to stay up late -- or she might be completely overwhelmed and need to have an early night.  When my ds was 1.5 we went to a family wedding and we spent a lot of time out in the hallways -- but he also spent a lot of time dancing and entertaining everyone!  We went to another wedding when he was 2.5 that he was supposed to be in but he wouldn't walk down the aisle!  He stayed up super late at the reception though and had a great time! 

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 12:42:31 pm »
I agree. I'd arrive the day before and then drive around in the morning to apop a car nap (or go for a walk to apop a nap if that works for your LO).

Try not to panic.  Whatever happens happens.  Just go with the flow.  See how she's doing and take it from there. 

If she's low on sleep on the wedding day she can always catch up in the car on the way home the next day.

Hope you have a great time!
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Reethepea

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 13:11:56 pm »
Thank you ladies. We will drive up the day before, try an ap nap in the car and play it by ear. Xx
DD 1- Spirited- July 2012

DD 2- Angel/Touchy April 2016