Author Topic: Is my 21 month old a picky eater or is it a stage???  (Read 1335 times)

Offline ills84

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Is my 21 month old a picky eater or is it a stage???
« on: July 14, 2014, 11:56:49 am »
Hi all,

I have a little 21 month old girl. She has always been hit and miss with her food. For the past 9-10months she has decided that she doesn't really want to eat dinner. She'll eat breaky, snacks, lunch (sometimes) but when it comes to dinner she'll only have 1-3 mouthfuls and nothing else. If I give/offer yogurt she'll eat this but I don't do this as I think she started to only want this.

I just can't understand why it's only at dinner. It doesn't matter of its food she likes or something new. Any ideas?

Thanks

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Re: Is my 21 month old a picky eater or is it a stage???
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 13:26:14 pm »
Any chance she's just not too hungry at dinner time? If she's eating well for the rest of the day, then I wouldn't worry too much.  (Easier said than done, I know.)
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 14:46:45 pm »
I agree. Also just wondering if tiredness could be a factor? Have you tried an earlier dinner?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 19:55:03 pm »
I agree with both pps, could be she is getting enough the rest of the day or she is too tired by dinner time. Maybe try earlier dinner?

If you cook food at dinner which you'd really like her to have in her diet (for instance I used to cook more veggies at dinner time) maybe save hers in the fridge for the following day and offer at breakfast or lunch so she still gets the variety of foods you are offering but at a time she is happier to eat.
I used to do dinner at 5.15 or my DS wouldn't eat. Now I do dinner 4.30 - 5pm or I miss the window of opportunity.