Author Topic: how does mobility cause night waking?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline claire1711

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 15, 2014, 21:35:29 pm »
I'm hopingsomeone can explain how mobility affects night wakings.
My now 6 month old was sleeping through from around 8 weeks old but stopped a couple of months ago. He has been taking an extra feed at night which I assume he needs as it is at random times and he takes a full bf.
The last week or so things have got worse with him waking multiple times.  I assumed he was hungry and have been bf. He is also now sharing a room withmy 2yr old who I don't want to disturb so have been taking him into my bed to feed.
Tonight he went to sleep at 7.30 and justw started crying at 9.30. I went into him and he was on all fours like he was trying to crawl. He has been doing this for a few days during the day.  With a bit of shh pat he went back to sleep.
So my confusion is why does that happen? Is it just another phase and should Ido shh pat when he wakes in the night at the risk of my older son waking.

Thanks x

Offline claire1711

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: how does mobility cause night waking?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 21:40:49 pm »
He's also on a good 4 hour easy and naps well.  He is also on 2 solid "meals" a day since beginning of July, , mostly just mushy fruit and veg and porridge!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 07:46:46 am »
We all use dreams to process information, LOs are the same so when they are learning something new it can effect their dreams and sleep.  He's likely dreaming of crawling so the skill can be processed in his brain but finds himself starting to actually crawl in his bed which wakes him and disturbs sleep. It's very common and nothing at all to worry about.
One thing you can do is give him as much floor time as possible in the day so he gets maximum chance to practise his skills when he is awake as this may speed up the process. Less time in the highchair, stroller, car seat etc and more time on the floor may help.
Shush/pat to resettle him is fine.

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 16:40:53 pm »
Yup, we had that too:) DD would practice new skills she was learning in her sleep. Frustrating but it did pass

Offline claire1711

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 17:24:47 pm »
Thanks!  Let's hope it gets better soon!

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 17:25:51 pm »
You just need to wait it out. In couple of months it will be sitting and then standing in the cot, there really is not much we can do Im afraid, but I promise it will pass when novelty wears out.  HTH:)