Author Topic: NW 2.5 hours after bedtime  (Read 1276 times)

Offline amyebs

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 17, 2014, 02:39:45 am »
Ok ladies, help me figure this out!! I have a 4 month old EBF textbook girl who has been on EASY since week 3. She self settles into sleep about 50% of the time in her own crib, when I catch the sleep window perfectly. Otherwise, she goes to sleep quickly using my pinky as a pacifier (I have yet to find an actual pacifier she will take). 2 weeks ago the 4 month sleep regression hit, and she began to wake more in the early morning, which I just rolled with, fed her for those extra calories she seemed to need, and put her back down no biggie. The problem arose when she got sick last week. She woke up one night a couple of hours after bedtime and I couldn't get her back down by giving her my pinky. She kept waking up. So I nursed her, she fell asleep, back to the crib for about 4 more hours of sleep before the next wake to feed. Each night since, she's been waking about 2-2.5 hours after she initially falls asleep and won't settle without being fed. I've obviously created a habitual night waking. BUT, is this still part of the regression and should I just go with it? Is she OT from her day? Should I try sending in hubs with his pinky binky to stop the habitual waking? Here's her routine:

Initial wakeup and E: 6:30 am
A: 7-7:30
S: 8:00 - 9:45ish
E: 10:00
A: 10:30 - 12:00
S: 12:15 - 1:00
E: 1:15
A: 1:45-2:45
S: 3 - 4:30ish
E: 4:45
A: 5:15-6:45
E: 6:45
S: 7:30-ish (sometimes as late as 8 if she's having a hard time going down for the night)
E: 9:30ish
E: anywhere from 1-3 am
E: occasionally another depending on how early the previous E was.

We try for a catnap in the Ergo or woven wrap during the last EASY cycle of the day, but lately she won't sleep. So there you have it. Any help on what to do about the wakings so soon after bedtime? TIA!!! ;D

Amy
Momma to big bubs Wyatt and lilttle bubette Carson

Offline amyebs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 18:26:42 pm »
Can't believe no one has advice for me!! Come on, Mommas! Please help!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: NW 2.5 hours after bedtime
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 18:38:15 pm »
Can't believe no one has advice for me!! Come on, Mommas! Please help!

Welcome to BW, but give us a chance it hasn't been 24 hours since your first post yet! ;) ;D

I would say she is probably OT by bedtime if she is doing a 3/3.5 hour A time to bed with no cat nap. If you can't get her to catnap you need to bring bedtime earlier, she should settle more quickly then.

I would also stop using your finger to get her to sleep, it could be that she is waking and needs it now to go back to sleep. 4 months is when we got rid of the paci with DS and it was a fairly painless transition, we left it too late with DD and she had hers til she was 3!

What do you think?

Laura

Offline amyebs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 19:25:05 pm »
I hadn't thought about earlier bedtime. That might be just the ticket! As for the pinky thing, I had planned on beginning PU/PD when she gets to 6 months if we have to do that....my hope was that our 50% of easy transitions into sleep will naturally turn into more like 100% as she gets older? Pipe dream?! My 1st took serious, heavy-duty work to get to sleep independently. I'm navigating strange waters by having a kid who knows how to self settle naturally about half the time.