Author Topic: Question about cluster feeding  (Read 910 times)

Offline athenasmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • What ice cream ... I had no ice cream!!!
Question about cluster feeding
« on: July 20, 2014, 01:47:30 am »
My dd is 3 weeks old. She falls asleep at every feeding. It is a challange to keep her up or wake her up. I am trying to implement the cluster feeding before bedtime. She usually nurses between 5:30 and 6:00 p.m. then takes a nap, sometimes for an hour sometimes less. Then bath and another feed at 8:00 before bt. Since she falls asleep at this feeding, I practically nurse her to sleep which I am not happy about. I know that she is very young, but I would like to start a good routine. When I tried to turn things around and nurse before bath then settle dd for bedtime things did not work out well. She would settle for 30-45 min than would want to eat again. She would take a full feeding. Another issue is that she has reflux pretty bad and  needs to be upright after each feeding for 30 min at least. So if she wakes up after the feeding she falls asleep on my shoulder. So either way, it will make independent sleep hard. Shold I just keep things thi way for now since she is so young? I assume she will grow out of reflux soon and will stay awake during feedings so this will not be an issue.
*Suzanna*

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Question about cluster feeding
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 04:47:43 am »
Lol I replied to your post on the other thread before I saw this one! Honestly I fed all three of mine to sleep at bedtime for as long as they would allow it - DD3 lasted the longest until about 3-4 months. It never impacted them self settling for naps or turned into any prop issue really (well I do a lot of apop with DD3 but with three kids I have taken the path of least resistance there!). Also with reflux at play I would be waiting to work on any sleep training until it is under control as nothing will really work if a lo is in discomfort/pain.
Heidi