Author Topic: Bottle to sippy cup in the am=tantrums!  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Bottle to sippy cup in the am=tantrums!
« on: July 20, 2014, 20:16:16 pm »
Hi all,

Just interested to see if anyone has btdt with this... DD has been quite happily taking her morning bottle with 2oz formula and 7oz full-fat milk for the last week (drinks around 6-7oz total). Today, I offered it in a sippy cup and the screaming was immense!

I have been offering milk with meals for the last 2 weeks or so, but she usually takes a sip and turns her nose up at it. I've done everything Tracy recommended.

Really keen to drop this bottle as she's been so good at dropping the others, I worry it's become a bit of a prop. Any ideas? I worry she won't get her recommended  calcium allowance even thought she still has a 8oz bottle of formula at BT. Do I have to be a little more forceful about it dyt??

Cheers x

Offline BeeAnn

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Bottle to sippy cup in the am=tantrums!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 21:00:08 pm »
Yes, that all sounds very familiar!  DD flat out refused to drink out of a sippy cup in the morning.  We then used a straw cup (which we actually used for her water too) and she protested quite a lot for about two weeks and then slowly started drinking from it.  Now 6 months on she is fine about drinking from her straw cup (although she did have a little complain when I switched type of cup on her!).  I would persevere and see how it goes in a few weeks.

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 21:18:51 pm »
My DD only wanted milk from a bottle too, even though she'd been drinking water from a sippy for months.  She was down to a morning and an evening bottle, not going to bed with milk, and we were brushing teeth so I didn't mind keeping the bottles, and just continued to try milk in a cup every once in a while.  One day she just accepted the cup and downed the whole thing as if it was a bottle.  She was about 18 months then, and still chugs her cup of milk twice a day at nearly 3yrs old! 

Anyway, I think the whole no bottles after a year thing is more to do with teeth than the bottle itself being a problem.  I wouldn't worry about it yet, especially just for one a day
Emma

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 21:22:26 pm »
Oh, and calcium doesn't have to be from milk or formula.  Does she eat other dairy like cheese and yogurt?  Also if she is a decent eater in general and eats a variety she'll be getting calcium from other foods too.
Emma

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 22:33:05 pm »
I second the idea of trying a straw. We dropped the BT bottle first (at 12 months switched to sippy of milk with a solids snack before bath and BT) which went super smoothly, he didn't take a lot of milk but there was no BT disruption.  Then I tried to switch the morning milk and it was just no go at all. Glat out refused it in the sippy even though he was taking a small milk in his sippy at supper time.  So over a few weeks I tried the straw, a fat disposable straw (not the thinner kind), I popped it in his bottle and when he kicked off I just quickly put the teat back on the bottle. Tried every few days until he took it (at 13 months). He took the full amount too.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 08:09:36 am »
Thanks so much all.. It's such a relief to know we aren't the only ones!

She's usually so adaptable to change that this one really threw me! She took 7oz of milk on it's own today so I know it's not the taste of it.

Thanks for the idea of the straw, I'll give it a couple of days and try that in the bottle. I think the novelty of the idea with it in the bottle might be fun for her.

Oh and Enami, she loves cheese and yoghurt.. Would eat them all day! Would still like her to drink milk though, even if it's just in the morning!! I'm not worried about her teeth as we brush them straight after breakfast and after her bottle at night.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 08:31:40 am »
If the straw works you could buy a cup/bottle with an integrated straw in the lid which might be more convenient, although when I tried a couple I felt the straw didn't wash well so reverted back to disposable straws - multi coloured pack of 100 from the £ shop - then rinsed them out and kept them for crafts. Once DS was settled into having his milk this way he loved choosing which colour straw to have each morning.

Hope it goes well for you.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 09:39:05 am »
Hi all,

Just wanted to pop back and tell you how we've been getting on. She did take to the straw after a while but I had to hold the end to keep some milk in there, then she sucked it out iykwim?

Today, she took around 4-5oz sucking on the straw herself with me holding the sippy cup! Even had some at snack time!

So, thank you all very much again.. Just hope she keeps it up! X

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 20:08:01 pm »
Great update :)