Author Topic: Please help! Not sure where to start with my 5 & a half month old!!  (Read 914 times)

Offline Gembean

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

Really hoping I can get some advice please...

I have sadly got my little chap into the habit of feeding himself to sleep (breastfed) & for the most part he has slept in with me since he was born!

I brought the book & I'm trying to figure our where to start!! I have out little man in his cot tonight but it's taken ages & after several wakes & lots of screaming I resorted to feeding him to calm him! Now I feel like a failure although as we speak he is asleep in his cot!!

Am I asking too much from him that he sleeps in his cot & he settles himself? Should I be concentrating on getting him use to sleeping in his cot before introducing the self soothing?

Also, totally at a loss as to where to start with implementing EASY!  Should I spend a couple of days making note of his current (very loose due to teething & his first cold!) routine or should I start straight away? I'm really worried because at the moment he is so use to feeding himself to sleep... I'm panicking that I've done so much damage to his ability to get himself off to sleep!!

Hope I've posted in the right section, if not sorry!!

Thanks, Gem

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Please help! Not sure where to start with my 5 & a half month old!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 07:52:39 am »
Hi Gem and welcome to the forums :)

There are some links here that you may find useful:
Starting EASY - all you need to know and more!
Starting E.A.S.Y. at Four Months or Older

Well done on getting him to sleep in his cot, that's a great start.  It's really up to you if you want to do things one at a time, or all at once.  In terms of is it too much to ask of him - no I don't think it is.  It's very reasonable for a five month old to sleep in a cot and self-settle, but he will need a little help to get there given it's a skill he hasn't yet learned. 

Keeping track of your routine for a day or two is a good plan.  If you post it here we can check to make sure there's nothing there that could be making it harder for him to learn to self-settle (sleep training always has to go hand in hand with an appropriate routine). 

Will look forward to your reply x