Author Topic: Giving water in the night instead of a BF?  (Read 942 times)

Offline Honeymonster

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Giving water in the night instead of a BF?
« on: July 21, 2014, 09:33:02 am »
Hello, my LO is a big 5months and 3weeks old and is having 4 feeds through the day no Dream feed and usually one through the night. My issue is when she has her feed through the night which is anywhere between 1am and 4.30am sometimes she wakes a second time in the night but usually goes back to sleep with a cuddle and very rarely is hungry, she's never very hungry through the night but hungry enough to not want to go back to sleep without feeling a bit full. The issue is that she has completely gone off her morning feed for a few weeks now. She usually wakes at 7.30 and will sometimes be hungry enough to take a feed by 8.30/9.. Last night she went down at 7, woke once to feed at 4am.. I was aware she'd probably not be hungry on wake up so let her feed for a tiny bit and took her off before she took a full feed. She then slept until 7.30 when I woke her and wouldn't take a feed all morning and has now just gone back down for a nap at 10am with no milk! She's not very big on her milk at the best of times and goes mad if you offer her the boob when she's not hungry so taking a top up is out of the question.

I have no problem feeding her through the night if she needs it but I think she clearly doesn't and feel if I could get back to her taking a full feed first thing then she'd get enough through the day. Would feeding a bottle of water mixed with a tiny bit of milk (she won't drink just water) when she wakes in the night serve to fill her up but her still be hungry for breakfast? I'm going back to work soon and would live to be able to give her a big feed first thing before I go.

Any ideas? I've tried a DF in the past but it never seems to change how much she wakes in the night and she's harder to settle back down when she wakes if she's not getting filled up.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Giving water in the night instead of a BF?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 20:46:55 pm »
Personally at this young age I wouldn't offer any water in place of milk. If she fills up on water she is losing out on essential nutrients and it could affect your supply.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011