Author Topic: How can I possibly do pu pd if breastfeeding?  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Mrsb3

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How can I possibly do pu pd if breastfeeding?
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:58:26 am »
How can I be sure she has had enough calories that day?  ???I would love to put her to bed at 7.30 but would feel awful if she was still hungry and I just kept putting her back down. I did this method with my now 13 month old but he was ff so I knew he wasn't hungry. At the moment my daughter eats all. The.time she is hungry every 30 mins sometimes and she feeds on demand. Just can't get my head around it. Might wait till she is on solids and taking formula at 6 months. Is anyone achieving this?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: How can I possibly do pu pd if breastfeeding?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 12:15:20 pm »
How old is your LO? I would aim to space feeds at an age-appropriate interval so that she is not snacking, and you have some predictability as to whether she is hungry or not.

If I put my DS down at 7.30 and he woke anything up to 2 hours after that I would try and resettle him. After that I would feed (at least at first, then as he got older I tried to space it out further).

Conversely to what I expected, the further apart my DS fed in the day, the less times he woke at night - this was from about 6 months onwards.

My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 13:30:49 pm »
I do think it is possible to sleep train a EBF baby, having done it myself, twice :)

eats all. The.time she is hungry every 30 mins sometimes and she feeds on demand.
I don't think it's possible that she could in fact be hungry every 30 minutes.  I mean, could you if you'd just eaten your lunch?   Logically, if she's had a proper feed, then she won't be.  There's something else going on here, she's got into the habit of snacking, she wants to comfort suck, she wants a snuggle, or something else.  Does she have any trouble latching?

Like MJ&N, I would want to know how old she is and how long she feeds for.  Are you offering both breasts for each feed? I would try to look for her different signs - tiredness, need for a new activity, and hunger. 

Unless she's a teeny preemie, she should be able to go a minimum of 1.5-2 hours between feeds.  Many babies from 6 weeks or older (and often younger) can do 3 hours, and many 4 mos and older babies can go 4 hours.  Since you mention being worried about her being hungry at BT, I should mention that many people cluster feed in the evening (so two feeds very close together say at 5.30/6 and then 7/7.15)), and then dreamfeed around 10/10.30.

You must be feeling pretty tired if she's feeding that often!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Mrsb3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 17:18:03 pm »
Yep I'm exhausted! She foes 7 minuets on one breast then falls asleep for 30-40 mins max then eats again on se side for another 7 mins. I then alter breast every 2 feeds so she does both in just over an hour. Truly exhausting I think I'm loosing my mind. She is 6 week old and has doubled her birth weight already! Help!

Offline weaver

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 19:41:49 pm »

She is 6 week old and has doubled her birth weight already!
Wow, well done mama and baby!

OK 6 weeks old is a special time - there's a big growth spurt around 6 weeks which might explain the feeding all the time, if it's a relatively new thing.  It's also around this time that a lot of LOs start to wake up a bit to the world around them, coming out of the really brand new newborn phase.  So expect things to start changing a bit around now.

7 minutes seems a pretty short feed for that age, to me.  Both of mine did 20+ minutes at that age, tho some LOs are just naturally fast feeders.  I wonder have you tried putting her back on the same breast again?  My thinking being that perhaps she is not getting at the hindmilk (the really fatty nourishing stuff) and instead getting lots and lots of foremilk which is more like a thirst quencher. 

At this stage, I would emphasise trying gently to get into the E-A-S format, so try to feed her when she wakes up, keep nappy changes etc for after she has eaten and then go for the nap.

Lots of newborns are sleepy feeders so have a look here for tips to help her stay awake long enough!
Tips for Sleepy Newborns

And, lastly, PU/PD is not recommended before 4 mos at the very earliest and only then if other training has been tried and not worked.  At this age, you should use sh-pat.  Have a look here if you have a minute. 
Teaching Sleep- Tips from the boards
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Mrsb3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 06:48:51 am »
Thank you very much, this helps a lot!

Offline Mrsb3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 13:26:39 pm »
Also please could you tell me how can I get lo to take more each feed so she can go longer 2-3 hours would be a godsend. I have a 13 month old too you see who is demanding in other ways since he is just a baby himself. So feeding every half hour is literally killing me

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 14:52:34 pm »
Does she take a soother at all? Perhaps some of it could be comfort sucking? That might help space the feeds out a bit so that gradually she will take more.  (((Hugs))) not had two so close in age!

Oh, my oldest DD was a 5 min feeder right from the get go so it is possible - but the other two loved long bf sessions!
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 19:20:01 pm »
Did you check out the FAQ on sleepy newborns Weaver posted above? There are lots of ideas on keeping baby on the breast when they are falling asleep too soon after starting the feed.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Mrsb3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 07:53:25 am »
Yes it has some good ideas, but what is the EAS format she mentions? Did she mean easy?? Thanks

Offline Mrsb3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 07:57:08 am »
She refuses a soother but I keep trying. She dosent like bottles either

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 10:49:03 am »
We had to try quite a few brands of soothers with DD3 before she would take one!
Heidi

Offline Mrsb3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 15:12:22 pm »
I've tried mam ones, tomme tippee newborn ones and cherry type teat ones. Which ones worked for you? Also as lo gets older and eats quicker how will I know she has got the hindmilk? Is it when my boob feels empty? If it takes a newborn 40 mins does it go down one month at a time say by 6 month they can feed for 10 mins and still get hindmilk? Sorry if I'm not making sense  :-\

Offline weaver

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 18:27:34 pm »
If it takes a newborn 40 mins does it go down one month at a time say by 6 month they can feed for 10 mins and still get hindmilk?
No, you're bang on, that's the usual pattern.  There are naturally short feeders from the beginning, but I would define them as babies who do a short feed (like 5-7 mins or so) and then are happy to have activity and not eat again for a good interval, say at least 1.5 to 2 hours at 6 weeks. Heidi may have something to add on that :)

E-A-S stands for Eat-Activity-Sleep, it just means making a point of feeding on waking from the nap, having a small bit of activity (can be something as minor as a nappy change) and then going to sleep.  It's a good way of trying to avoid a feeding-to-sleep habit.  Many small babies do like to feed to sleep, and with A time so short for young babies, it can be difficult to avoid.  It's just a good pattern to get into and sets you up nicely to have a good routine.

My LO1 was a very sucky baby, and went for the cheapest pharmacy brand of soothers!

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 02:30:53 am »
Yup that is exactly it Anne - DD1 would pound down a feed in 5-7 min and be content until her next feed (can't remember timings now but I know she was pretty textbook for feeding & sleep so probably fed every 2/3 hrs that age).

DD3 likes MAM soothers but had the big ones meant for older babies from birth! DD1 liked a kind they quit making (I bought the entire shelf at the pharmacy at the time). DD2 hated soothers and finally found her thumb.
Heidi

Offline Mrsb3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 09:55:28 am »
This is all great advice, Thank you very much ladies  :)