Author Topic: Diapering at night....  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Diapering at night....
« on: July 05, 2014, 21:12:41 pm »
A quick question concerning changing diapers at night:
My LO is 5mo old and has recently begun to wake up multiple times a night!  :'( He only gets fed at 4am, but seems to think it necessary to wake up at 2am, 5am, and 6am.
Anyway, my question is if I should be changing his diaper at 4am. I have been changing it half way through his feed which usually wakes him up. I thought it was no problem as he would fall back asleep. Now, however, I'm wondering if this may be contributing to the frequent wakings thereafter? His diaper is pretty full but not filled to the brim... :-\ I don't know how much a diaper can hold, so I am nervous he's gonna wake up with it overflowing.
I have heard of double diapering, but that seems like it would be excessive, no?

Offline CCCmom27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
Re: Diapering at night....
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 23:39:42 pm »
I always went up a size for nighttime (had to use nighttime diapers and a size bigger for G) so they'd make it through the night.  I only changed diapers at night when they went #2.

Offline little_hoss

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 00:26:55 am »
I've been wondering the same thing.
I try to only change her diaper if it's really really full. We use Pampers and they're touted as 12-hour moisture wicking and we haven't had any problems with overflow. I know when they're waking its always "whats causing it?!", but I don't think it would be the diaper.

Offline theu.s.lees

• Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 01:38:31 am »
I would say to no longer be changing his diaper at night. At 5 months they should be okay to go with one diaper (unless, of course there is a poop or something). If it seems like he's overflowing, there are specific "nighttime" diapers that are bulkier but nice for nighttime. We used them with DS and DD when they seemed to be eating a little more and needing it.

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 09:04:51 am »
I only changed at night when dd would do #2. I used Huggies nappies at night and found them to be really good and no leaks :)

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 20:34:21 pm »
OK! I will skip the change. Thanks! I'll keep my eyes peeled too for night time diapers. They don't have Huggies here (Germany).

Offline PuppyLuf

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 01:58:27 am »
When I fed LO a dreamfeed, he also soaked through his diapers.  I eventually figured out this neat trick and wrote a little article about it:

http://morita.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Keep-Disposable-Diapers-from-Leaking-at-Night

Now that there's no more dreamfeed, LO pees less.  He wears a size 4 during the day, but at night I put a size 6 on him.  There are very few leaks anymore.  He rarely poops in his diaper at night anymore, although he did have some EMPings around month 4.5.

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 15:12:51 pm »
Hey that's a great article! Thanks!