Author Topic: Help with A before bed (6 wks)  (Read 851 times)

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: July 23, 2014, 00:04:21 am »
Hi all-

DS is 6.5 weeks-just a little thing. We're are keeping the EAS routine goal or 7:30-7:30.  He's a short napper so we do what we need to during the day to finish the nap (usually the sling/wrap). He is very easy to fall asleep for naps, but at bedtime we really fight.  Why!!!  That's the most difficult time for me after a long day of short naps and a 4 and 2 year old to also care for.

We do the catnap around 5:30-6:15, then I nurse him at 7 for a bedtime goal or 7:30.  He doesn't fall asleep nursing-although I wish he would!!!  I usually fight with him from 7:20-8 or longer.  He's not crying, just looking around (although we do use blackout shades) and very unsettled. 

Any ideas why???  Am I messing up the A time and catnap before bed? During the day we average a 1 hr A time.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 00:16:37 am by emily3434 »

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Help with A before bed (6 wks)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 14:23:07 pm »
Hi Emily :)

Have you tried nursing him a bit earlier, say 6.30pm aiming to have him settled in bed by 7pm?  At the moment you're aiming for your longest A time after your shortest nap (6.15-7.30pm = 1h15) which may possibly be an issue. 

He is also tiny and evenings are an issue for many at this age even with a seemingly perfect EASY.  It may be this is a phase you just need to ride out for a while so if aiming earlier for BT doesn't make a difference I would probably do what you can for now, and see if things settle on their own given a bit more time x

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 17:15:48 pm »
Good idea- I can try that.  It's such a challenge with 2 other kids to out down, and I'm often solo at bedtime.  I can't imagine he's overtired like you said- it's a long A time.  He's just cooing and looking around-which makes me crazy when I have others to attend to! 

What are your thoughts on a longer catnap (ap of course) buying me more time?   What A would be recommended after a 30-40 min catnap?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Help with A before bed (6 wks)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 18:06:39 pm »
I think you have to adapt the routine to suit your circumstances - and I'm finding that getting two LOs to bed is hard enough, never mind three!  So yes a longer catnap may help you out in that sense.  It's hard to put a specific number on the A time after a catnap though.  Some LOs will do near enough a full A time afterwards, others will need a shorter one - basically it's trial and error. 

I suppose if a longer CN or earlier BT don't help, you could always try a slightly later BT.  Some LOs do handle their longest A times before bed and if naps are otherwise good that may be the case with your LO too.  In other (ie non-BW) routines the time between last nap and BT is often the longest so could be worth a thought.