Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27  (Read 64939 times)

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27
« Reply #210 on: August 10, 2016, 09:51:36 am »
this transition is so hard, so yesterday

Woke 5:10 (so 10 hrs ONS) fed him and put him back down and he went back off
WU 6:10 tried for nap after 3hrs and he fought it, was miserable all morning
S 9:50 - 10:35 he woke himself I let him sleep as he 'seemed' so tired but I think it may be teeth making him so weepy that an SA, one front tooth has cut so guessing the second one is on its way
S 1:40 - 3
S 6:55 he was miserable and crying on/off from about 5:30 until bedtime

Today
WU 5:40 - went in and re-settled him but he didn't go back to sleep, got him up at 6:15
S 10 - still asleep now at 10:45 and he's just stirred so guessing that he's moved through the sleep cycle. I think for today i'm going to leave him to sleep let him catch up and try for a shorter nap later... which could of course backfire!

I think i've definitely been underestimating his A times if this morning is anything to go by that and the fact that both your LO's are doing in excess of 4hrs in the AM to get a good nap, either that or he's just crashed now.  Maybe the early nap is giving me the EMW,  thats why I pushed him today

If I could just get a decent wake up around 6:30 and then I would just fix the naps at set times, but i'm just so scared of OT. I guess its best to get a first OT nap and catch up with the second isn't it?

DS1 starts school in 4 weeks so i'm going to be in the same predicament then GAM with the school run, so things will have to change again then, although this childs sleep is a moving target and has been since he was born

Offline lolsyb1982

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #211 on: August 10, 2016, 15:29:45 pm »
Since I cut the afternoon nap to 20 mins she's started waking later so wu has been 6 the past few days rather than 5.30  :)
Lauren

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #212 on: August 10, 2016, 18:45:31 pm »
well the day panned out okay, we'll see what tomorrow morning he appears or rather shouts up!!

He slept from 10-11:20 woke himself, then I PD at 2:40 and he went straight to sleep so I woke him after an hr. Thought he would want a later BT but was moaning in the bath at 6:30 and into bed at 7, straight to sleep, perhaps because of the early start today, fxd for a 6am wakeup. His teeth have really been bothering him today which I guess can make them more tired.

How'd everyone else get on the last 24hrs?

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #213 on: August 10, 2016, 19:43:06 pm »
Sounds like he might have got OT with all the teething & nap fighting &  is catching up on some sleep now hopefully? Hope he does a good night for you. Looks like he is preferring a long am nap now..is that working out with your DS1?

GAM- I find the nap length varies on same A time for no clear reason...just have to adapt the rest of the day around it.

Lauren- yeah for later wake up!

A one nap day today...but after EW and resettling for later wu.
EW: 4.30-5.30 back to sleep until 7.30
Wu : 7.30
A: 4hr45
Nap: 12.15-14.00 but crying on waking so attempt to resettle/rest in cot until 14.15
A: 4.5hrs
BT: 6.30

I think we might have a 2 nap day tomorrow, we seem to be getting alternate 1 & 2 nap days.

"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #214 on: August 11, 2016, 09:46:39 am »
He woke at 6am, so an 11hr night... which I think is his thing for ONS. So the plan for now is keep the nap at 10am, if he starts cutting it shorter than 1hr i'll have to reassess, sure it'll all change again in the next few days! I'll then stick with 3.5 for 2nd nap and BT,  if he starts mucking about then either push out or cap the later nap more to keep a decent bedtime.

Perhaps your DD is quite far into her 2-1 journey if she can manage on 1 nap days then just throw in the 2 nap days to keep the OT at bay until she adjusts SM.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #215 on: August 11, 2016, 18:57:07 pm »
Hi everyone!

DS2 is so young for this, but boy can he cope with long A times. Today, after a really unsettled night, he went all day on a 30 minute nap.

I'm not going to stress about getting him 'proper' naps I think (particularly as we are away atm). There have been lots of days during the trip where he's done a similar thing and been fine, and then some days where he's seemed sleepier and put in a longer nap to catch up. Of course this could well be teeth as #6 is just cutting (hence last night), but my diligent attempts to get him two good naps at home were resulting in EWs. Can't win!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #216 on: August 12, 2016, 19:12:08 pm »
Hi MNJ that is crazy, if he's happy enough in himself and you're not getting EW's or NW's there isn't much you can do. How old is your LO, anything developmental going on?

So we've had one 6 am wakeup yesterday, he took the 10 am nap and fought the afternoon one until 4hr A and then did an OT 30 minute nap (sigh) and then back to EMW today just after 5am, but then he had poo'd and was hard to get back down. Managed to AP from 6:15 to 6:45 and went for 10 am nap which he fought and did an hr, then this arvo he went down at 2.30, woke after 30 mins shouting me so went in cuddled him and put him back down and he went back to sleep after bit of shuffling, I had to walk him at 4pm and he was asleep by 7:15, which I didn't expect.

We are definitely suffering with teeth and SA is really bad, worse than I remember with my first. He literally will not leave me alone, but then I pick him up and he's wriggling to get away like he doesn't know what he wants, perhaps the discomfort.

I'll be leaving both the kids in the hands of their dad tomorrow, having a day off out with girlfriends for champagne afternoon tea, so excited. DH is pretty good and will follow what I ask but right now i'm just winging it!

Any plans for the weekend ladies?

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #217 on: August 14, 2016, 12:34:36 pm »
Hope you had a great time with your friends Johnnyha.  I took DS to a BBQ yesterday so DH was in charge of DD. Pretty typical 2 nap day following my instructions! Today is a bit of a mess though- we had to go out to a big furniture store & DD fell asleep in the car on the way there for 10 mins then again in sling in shop & continued on way back but only for 45mins:
Wu: 6.20
Nap: 9.30-40
Nap 11.45-12.30

So I think I might have to try and AP another 15min nap late afternoon to get to BT.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #218 on: August 14, 2016, 19:26:47 pm »
I certainly did, left home at 10:15 am and didn't get in until 11pm, and I was shattered. M was nice to his mummy and slept until 6:30 and R had a sleepover at nanny and granddads so a good weekend. DH pretty much stuck to routine and he did an 11.5hr night with two naps of 1hr 20.

As I suspected his second front tooth made an appearance today, so probably explains the whiney behaviour and terrible SA. I have a feeling the next set on the bottom are on there way too.  He short napped on me this morning at 10am which I think was discomfort so I medicated for nap 2 and as usual a 1hr20 nap so brought bedtime back a tad.

How did your afternoon go SM, did she take that CN for you? I hope so, either that or guess it was EBT?

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #219 on: August 14, 2016, 20:11:19 pm »
Sounds like a fun day with your friends, Johnnyha 😀

DD fell asleep in the buggy at 4.50 so I just gave her 10mins and she lasted until 7.30 BT. I suspect we'll get a broken night either from OT because if short naps or UT because of late pm nap ::)
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #220 on: August 16, 2016, 14:39:00 pm »
How's everyone doing?

We're having an odd few days...short naps on Sunday, last night DD refused to go to sleep until 8pm and then slept in until 8.30 am (after NWs at 5 and a feed at 6.30). I put her down for her nap at 1pm amd she's still asleep now (3.40)...just wondering whether to wake her or give her the time as catch up sleep.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #221 on: August 16, 2016, 20:51:31 pm »
what did you do in the end SM? I would have woken at 4pm and gone for bed at 8pm with such a long nap.

He did 2 X 1hr naps yesterday woke at 5:40 was trying to go back to sleep so I fed him and had to wake at 7am to get us all ready for the day. Then today he fought the 10am nap, finally went off at 10:25, cried out at the 40 minute mark and awake after another 15 mins, PM nap after 3hr15 and he slept the usual 2 sleep cycles so in guessing after a good night he's wanting longer A. I'll see how we go tomorrow, our WU is never consistent

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #222 on: August 17, 2016, 09:14:47 am »
Hi everyone!

Gosh, here I am again back at the 2-1. This feels so long ago since DS went through this 3 years ago but at the same time the torture of it is as clear as day!

I'm having great difficulty with my DD... We've been doing a set nap of 10am and then a late CN no more than 30 minutes if am nap was good, capping at 4. I'm finding BT a real struggle however... Since we started capping the second nap she's either screaming when we go into her room, or crying for at least 20 minutes before falling asleep. Or tonight, she cried going into sleeping bag and in my arms and into bed but then lay awake trying to get to sleep, sucking her thumb for ages.

Her morning AM nap is also not as restorative as I think she'd have me believe. I know she isn't crying or needing my help to resettle but by the looks of her on my monitor, she never falls back to deep sleep after she wakes from her first sleep cycle at the 40 minute mark. The remaining 1hr or up to the 2hr mark is spent sucking her thumb, falling asleep then stirring again to suck thumb, play with comforter, roll around, every 5minutes or less - mostly with her eyes shut but not the solid, out cold arms out by her sides sleep she does the first 40 minutes.

Today was:
WU: 6.40-7.00 ?
Nap 1: 10.00 - 12.00 but as described above.
Nap 2: 3.15; 3.25-3.55. Cried going down and woke after 30 minutes crying but I just got her up...
BT: 6.50 into bed; 7.15 after crying whilst getting ready and into bed, at least no crying tonight.
^^ I tried earlier tonight as last night was into bed at 7.00 and she cried (very loud mantra crying) for 20 minutes and then stirred every few minutes before finally falling asleep at 7.30.

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #223 on: August 17, 2016, 09:32:04 am »
Hi sounds like she could be a little UT for that first nap. Have you tried pushing that A out just a touch?
Lauren

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #224 on: August 17, 2016, 13:01:11 pm »
Thanks Lauren, ScottishMummy has been helping me with this routine and we've only been doing 10am for about a week. My problem is that she's quite difficult to keep awake and entertained through that first A and falls asleep when I'm putting her into bed. She'll also fall asleep in the car often only 2hrs after WU so I feel trapped and can't go anywhere in the morning for fear of messing up our day.
I can try a slight push if you think it may help?! How do I structure the rest of the day if she does 1hr20/2hrs from a later PD, she won't be able to last until bedtime at 7/7.30!

Our other issue is that 2 days a week I have preschool drop off and pick up. 30 minute drive there, drop/pick up, 30 minutes home. She only sleeps 20-40 minutes in the car whether I'm driving or parked. As per above she's usually asleep by 9.30am and then i try for a longer PM nap but I have to wake at 2.30 for pick up which means that second nap is cut short, and is usually OT even with EBT.

Eeeeek, why does it have to be so hard!!?