Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27  (Read 65005 times)

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27
« Reply #225 on: August 17, 2016, 20:22:21 pm »
Johnnyha- She woke herself at 15.58! Then went to bed at 19.30 & STTN until 6.30am. She's never done that before. I think she needed the catch up sleep.

It sounds like your DS might be ready for an A time push with the morning nap.  How did today go?

Labrodyk...Just Replied to your other thread but if she is struggling since capping pm nap at 30 mins, could you go back to a 40-45min nap then?

Also, if she's falling asleep earlier & really tired at home by 10, maybe she would do better on an earlier first nap e.g. 9.30-10ish  but you might only get a short nap then and need a longer pm nap, probably starting around 1pm,  which clashes with pick up  ::). You could try it on non-kindy days though and see if better sleep on the 5 days of no pre-school can compensate for more broken sleep on only 2 days?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #226 on: August 19, 2016, 16:41:50 pm »
Hi ladies! Not sure what to do here and wondering if anyone has been through the same.

DS is almost 15 months, teething molars (yikes) and going through a leap. We have been pushing for one nap but at times doing 2 nap days depending on wake up. We had 5 successful one nap days but on night 4 and 5 we had a lot of OT wakings but no EMW or at least I treated them as NW and resettled.

Today would have been day 6 on one nap but no matter what I did (lunch included) he didn't make it a knocked out at 4 hrs A. Not sure what to do here.

Usually one nap days look like this:

WU 7:30-8
S 12:30-1 pm (5 hrs A anywhere from 1.5-2 hrs with resettling)
BT 7:30-8 pm (he's usually doing 5.25-5:30 A)

2 nap days look like:

WU 7 am
S 10:20-10:50 am
S 2:15-2:30 until 3:45ish pm
BT 7:30 pm

Not sure if u should cut the nap and aim for a longer pm but that would make a late long nap which could affect the night or let him sleep and hope for a long enough nap to stretch him to bed. I could do a late afternoon CN but that's a small chance since he fights it hard.
Jennifer xx

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #227 on: August 19, 2016, 20:17:48 pm »
I just let him stay up until he's obviously tired....which takes a lot tbh. It will serve him well when older, but it's hard work now!

Yesterday we went to the park and he decided to just do one short nap all day. I got him into bed as early as I could, but he still woke a couple of times in the early evening. You'd think today he'd be desperate for a nap, but no! Fighting it again!!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #228 on: August 20, 2016, 00:05:57 am »
Ha! I know oh to well the craziness of an LO who fights sleep. Mine is not the baby to just calmly go to sleep when he's tired. He loves being active so I have to do a nice wind down to get him to a place where he will actually sleep. Then there are times he just fights no matter what I do. He would much rather explore than to sleep. I think being so mobile and a growing awareness of the world mixed with teething and cognitive growths makes sleep the last thing on his mind! Apparently DH was the same when he was a baby. I on the other hand slept beautifully according to my mother. Here's hoping the next one will be like me!

So he ended up doing a 2 hour nap!!! Very shocking but I guess all the one nap days and two bad nights finally did him in. Of course I aimed for a 7:30 bedtime (5 hrs A) and he fought sleep for a half hour. We literally had to chase him when he escaped the bedroom lol he's learning to run!!

Hoping tonight won't be crazy  ::)
Jennifer xx

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #229 on: August 20, 2016, 18:51:50 pm »
JV- I would aim for 1 nap days as often as possible and only do the 2 nap if he really needs the catch up.

I think we might need to push to 1 nap soon.. DD has been doing alternate 2 & 1 nap days but the last 2 days started EW (5.30- yuk!) so needed 2 naps but that seems to have maintained the EW...& tonight after a good 1-3pm 2nd nap she won't go to sleep after her usual 4.5hrs A time.  So far it's been a 14.5hr day for her  :o
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #230 on: August 21, 2016, 05:14:08 am »
So looks like the EWings are back, only way I can resettle him at that time is if he had a longer day previous. I guess things need to change again and move on from the 10am nap, it's now giving me 40mins and he's waking himself when we have a decent WU. I'm just unsure whether to go back to short/long as DS1 starts school in 2 weeks and I won't be able to get a late CN with pick up, DS2 will never sleep with him in the car.

I do 'wonder' (read sometimes envy) what it must be like to be those parents with babies who just quietly nod off and go to sleep I've been blessed with two feisty spirited boys who are far more interested in the world to sleep!

I can't believe she's fighting bedtime after 4.5hr SM perhaps a little OT what A do you normally do?

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #231 on: August 21, 2016, 12:33:39 pm »
Johnnyha- it's a tricky balance with 2 isn't it.  I was going to suggest pushing the am nap later but yes understand it would make CN tricky. What time is school pick up, if you had a later long am nap, it would be a later, shorter CN..would you be able to fit it in once you got home?

DS starts pre-school this week & it's a 1200 pick up which is DD's naptime on a 1 nap day. Not sure how to manage it yet.

I managed to get DD back to sleep eventually this morning after a 5.15wu so hoping the later start and a 1 nap day will give us a later Wu tomorrow.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #232 on: August 21, 2016, 20:57:33 pm »
I guess if he does a good am nap he would probably last until we're back
From the school run DS1 will finish at 3:20pm  normally but the first week is 12:30
So that would throw a spanner in there until after that first week.

Yay on getting her back to sleep, M woke at the same time resettled himself  for about 20 minutes then the playing and chatter started, he didn't go back to sleep and we got up at 6:30am he short napped at 10am OT and the again at 1:30pm woke after an hr couldn't do earlier as we went swimming, managed to AP another 30mins then he was up! He was asleep for 7, so Fxd for a resettle tomorrow.

So are you alternating 1 and 2 nap days now dependent on WU? I don't think M can handle much more than 4hr A in the am so we're in that sticky phase!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #233 on: August 22, 2016, 14:17:31 pm »
We will have the school run, too. I don't even want to think about it! Some days I will push him onto one nap and see what happens.

We've had a one nap day, then 2x two nap days. That allowed us to go out last night, which was nice. I can see this transition taking a while.

Johnnyha, you might be close to me!

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #234 on: August 22, 2016, 20:24:53 pm »
I'm a wuss and dare not push him to do one nap when he probably now needs a mix, our nights are solid and I just don't want the broken sleep with NWings.

He woke at 4:15am today definitley OT and I fed him at 4:45, he woke at 6:40 I on the other hand did not go back to sleep yuk! Kept nap at 10am and capped at 30 mins, the 3hr A he did 1hr20. Let's see what tomorrow brings, I may cap it to 20 mins see what sort of 2nd nap that gets us.

How old is your LO MJ&N. Are you a Cheshire girl too?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #235 on: August 22, 2016, 20:32:27 pm »
He's just turned 9 months. Early, but his nights are so much better on a one nap day.

We are in East Cheshire! I'm not from here originally, I moved here after uni.

Offline grace annes mommy

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #236 on: August 23, 2016, 01:10:28 am »
Sorry I've been MIA.  Haven't fully caught up on everyone's posts.

I was out of town for a long weekend last week and DH had J.  He did 2 nap days while I was gone with no issue, but when I got back, we were back to faffing til 9pm with 2 nap days, etc. 

I've pushed to 1 nap for about a week now and I think we may be there.  She was hovering around 4.5 A time and I nudged her along and now she's handling 5+ A times without much issue (although she's always handled OT well).  Yesterday was a real test because she had a shorter nap from 11:30 til 1pm (we've been getting 2.5 hrs +).  I'd planned to put her down for a 2nd nap but we got held up at an appt. so I couldn't.  I put her down for bed at 6:30 and she slept til 6:10am.

With DD1, after we'd reached 1 nap, I set her nap time and then did A times for BT as she was sensitive to OT for bed.  So, for instance, I set a 12pm nap regardless of WU, then did 5 hrs to bt depending on nap length.  I may do something similar with J now.  11:30 is working well for the nap.  I'd like to nudge it to 12 or later, but she seems like she may need a longer A til bed.  Will probably give it another couple weeks.

Have to say, it's nice to be closer!  This transition is so tricky!

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #237 on: August 23, 2016, 10:21:22 am »
I'm jealous GAM! We were almost there with alternate 1 & 2 nap days then last week DD started STTN but waking at 5.30/45. Now we're stuck with this routine and it doesn't shift as I can't keep her awake in the morning:
Wu: 5.30-45
Nap 1: 9.30/45 for 10-15 mins
Nap 2: 1-2.45/3
BT 7.30 asleep by 8

I should probably push her to one nap but DS has started nursery and pick up is 12.00 so the 1pm long nap is actually better for us right now.
DD starts nursery settling in soon & I go back to work in 2wks so it is likely to all go wrong for a while anyway so I'm not going to try to change it just yet ...& will just have to have early bedtimes myself for all the early starts.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #238 on: August 24, 2016, 13:02:06 pm »
So I thought i'd try your routine SM and see what that gives us. We have had wake up between 4/4:30 the last few days with a resettle but still Ewing, today was 5:40. This was with nap at 10am for 30/40 mins, he was then doing an hr for 2nd nap. So today I stuck with the 10 am start but only let him have 20 mins, he went to sleep at 1:15/20 woke after 30 mins - OT no surprise from the long morning, but he's been absolutely fine today I thought he would be a bear but did the nap in the car so that helped too.

She definitely looks like she's ready for the one nap, if she's able to cope with the 10/15mins in the am and do a settled pm nap for you.

I know I've just been to look at nurseries for M, not looking to start him until October and by then i'm sure it will be one nap regardless so on those days that's what happened with DS1 anyway.

MJ&N i'm in that part of the county too, near a little place called Nantwich, I'm a local that moved away but came back when I had my first.

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #239 on: August 24, 2016, 15:19:47 pm »
Well that didn't up to plan, woke after an hr and I couldn't re settle him, surely he must be OT after only 20 mins this morning pah!