Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27  (Read 65003 times)

Offline BusterB

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 20:31:58 pm »
I'm So over this. I've read every book out there...I've read Baby Whisperer front to back about a billion times...I've poured about a degrees worth of research, time and effort into this...and it's just not working.

Green007 - this is exactly how I feel.... I have put in so much effort to trying to understand and help me & my son, but am utterly sick of trying to figure things out as every day is so totally different for us and the idea of being able to follow any kind of routine seems laughable.

My intention this week was to try to follow the set nap/BT times - but after him finally sleeping enough and waking late enough one morning to do a 1 nap day, he followed it with an 8 hour night - it took me over 2 hours to finally get him to sleep at 9:15pm and he was wide awake at 5:45am (with NW at 11pm).... so there was absolutely no chance of him managing a long A time to do another 1 nap day after that, he managed a 4hr A but passed out after that. 

I give up - have resigned myself to the fact that with a baby that only sleep a max of 10.5 hours at night, but can handle long A times on little sleep, I'm just going to have to muddle through and take each day as it comes. Which at the moment usually means having to do 2 capped naps and battling with either a wide awake or OT baby for up to 4 hours at bedtime.

Green007, I don't have the added pressure of having to go back to work imminently, so I can't imagine having my hand forced like that but I really hope that if/when you go cold turkey in the next 3 weeks, it works out. Please keep us posted!

Offline Green007

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 18:16:09 pm »
Buster B. I'm sooooo sorry you feel the same as I do. It is sooooo rotten. I've literally devoted the last 10 months to this cause and I'm no further ahead. I had the same plan as you...day to day...that's all I could do. Now that I'm going back to work...My new plan is to move her nap as close to 12:30 as I can...if she only sleeps 30 mins...I'll put her in for a CN at 4:30 (I'll be home by 4:15...husband will be picking them up at 4) and that's all I can do. I can't fix this...I've accepted that. So my dream of her being on the same schedule as my son is and was is just not to be...and I have to accept that. It is what it is. I say that now but I'm sure once my new plan goes in the pooper and we're all exhausted due to NW's and EW's...I'll be on here crying for help! Lol :P

Offline babybarr

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 21:23:44 pm »
FWIW we've just been powering through with one nap at a set time and catnap in car in the afternoon if we're out. I can't say it's a magic formula. We usually get 1.5hr nap and nights and ews hit and miss but it just helps everything by having consistency. That said h fell asleep in the swing in the park today!
LAURA xx

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
    • DIY Home Health Physical Therapy
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2014, 17:49:14 pm »
Haven't been on in awhile... think I jinxed myself by doing so!  LO is doing 2 hour nap in afternoon, then as soon as I hop on here, I hear him fussing and crying after 45 min... will give him about 5 minutes and see if he settles.  Started a wonder week this week... runny nose today... may be teething issues... walking more... 14 m/o now... hum... we'll see... better get off to see if he settles again! 

Hope everyone is making some progress! 

What?  silence?  OK... guess he'll be out for awhile longer... good thing I decided to wait it out a bit!  Oh if it were always that simple!  Hugs to those struggling!  Glad this boat is big enough for us all!

With God all things are possible!

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2014, 06:12:22 am »
I'm a massive fan of set nap and bedtimes.  We've struggled lots with NW and ew and I was making myself nuts with a times, and it was hard to make plans so I went to set naps pretty early on and it works for us.

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2014, 06:19:32 am »
Me too.. Massive fan here of set nap(s) and BT. Got to love consistency!  :)

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2014, 17:27:51 pm »
I'm a big fan of set naps too esp since my little guy is hardly showing any sleeping signs now and goes down between 12:30 and 1 now... still sleeps for about two hours and BT is at 8pm give or take a few minutes depending on the day.

Gotta hate wonder weeks though!  They always seem to land more teeth as well.  Hmmm...

Taking my first 3.5 hour trip with him (at this age, 14 months) this week to Grammy and Gramps house and am very nervous that I'll mess all my hard work up... tell me it will be OK!  :)  Just need some hugs and some encouragement.

Thanks!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2014, 17:33:12 pm »
It'll be fine hun. I was really surprised with O when we had to do a 6hr car trip not so long ago. They soon slip back into their natural rhythm. Funnily enough, we're off to see grandma and granddad for a few days too this week!!

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2014, 00:42:08 am »
Thank you Kellyjs!  Just needing some re-assurance.  Waylon has proven to me over and over again that he is a champion sleeper unless teething and sickness (but only been sick once in his 14 month life!)  So, I needn't worry, but I do... thanks a ton!  Have fun on your trip!

Hugs!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2014, 05:43:06 am »
You too! ((Hugs))

Offline BusterB

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2014, 05:49:17 am »
I'm very envious of all the set naps & BTs... jut can't make that work here.

On the bright side something changed last week & my son is now STTN all of a sudden, NWs are now pretty rare! But the 10.5 hour nights are still firmly our standard and he sleeps best at night when limited to just over 1 hour total of naps in the day.

The 1 nap days we have done have all resulted in such an EBT (for us) that with a 10.5hr might, we are up too early to follow the same routine on day 2 & if I try pushing him to hit a set nap time, he gets so OT we get an even shorter night & I have to go back to 2 naps and the cycle continues! Can't find any consistency...

Am all ears if anyone has any thoughts on making it work? But otherwise I will just have to ride this out with the very flexible routine, until he can consistently cope with REALLY long A times. He managed 6 hours between a lunchtime nap & BT last night and then STTN for 10.5hrs... so hopefully won't be too long.

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2014, 18:06:35 pm »
Well, didn't go on the trip... was bummed.  Mom ended up in the emergency room that previous night so thought it better to wait.  She is OK... but then to face the week with no plan! 

So, my LO is pushing his nap time to about 1:10 now... I'm afraid he will soon need me to be capping his nap... will play around with that but seems anything beyond 3pm make normal 8pm BT toast.

Ride it out BusterB... he might just need more rest than most and OT is a bear, as you know.  Keep us posted!  Kelly, how was your trip?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2014, 18:18:07 pm »
Still on it hun, back home tomorrow. So sorry about your mum, I hope she's ok?

It's been great but naps have been hit or miss! The other day she only had 2x 29mins car naps and refused EBT! Played around for 1.5hrs. Needless to say we had a EW the next morning but pushed her through till 12 and allowed her to sleep until her normal wu from nap time (2.75hrs). Seemed she got back on track ok. But again today had to do 2 naps to cope with a day out! It kinda sucks this one nap thing now if you fancy a day trip!  ::)

If it makes you feel any better, we're capping the nap to 2hrs max now on a normal day. Suppose it won't be too long until we're on the 1-0 board  ;) x

Busterb.. I'm thinking you're right hun. Yours is obviously super LSN. If the flexible routine is working and the nights are better, personally I'd stick with it. It's different if the nights are crappy too.

Offline 3littlemen

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2014, 02:48:13 am »
Ladies - just wondering if someone on long am naps could help me out... we're working on pushing the first a time out, up to 4hr first a time. I don't know how to fit the rest of the day in though....What have you girls done - and what should/shouldn't you have done!!???!! Tbh, long or short am/opposite pm - either one suits me, and I thought the idea of BW was to go with the lo's a times....so do you freeze the first a time at say 3h30 (then make do with UT naps) or do you keep moving it out? Which works best in the end? long or short am????
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:22:25 am by 3littlemen »

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2014, 12:25:17 pm »
Personally long am/short pm worked for me as I couldn't find the right A time to get a longer nap in the afternoon.

We just kept pushing out the first A capped the nap at 1.5hrs then did a CN 3.5hrs later. Some days she'd refuse it, others not. I had to keep capping tha CN from 30mins, to 20 then 15 as the first A time got longer and to stop the day getting too long iykwim?

We started off by doing:

Wu 6.30
A 4hrs 15mins
S 10.45-12.15 1.5hrs capped
A 3.5hrs
S 3.45-4.15 30mins capped
A 2hrs 45mins
BT 7ish

Then we got playing around at BT and nap refusal so quickly jumped to...

Wu 6.30
A 5hrs
S 11.30-1.30 uncapped
A 3.5hrs
Tried for a CN often refused. If she took it she had 15mins max
BT either 6.30 if no nap, 7 if she did but often didn't fall asleep until 7.30

This caused OT early WU's after BT so had to push out the first A even more. So now we're on:

Wu 6.30
A 6hrs
S 12.30-2.30 capped
A 4.5hrs
BT 7

I had to do the set nap thing in the end as she woke early more often than not. So I know I've said the times were wu from 6.30 but she used to actually wu around 6, but we didn't get up and start our day until 6.30. I've noticed I do get a shorter nap now (1.5hrs)  if I wake her at 6.30 as the A isn't as long. Probably means she's looking to push out that first A by another 15mins  ::)

Hth xx