Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27  (Read 65014 times)

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2014, 03:51:49 am »
Yup, I also did the long am, short pm nap.  It seemed a more natural progression towards the mid-day nap for me.  I just slowly kept pushing my DS by 15-30 minutes every week and when he started sleeping for 1.5 hours at a stretch from 11:30 onwards, I dropped the pm nap. It did make bed times a little confusing.  We moved the bed time around depending on how long he napped for, what a fiasco that was!  In the end, we said "to heck with this!".  We pushed him to noon, he slept until 2 and he goest to bed at 6:45, every night, come hell or high water.  Now he naps from 12:30-2:30 but same diff.

Offline 3littlemen

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2014, 05:43:25 am »
That's what I'm thinking!!! It seems more 'fair' to me to let him get tired, then let him sleep for as long as he likes and then work out the rest from there. Makes bt interesting as you say, but at least you get a 'proper' nap out of them per day (hopefully).

Laura did you cap the am nap at anything? And when you still had to fit two naps in so the day wasn't too long in the arvo, how did you work out the a times??

Currently having some WIWO going on.... damn you UT first nap!! I hate you! >:(

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2014, 16:32:28 pm »
I had to check back to my previous posts to answer your question! 
In the very beginning I did cap the morning nap at an hour, and then I gave him an 1.5 in the afternoon.  However, once he was taking his naps at 11am, I stopped capping the am nap and capped the pm at an hour (sounds confusing, right?!). 
My focus was on pushing his morning 'A' time, which is why I was capping the first nap.  Once he was able to stay awake for longer, I just let go.  It happened rather suddenly too, one morning I put him down at 10:30, then next he happily ran around until just before 11 and then crashed.  I found from then on, I could push him in half hour increments instead of fifteen.

Offline 3littlemen

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2014, 21:42:06 pm »
Thanks Laura... Our first a time is about 4hrs now, so I'm thinking that i'll have to cap it until it gets to 4h30 or so with 4h on the other side and early bt.... How did you figure out what a time in between though? ON sunday we had 4hr followed by a 3hr nap, then I got a cn after only 3hr and he held out at bt until 3h30. Yesterday after 3h40 atime first up, he did 1h30, then fought for an hour before having a cn at 4h! bt 3h15 later....I'm going for 4hr this morning again, but don't know where that leaves me!

Offline Green007

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2014, 00:57:13 am »
DD is 14 months. Just started walking this week. A time is about 5h20 mins. But nap lengths are all over the place. Day home provider says she should be napping at 1:00 ...which would be a 6 hour A...which we've done and got a 35 min nap. Anyways...2 questions. Would a 1h20 min nap be OT or UT? How bout 1h40? And, did anyone notice naps go wonky when babes started walking?

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
    • DIY Home Health Physical Therapy
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2014, 00:31:48 am »
Hey there...

Well, mom is doing great... in fact they came today from Ohio...just for the day...was wonderful!

Question... HUGE question!  Is there a sleep regression at 14 months or is this HUGE change in my baby's sleep related to this Wonder Weeks Leap?  Just starting yesterday... cry cry cry when I put him down for his nap... has been a champion sleeper, usually cooing or talking for a few minutes before nodding off... but wow!  Awful... I finally picked him up and drove him around our gravel road at less than 5 mph for 1.5 hours!  We did have playmates over that morning - they left just about 15 min before nap time... perhaps he was too jazzed up to sleep?  But then the same thing last night... he cried for 13 minutes and then was out.  No NW or EW (yet).  Same thing today.  I put him down a bit later thinking his A time was extending... long story short, same thing but this time I had to cap his nap in the car at 1 hour and 10 minutes to preserve BT.  He screamed in the car today whereas yesterday was asleep within 30 seconds of starting the car.  He did not quiet down today in the car until I turned on some soft lullabies.  So, tonight, same thing... scream scream scream... he was dry, fed and comfy clothes.  I turned some soft music on and he stopped within about 1 minute of that.  Not sure if it was the music or he just remembered that crying last night didn't get him out of the crib!  :)

Any thoughts?  He does have a molar coming in but the nap and BT crying carries on whether he's got teething gel on his gums or not.  He has been walking for about 1.5 months now... just becoming such an interactive little guy... it's wonderful... just not the putting him down to sleep part right now :(

Open to thoughts and suggestions... I'll ride it out (literally!) and am much less anxious about this round of "regressions" than I have been in the past...

Thanks for any input.

Hugs,
Marcia
With God all things are possible!

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2014, 12:28:55 pm »
Have you tried medicating 20mins before the nap and BT Marcia? We're using ibuprofen only at those times as the molars are bulging and I can also see the canines showing through the gum  ::)

There's an 18mo sleep regression than can sometime hit at 16mo I've seen. 14mo might be a little early so thinking it's teeth related?

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2014, 06:38:45 am »
Hi! It's been ages since we have been on here!! Good to see most people are coming on well, but also soooo reassuring to see that others r also having their ups and downs too. Makes me feel normal!!

I am still struggling after months of trying to get this 1 nap sorted. Feels like we r going backwards!

Basically nursery has messed up everything!! The staff r lovely but obviously it is hard for them to follow and kind of rigid plan as I would so naps r all over the shop. The week before last we managed 1 whole week of 1 nap days.OT was definitely building but ok until Saturday where after a 6 am  start lo was miserable and we had to put him for a 9am nap. Since then any kind of routine seems impossible!

If nursery do 1 nap ( around 12/12.30) they often get a short 45 min or less nap or occasionally bit longer, but obviously not enough. Unless he wakes earlier than probably 11 we can never get another nap.

A few weeks ago he did amazing 2 hour nap twice in nursery, once after a ridiculously short A and once after much longer but never consistent.

Yesterday I made the mistake of doing 2 naps ās had a christening to go to so last nap let him have a long sleep as think he has been really tired. No bt till 8.10 and up at 6.30 do no way will he manage a 1 nap day!!! Previously this would have given bit later wake up and we could have had 1 nap day.

He never sleeps more than 11.5 hr night whatever has happened with day naps so ebt when OT just means early start and no 1 nap days.

Ideas???? The toddler board has given great advice about set naps which I have tried to push but what do I do if lo is shattered by 9am or after short nights? Also what do people do about going out for the day? Lo sleeps barely ever in buggy and if he does it's about half hour! With 2 naps obviously there is a bit more freedom at times, but I know this can't last.

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2014, 10:50:24 am »
Right on Kellyjs!  I was doing the teething gel but did as you suggested... worked wonders!  He's cutting 3 first year molars all at the same time!  Wow!  Thankful for a jaw that has limited teeth!

We are getting back to normal with naps and BT - thanks so much for the advice...  didn't discover the 3 molars all at once until yesterday but had added the ibuprofen dose a few days back.

Off to Ohio today... raining all day so say a prayer that things will go smoothly.  My first trip by myself with my dear LO.  3.5 hour drive (without a LO).

((Hugs))

Offline cmerblum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2014, 07:54:21 am »
my 11.5 month old was gloriously doing this routine:

7am, bf
8.30 breakfast
between 10.30-11, falling asleep in the stroller for 20 minutes
12, lunch
(2 hours and 35 minutes after wakeup)
c. 1.35-2, nap 1.5 hours (2 hours if super tired)
3.30 wake
4.30, bf
6, dinner
7.30 bath
7.45, bf
8 Bt

until EVERYTHING broke down. teething and separation anxiety have not helped matters AT ALL. but, is this what happens when they are really ready for one nap? does anyone have experience with a schedule similar to ours? how did you begin to extend that morning time when your LO is used to taking that catnap on the go? we are dealing with a LO who for the last couple of weeks is suddenly refusing the crib altogether and we have had to resort to cosleeping, against our better judgement. also, he used to be a long morning napper and then afternoon catnap, until that too started causing major night wakings and problems. i would greatly appreciate any insight and advice. we are going on 3 weeks of NO sleep and it is difficult to maintain sanity. he is doing so incredibly well otherwise, but man, this is tough! also, i have to start gradually making a bunch a transitions in terms of feeding (weaning a bit and merging meals and milk consumption), but i feel i cannot even tackle this until we have a LO who will sleep normally again.

thank you in advance!

Offline BusterB

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2014, 19:48:20 pm »
Hi cmerblum... I don't have an awful lot to offer i'm afraid as we are failing miserably to get to 1 nap ourselves, but you very much have my sympathies!

The only thing I can say from my experience is that nap resistance in this house is almost always UT and pushing him on his A times seems like a logical thing to do if you are working towards having 1 nap over lunchtime.... my 12 month old is averaging 4.5 hours A on 2 nap days and has done up to 6hr A on 1 nap days. He is low sleep needs though, but these longer A times have gotten better naps out of him. 

Over the last 3 or 4 months I have experimented with both short am/long pm (until we got lots of BT resistance) and long am/short pm (until we got lots of OT)... so for us there hasn't really been an easy answer that I can recommend.... you will just have to make an initial decision based on what you think will suit your son the best.

At the moment we have a serious EW issue and are stuck doing a CN early on and a roughly 1hr nap just after lunchtime... which is followed by a decent A time & has made BTs much easier. Now I just need to sort the EWs out (I think it's teeth related as 2 weeks ago on exactly the same routine it was 7am & now it is suddenly 4:30/5am!  ::) )

You should find if you can get him tired enough for his naps that you wont have such an APOP situation! If he is anything like my son now, he'll be pretty keen to sleep wherever. I also have to cap almost all his naps now as otherwise we get more BT resistance - so you might have to experiment to get to the right timings for the short/long naps.

If the long morning nap used to suit him you may well find that pushing the morning A time and letting him sleep as long as he likes for that one and then having a really capped PM nap might work well. I think most other people do that way round to ensure at least 1 decent nap in a day and also their babies like a long A before bed too, whereas my son is better being pushed in the morning/early afternoon as a rule.

Good luck whatever you decide to do and although it is a bit quiet in here at the moment, hopefully someone who has actually managed to navigate the 2:1 will have some advice! Or feel free to let us know how you are getting on.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 19:50:19 pm by BusterB »

Offline Green007

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2014, 02:29:55 am »
We've been at one nap for 3-4 months now with an AM A time of 5h30 mins. Naps were going well-ish at a length of 2hours but now they are back to 1h30 to 1h40. She gets a 4.5 h A time after her nap. Should I be extending this am A time again? She's 15 months now, I'm back to work and this is just so much stress!

Offline Green007

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2014, 13:34:44 pm »
Any ideas? :( EW's happening now. I'll have to try a cat nap today. Should I be keeping her days at 12 hours? Even if she only naps an hour? I've pushed her to 6AM nap then 4A then BT. So far getting longer naps BUT she's waking earlier :( ugh.

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2014, 11:32:02 am »
Hi Green... my little guy is 15 months now too.  We've been at one nap for about 5 months now...

he is up at 7am and eats breakfast about 7:20.  lunch at about 12 and then goes down at 1 for a 2 hour nap.  BT is at 8.  I quit giving him snacks and now only water between meals... he's much less fussy and sleeps a lot better.  I also make sure he gets an outside "blast" of fresh air (weather pending) and that really gives him good sleep too.

I would push morning A time to 6 hours.  I thought my LO's 1pm nap would push further and further later and later, but it hasn't for now.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hugs

Offline Green007

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2014, 13:48:07 pm »
Marcia thanks for that. When I nap her after 6 hours I get a 1h15-25 min nap. So I've been giving her a 15 min CN in the morning (every other day) before going to the dayhome and she then sleeps 2 hours there. Her A time was 5h20 about 2-3 weeks ago (and she'd sleep 2 hours) she started dayhome, got sick and was teething and it all crumbled and now I can't seem to get her back on track. I tried going back to that A time...no luck...she sleeps 1h05-10 mins...