Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27  (Read 64283 times)

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27
« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2016, 19:06:40 pm »
Hi Ladies:)
Just wanted to jump in here and mention that this is a general thread to support the transition itself, ask for quick advice, talk about hating transitions :)

For specific advice, I recommend starting your own thread :)

4isstillnighttime I would try the second one, when nap1 starts at 9 :)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #196 on: May 16, 2016, 15:54:02 pm »
Hi ladies! Thanks for the input around medicine...we are going the homeopathic route unless he wakes up screaming. Im also going to try Tylenol for a bit since he sees really bothered!

Has any of your LOs refused to lie flat when teething? Could there be an ear infection without a fever?

Anyways, we are still struggling with the 2-1; poor DS is OT and uncomfortable. We are having 3 NW including and short nights of about 10-10.5 hours and this is including NW so definitely not good. Thankfully DS is still in good spirits despite lots of eye rubbing.

Today he took a 30 minute am nap after a 3.25 A. NO fighting the nap which is very nice...Will be trying a 3.5 A afterwards in hopes for a longer nap; hopefully that isn't too much A.

I definitely don't want to ADD to the OT already happening. How does one know when LO is just ready for one nap?
Jennifer xx

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2016, 13:49:45 pm »
Anyone else want to talk through this with me?

DD is 10mo.  We were doing short am/long pm for a while but then started getting EW (5.15-45) every morning. I pushed her nap later and her A times started increasing to the point we started getting more and more 1 nap days....the 2 weeks ago it came crashing down as her nights became really disrupted. After going back to 2 naps consistently for a few days, we finally got a STTN for the first time ever last night.  But it has disrupted our day routine again!

So on 1 nap DD was doing 5hrs morning A time then 4-4.5 hrs A. Time to bed.

My 2 nap catch up days to remedy the bad nights we have been doing
Wu : 7.30 (having been awake 3-5am in the night)
Nap 1: 9.30/40 ish for 20 mins
Nap 2: 1-3pm
BT : 7pm

Today I did the same first nap but she wouldn't sleep at 1pm so ended up awake and happy until 2pm. Thinking I might need to get her up around 3.30pm for a 7.30 BT...and then see what kind of night we have...& whether to keep going with this pattern or not.

I wish we could get a routine that lasts for more than 2 weeks without going wrong with either NW or EW!

ETA: DD has just woken so only about 45 mins sleep. Maybe need an even shorter am CN if we get a good night?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 13:54:00 pm by Scottishmummy »
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2016, 18:48:49 pm »
Hopping on but can't digest anything right now, brain fried. Will be back when I've had some sleep!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline grace annes mommy

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2016, 01:52:30 am »
Here I am!!!

SM - This transition is the pits! I remember it with DD1 and it's so annoying!  Do you have a sense of her total sleep needs? I wonder if you could do an alternating 1 nap day followed by a 2 nap day?

We were doing a 30 min a.m. nap and a longer p.m. nap for a couple weeks and that was going well.  But, DD1 is back in school and due to school runs, we've had to switch to a long a.m. nap and afternoon catnap which is giving us the longest days ever.  Here was today:

WU 6:30
Nap 10:45-12:30
Nap 4:15-5 (woke her)
BT put down at 8:30, finally asleep at 9:30

We had 2 days last week where her a.m. nap was a long 2.5 hr + nap, so we did a 1 nap day.  But since her first A is closer to 4 hrs than 5 hrs still, if she does less than 2 hrs, it won't get us thru the day.  I'm thinking I need to keep pushing that 1st A and be more diligent shaving off that last catnap.  Of course, teething is also throwing complete havoc into the mix!!!

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2016, 06:46:08 am »
Hello both!

GAM- I think my DD needs around 2-2.5hrs day sleep and 11hrs night sleep. She will tack on to nights of she sleeps less in the day, but only after OT NWs.
That 45 min CN looks quite long for late afternoon. If a 30 min am nap was working would you try a 30 min pm CN.  I only ever do 15-20 mins after 4pm but I know DD can usually do 2-3 hrs until BT after that.

Yes I do wonder if we need some 1 nap and some 2 nap days.  Yesterday went:

Wu 5.45
Nap: 9.40-10
Nap: 2-2.45
BT: 6.15

We had OT NW around 4-5 then back to sleep until 6.45 this morning.  Not sure whether to try a very short CN this morning to make up for short naps heterozygous or try for 1 nap after a longer night and later Wu.

"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2016, 09:28:26 am »
What did you decide to do in the end SM? I would have gone for 1 nap i think.

GAM - would also suggest just trying 20/30 min pm nap to get an earlier BT. We are doing 30mins now at 8 months with BT 3hrs after so would imagine J could handle longer than that.
Lauren

« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2016, 11:23:00 am »
Yes, thanks ladies!  We will do a p.m. 30 min.  That's what I've been shooting for, but for various reasons (getting sidetracked with DD1, or if my DH's in charge), this nap sometimes ends up longer than intended.  Not worth it!

After her late 9:30pm bt, J was up at 6:15 this a.m.  The little stinker!  I'm going to nudge the morning A to 4hr15 for a few days and then try to push it more.  Really, I think she just needs to be on 1 nap soon.

I think I may have tried for 1 nap too, SM.  How did it go?

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2016, 18:29:09 pm »
I think I've been scared off 1 nap days after our awful OT nights!

This is how today's gone:

Wu:6.45
Nap 1: 9.30 asleep 9.35-45
Nap 2- 12.35-2.20 (but was v tired when she went down & woke screaming & very upset)
BT: 7pm (tried for 6.30 after OT waking from nap, but she was chatting & wouldn't settle so tried again at 7 & she went to sleep straight away)

Depending on our night, I think I might stick with a micro morning nap for a few days, with a long nap around 2-2.5hrs after waking from morning nap & BT 4.5 hrs after waking from 2nd nap.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

« Reply #204 on: August 08, 2016, 01:42:54 am »
I understand about being wary of OT.  It's such an awkward phase when they're really not ready for 1 nap just yet.  It's hard to push thru the OT. 

SM are you doing that mini nap in the crib? or just out and about?  I agree, maybe shave down that 2nd A time after such a short nap.

Well, today was kind of a bust:

WU 6:15 (appx. 9 hr night, sheesh!)
Nap 1 - 10:30 til 11:20ish - definitely wasn't expecting her up so soon....
Nap 2 - 3pm til 4:30 (woke her)
BT - 8:45ish

Such a looong day.  I felt bad waking her in the afternoon but I can't deal with these EWs and the late BTs.  Not sure if that 1st nap was OT or what.  That's the shortest 1st nap she's had in a long while.  Usually I can get 1.5 hrs at least.

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #205 on: August 08, 2016, 19:14:45 pm »
Looks like it's time for me to jump on the train again, I have been on a thread with SM about DS2, I remember the 2-1 with DS1 it was the pits and I think I jumped to one nap too early so keen to persevere with 2 naps as long as possible, although he copes much better in the day with OT and generally STTN but we get EMW and once he's awake we all know about it, with DS1 starting school in a few weeks he's going to need his sleep. So we had a wedding yesterday which we stayed over for, had a wonderful day and delicate today! We left the IL's in charge, they pretty much did what they pleased! So last 48hr

WU 6:15
S 9:30 - 10:10
S 1:45 - 2:15 they got him up  :-\
BT 7!!!!
Cried out 5:10

WU 5:30 they got him up   :-[
S 9:35 - 10:15
S 2:05 - 2:35
BT 6:35

So I'm expecting an early morning! I'm probably going to implement what we'd talked about SM, do 3hrs capped at 30min then 3hrs for uncapped nap. He has only ever done 11-11.5 ONS and 2/2.25 seems to be the most during the day for a good while now.

I agree with GAM the first nap was probably a good time, but maybe pull back the 2nd A, will she let you know if she's not ready to nap as in fight the nap. I would probably put down at the 2hr mark

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #206 on: August 08, 2016, 20:07:35 pm »
Your comment about ILs doing whatever they pleased made me laugh. We worry so much about giving them a routine to follow and they never would anyway - my parents & ILs are exactly the same.

Looks like he is naturally wanting a 9.30 nap though, regardless of Wu time? Or is that just they nap time they set for him?

We had a 1 nap day today. DD slept until 7 (after a feed at 5.45) but then refused a morning CN. We were out for the day and she slept 12-2.30 in the buggy! I did 7pm BT but think she was getting a bit OT by then. Maybe should go for only 4hrs last A time on a 1 nap day.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

« Reply #207 on: August 08, 2016, 23:25:06 pm »
Welcome, J65! The more the merrier for this lovely transition.  ;)  We were doing similar to the routine you mentioned - 3ish hr A for a 30 min nap, then a longer p.m. nap and it worked really well.  The only reason we changed is bc DD1 is back in school and it doesn't work with our school runs.

SM- Can't believe she slept that long in the buggy!  That's great!  Was she fussing or hard to settle in the evening?  On paper, that looks like a pretty perfect 1 nap day which is why I ask.  My DD1 always did better with a longer morning A and a shorter A to bed.  I think J may be the opposite though!

We had a 1 nap day today.  I pushed the morning A to 4.5 hrs and got:
WU 6:45
Nap 11:15 to 1:45
Bed 7pm

Unfortunately, another tooth is coming thru so I'm expecting to at least be up to re-up pain meds tonight.

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #208 on: August 09, 2016, 20:34:52 pm »
GAM- she settled pretty easily but was OT as had been crying before bed (not helped by DS having a friend round for tea and them both being very wild just before DD's BT).  She did an OTwake up at 5am but won't back to sleep until 6.45.  I did a 2 nap day today though to catch her up..
Wu: 6.45
Nap 1: 9.45/50-10
Nap 2: 1-3.15pm
BT: 7.30pm
I though my DD liked a long last A time but on 1 nap days the 2nd A time is staying around 4-4.5hrs but the first is increasing..so a pattern more like your DD1.

How did today go, Johnnyha65?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

« Reply #209 on: August 10, 2016, 01:05:35 am »
So, after our 1 nap day yesterday, J actually had an awesome night - 7:15 to 6:40ish am.  No need to re-up pain meds as I'd predicted, so maybe the worst of her first 2 teeth are over.

Here was today:
WU 6:40ish
Nap #1 11;15 to 12:45
Nap #2 4:20 to 4:50
Bed 8:45

So what seems to be working is a 4.5 A time in the morning.  The issue is how long the nap ends up being and how to fit in a catnap if needed.  Yesterday, she did a 2.5 hr nap on 4.5 A time.  Today, it was only 1.5 hrs so not enough to get to bedtime.  But, with an afternoon catnap, it's a 14 hour day...  And a much later bt than I'd prefer.  The only positive tonight was that I put her down at 8:30 and she was able to at least roll around on her own for 20 minutes and self-settle.  (I've already admitted to MJN that I'm the worst APOP ever,  ::)  But at least tonight, I was able to leave her to it and she did finally crash.)

Kind of opposite of you, SM, she seems able to handle 5+ hrs to bed on a 1 nap day (2.5hr nap).  Maybe I just need to keep nudging that 1st A time so the day is more balanced with a shorter nap.  Or should I keep it, and try to shave the catnap shorter if she needs it (problem is DH here as he is in charge of this nap 3 days per week).

Really, no matter what I do, she probably just needs another month or 2 before she's fully ready for 1 nap.  Oy, this silly transition!  So close....