Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27  (Read 65117 times)

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27
« Reply #285 on: September 13, 2016, 05:39:47 am »
I think you're right about pushing the day later..DD now only does a 10.5hr night on 2 nap days & with this routine is needing a 7pm BT most nights..so 5.30 wu at best. She's with my mum today as I'm back at work but I'll ask her to push everything forward a bit & aim for

Nap 1: 10/10.15 for 15mins
Nap 2: 1.30-3.30
BT: 7.30

I would be ok with 6am wu and don't want a BT later than 7.30 so think that's the latest I'd get anyway!
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #286 on: September 13, 2016, 17:16:03 pm »
Hope that works for you SM.
We are on second day of 1 nap. He went down at 12.30 til 2.30 so I was happy with that. But he has been miserable as sin all afternoon. Scream and crying constantly. I'm not sure if it's to do with the nap or maybe teeth.
Gemma

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #287 on: September 13, 2016, 20:35:17 pm »
We're still here muddling through!! Exactly what I would suggest SM, push the day out a little. We've had some severe OT as I tried two successive one nap days, clearly is not ready! He fell asleep in the pram today at 9;30, never happens so I let him have half an hr and then he did the usual 1hr10 PM nap beginning to think it's either developmental or that's just the most he can nap for now, no matter what A time I push for its 1hr10 nap, he was asleep by 4hr A tonight what time WU is anyone's guess.

On a positive note DS1 started school last week and all my anxieties were for nothing, he's taken to it great!

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #288 on: September 13, 2016, 20:54:49 pm »
We're still trundling along too. Her nights have shortened and getting EW so I've swapped her to short am/long pm now. Today was

Wu 5.20 (ouch)
Nap 9-9.15
Nap 12.30-2
BT 6.30

Was hoping we might have got a longer 2nd nap so I could get back to later BT but 1.5 seems to be the max at the moment she does.
Will do the same tomorrow but then we're at a wedding all day Thursday and staying overnight so that day is going to be a complete disaster sleep wise!!!! Will get back on track at the weekend ready for my return to work after mat leave on Monday and her first day at the childminders  :(

Lauren

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #289 on: September 14, 2016, 12:20:41 pm »
Hi ladies! Sending hugs and encouragement as I've been reading on in earnest. Miss AJ and I have come apart at the seams. I'm trying to help her recover from a long weekend with grandparents, teething, developmental leap as well as some routine shennanigans.

Tuesday
WU: 6.30
Nap 1: 11.00-12.10
^^ went to DS1 (H) swimming lesson and didn't make it back in time. Was wide awake.
Nap 2: 3.30; 2.45-4-15. I opened her door and tried to wake at 4 but got distracted by dinner.
BT: 7.00; asleep 7.40

Wednesday
WU: ?
Nap 1: 10.25; 10.30-12.50.
^ video monitor saw her quite restless and woke and resettled quite a bit just not sure how restorative it was.
Nap 2: 4.35; still awake at 5.00 so I got her up.
BT: 5.55. Mantra cried and was restless until 6.30 asleep.

She is super tired in the mornings and it takes a lot to get her to stay awake and be happy. I'm not sure if it's teeth or what but she's now spending 95% of her awake time sucking her thumb! It's starting to annoy me for some reason but more importantly I can't read her. She seems really tired but she'll suck it in between mouthfuls of cereal at 7.30am so I'm getting really confused.

Any thoughts on how to approach our day and that late catnap where I'm now clutching at straws?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #290 on: September 14, 2016, 18:07:02 pm »
 Hi ladies!

We are plowing through with one nap. He's still adjusting as I'm definitely getting OT wakings but it could also be his dreaded molars  ::) he's been teething since Juky and they are slowly cutting through. When will the madness end?!

I'm trying to be consistent but it's really hard when his teeth make him more tired on some days. I'm aiming for this:

WU 8 am
S 1:15-3/3:15 pm
BT 8 pm

We are so all over the place that his A times range from 4.5-5.5 in the am then 5-5.5 to bed on one nap days. I won't even get started on2 nap days lol

Labrodyk: maybe if she's super tired in the am, maybe giving her a 30 min CN say around 10 then a long pm around 3 hours later? That way there's less chance of fighting the pm nap and less chance of OT at bedtime? Transitions can be so hard!
Jennifer xx

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #291 on: September 14, 2016, 20:29:56 pm »
LabrodyK we are having the exact same issue, even an hr after morning wake up he's rubbing his eyes and whining at my feet! It's hard work keeping him going it really is! Our LO's are very similar in age, M is 7th Oct so I wonder if it is developmental, either that or teeth. He has barely eaten since his bedtime milk last night, a few mouthfuls at most. We had screaming with tears when he woke from nap this pm and he cried most of the time at school pick up which is so Unlike him he hardly cries, more of a shouter/whiner when he's got one on him, so something is a miss.
I'm shooting for 30mins anywhere from 9:45/10 and a nap 3hrs later so I know I can at least get a 2:30/2:40 wake up and bedtime is anywhere from 6:30/7, he did just over 11hrs last night.

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #292 on: September 14, 2016, 21:29:00 pm »
@JohnnyHA65. M and AJ are birthday buddies then, we're 7th October too!

Thanks for replying, something is going on! She woke before 6 so maybe 11hrs but now I can't keep her up until 10.30!?
My issue with short morning nap is that even in the car she's not falling asleep then but also I can't reliably get a proper second nap after a short am nap.

I'm struggling even more than I was and AJ has the worst FOMO ever so she's getting more full on too.

Today ended up as:

WU: ? before 6am
Nap 1: 9.30-9.57 (in the car on way home from school drop off)
Nap 2: 12.53; 1.03-2.37. Woke about 1.20 but dozed until properly awake
BT: 6.18. likely too early as still awake, rolling around. Not asleep until 7.13

The long A to bed is new tonight, usually she has a short CN in the evening and is back in bed 3hrs later...She seems to be kicking out of her covers and moving around the cot a lot now and it's disturbing her, she's never fallen asleep on her tummy before.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 09:20:47 am by labrodyk »

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #293 on: September 15, 2016, 12:20:33 pm »
Hi everyone, looking for some reassurance please! We have been on one nap since Monday. He has to have a set nap at 12.30 due to my work and his nursery. Monday he did a 1hr30 nap at nursery, Tues 2 hours at home, Wednesday 1hr30 at home and today he seems to be awake after 45 mins. Is this normal for the transition? Are we doing OK?

Eta I think he's gone back to sleep!
Eta again to add he did 1hr30 again in the end.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 13:07:41 pm by choc »
Gemma

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #294 on: September 16, 2016, 08:15:19 am »
@Choc - does he seem happy in himself? I'd imagine my little girl, AJ, would need a 2 nap day in there around now. H, my 4yo, only ever did 1.5hrs even when we dropped to 1 nap so it could just be normal and you're doing swimmingly! I guess watch for OT?

Today turned into the below because I had to go and have my phone repaired in another city :(

WU: 6.15
OOB: 7.00
Nap 1: 9.45-10.17 in the car
Nap 2: 1.22 - 2.03 in the car
BT: 5.38; not asleep until 6.11.

I know they were rubbish sleeps but in between all her A's she was miserable. I'll try and be home this weekend but so confused on how I make this transition work...it's so tricky!

I'm a bit worried about her thumb sucking too - it's almost constant. The second she's in the car she sucks, same with the pram... I gave her a new flap book in the car on the way to school drop off and that kept her a little more occupied than usual but that was it. All the way around the shops from 10.30am, shortly after waking, she sucked. Is it too late to introduce a dummy?
With H, we popped a plastic finger guard on his finger for a month and he stopped and hasn't sucked since but he ONLY sucked at bedtime.

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #295 on: September 16, 2016, 10:06:28 am »
Thanks labrodyk, he is fine and dandy in the mornings but has been mega grumpy and hard work in the afternoons. I am trying to rule out other things like hunger by giving a bigger snack etc. Maybe a 2 nap day might be an idea. What would that look like? A 30 min morning nap and then later afternoon nap?

Sorry you are worried about the thumb sucking. I have no experience. When she does it is she trying to fall asleep?
Gemma

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #296 on: September 16, 2016, 10:53:11 am »
I'm struggling with 2 nap days at the moment but you could attempt a short morning A then another nap 3ish hours later? that's what i've been trying to do and how I approached it with my older son but who knows, they're all so different!

Thumb sucking - it's almost like her thumb is there so why not because she'll wake in the morning at 6 and suck her thumb for an hour before I get her at 7am but she'd happily lie there longer. Same during the day and in the car/pram as I mentioned.

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #297 on: September 16, 2016, 12:05:22 pm »
That's the sort of 2 naps we were on before going to 1 nap. I couldn't get a longer second nap to fit in with school run.

No idea about the thumb, sorry. I was wondering if it was OT but doesn't sound like it. Will she choose the thumb over holding some toys/random objects in the car or pram?
Gemma

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #298 on: September 16, 2016, 17:08:11 pm »
We have had a few 1 nap days now..partly because I'm back at work & DD isn't sleeping well in childcare. She is absolutely past it by early evening though and also grumpy in the afternoons like your LO, choc, but on flip side is doing 12-13hr nights.. So no EW. But I don't think it's sustainably as she is so sad I subject OT is going to catch up with us soon.

Looks like you're well into 2-1 now labrodyk with some the occasional 1 nap day too. Are you aiming for short am/long pm now?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline ecwinters

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #299 on: September 16, 2016, 19:12:31 pm »
Hello everyone,
Just joining in as we're going through the same process with my nearly 18 month old DS.  Transitioning on the late side, but he only transitioned to 2 naps at 9 months.  It's nice (kind of) to know that everyone's in the same situation - I am beginning to feel like I've really messed up his sleep :(

Just wondering - DS used to love his routine and now seems confused by all the changes.  Lunch is a tricky one as it depends on the timings of the naps - today it was after his nap, but I think he really could have eaten it (at 10am!!) before his nap!  Ended up having a big snack and then didn't really want much in the way of lunch later on.  Is it really possible to switch between 1 and 2 nap days without confusing them?  If I throw in a morning catnap then nap 2 is going to be later than on a single nap day, which is annoying for me when trying to plan things but seems to confuse DS a bit.  I always tell him what we're going to do that day, and he understands a lot, but enough to figure that one out I don't think!

What does this look like for a 1 nap day?  Move the timings forward an hour - we've got a crazy early schedule at the moment which I'm putting up with until he's a bit more settled.

WU-5:10
Nap-10:35-12/12:05 (dozed a bit at the end)
In bed-5:30pm and asleep at 5:40pm

He very rarely does longer than 1.5 hours for a nap.  It would be good if he could manage to do a 2 hour nap though as it wouldn't be such a struggle to bedtime.   He was tired by 4:00/4:30pm but it was too late for a catnap without making the whole day really long (which he doesn't like).

labrodyk - I have a thumb sucker!!  He's been sucking it since he was in the womb (on the 2nd scan!).  It's not always to do with being tired - it's definitely a comfort thing though.  He'll suck on and off all day :)  Sometimes I do remove his thumb (for example if he's just put his hand in the cat's food bowl and then into his mouth....!) but it results in mega screaming.  I did read that it's OK until they grow adult teeth.  The only time he won't suck is if he's holding something in each hand which he doesn't want me to have (!), or is holding food - not sure this helps you very much though, sorry.  Is there anything your DD has (i.e a toy) which she won't put down unless she absolutely has to?  You could try giving her that in the car/buggy for example.