Author Topic: FED UP with 5am/5.30am WU (6mo)!  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Mackjack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 21:44:47 pm »
Oh dear.  It's 10.30pm and hes just woken again.  V upset. DH is trying to settle him. ...

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 00:10:18 am »
Oh god, oh god, oh god, it's 1.10 am and we are STILL trying to settle him! !!! We've had everything from crying and screaming to smiling and blowing bubbles. He just will not go to sleep. Currently screaming....

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 06:00:34 am »
So he finally settled at 1.30am.  That's a 3 hr NW. And he still wipe at 5.45 for the day.  We tried everything to settle him during those 3hrs - meds,  putting him in a warmer sleeping bag,  changing his nappy.... what on earth could that have been about?!

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 06:06:06 am »
*woke* not wipe

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
Re: FED UP with 5am/5.30am WU (6mo)!
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 12:21:45 pm »
Sorry you had such an awful night!!  Are there any teeth on the move perhaps?  Sometimes those crazy nights just happen.  For today I would just let him catch up a bit if he wants to take some longer naps, or earlier naps then hopefully you will get a good night and can start fresh.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 12:43:46 pm »
It couldbe teething although im not really seeing any other signs. It just dawned on me this morning that his reflux meds might need increasing.  He's been pooing for England - last time he did that,  coupled with weight loss and some bouts of inconsolable crying, an increase in his Ranitidine put a stop to the symptoms instantly. So I'm seeing the Dr today. Don't know why it didn't occur to me before- think I'm just always overly optimistic that he might have grown out of it.  Let's see...

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 12:55:38 pm »
You are probably right, good thing to get to the doc ASAP.  I'm sorry I don't have much experience with reflux unfortunately.  Let me know how things go and I can get some reflux eyes on this as well if you'd like :)

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 15:02:17 pm »
Fab thank you so much. Dr has increased meds so fingers crossed and will keep you posted.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 07:40:42 am »
AARGH! These NWs are getting ridiculous!!!

I don't think it's the reflux. We've upped the meds and he seems fine but the NWs are still happening. They're not every night and it never seems to happen on consecutive nights but when they do happen, they are loooong.

Last night he woke at 11.10 for 3 hours- I went in and put a hand on him and he settled within a couple of mins. I stayed a few mins to make sure he was completely settled then left the room. A few minutes later he woke crying again so I went in. I was convinced he was in pain as he just kept crying even when I held him and he kept tilting his head to the side as though tooth/ear pain (he's been tilting his head like this for a few weeks tbh). SO I gave meds and kept alternating between holding him and settling in his cot. After about 2 hrs of this crying he was laying in his cot looking v drowsy when PING! as though a switch had been flicked, he opened his eyes wide and started smiling and trying to play with me!! So I decided to leave the room. Started crying again so came back in - he tried to play a bit more then was crying again. Changed his nappy in case it was making him cold as it was full - no difference. At about the 2hrs 45 point, DH came and took over and finally got him to sleep  by sitting on the floor and shushing him. So this was about 2am. He slept til 6.45.

WHAT ON EARTH could it be?!?

My EASY for the past couple of days has been as below. We occasionally have a day of 3 naps if necessary but this is not very often. His A time is about 3 hrs except if he's had a bad nap, or is very sleepy, when it can  be more like 2hr 45:

MONDAY
For some reason I just can't remember the morning at all - think he might have napped in the car when we were out and about. He fell asleep in the car later for a short time so had a late afternoon nap when we got home at 3.30 of 1.5hrs
BT 19.30

TUES
WU 6.30
E 6.30 8 0zs
E 8.30 Solids
S 9.30 - 11.00
E 11.00 8ozs
E 12.00 solids
S 14.00 - 15.15
E 15.15 8ozs
E 16.30 solids
E 18.00 3ozs
S 18.30 (would've got him down earlier, about 18.15 but he struggled to settle a little bit - only took a few minutes to settle him when I went back into his room)
NW 11.10 - 2am
WU 6.45

Any ideas would be very gratefully received as I am stumped!!!

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 13:04:08 pm »
Oh hun!  Those long NW are a killer!!  Your routine looks pretty good, decent naps so I'm not sure that it's a OT or UT issue.  Do you think there are any teeth on the move?  Have you tried giving meds at the NW to see if that helps in case there are teeth moving around?

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 13:18:15 pm »
Yes, teeth is the only thing I can think of. I gave him meds last night (Calpol) about 15mins after he first woke. He's been tilting his head again today, a bit grumpy and his ear is a little bit red. If it was an ear infection, do you think I would know about it by now (as these night wakings have happened over the past 8 days). Is a red ear a sign of teething? He's just gone down for a nap and was grumpy so I gave him Calpol again. His nap this morning was only 1hr10 - is that a possible indication of teeth?

Yes, they are a killer!!

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 13:44:43 pm »
I don't have much experience with ear infections, but this is what baby center has to say...do you think he has any of these symptoms?

http://www.babycenter.com/0_ear-infections-in-babies_83.bc

He could be a bit OT from the long NW, or the grumpyness could be teeth too, my DS was always super grumpy with teeth!

His nap this morning was only 1hr10 - is that a possible indication of teeth?
This is usually a sign of UT, have you thought about/tried pushing A times slightly over 3hrs?

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 14:09:34 pm »
Yes, could be an ear infection....have an appointment with Dr in the morning.

I wondered about UT - but it's hard to tell whether they're tired or not when they're just so grumpy!! He's just gone down for another nap after 3hrs A time so I will see how he does but yes, I will definitely think about pushing his A time. Just wish a tooth would pop out one way or the other so I know!!

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 18:22:32 pm »
Turns out he has tonsilitis!!! Just a mild case apparently. His ears are inflamed very slightly - all linked apparently. He's pretty much fine in himself but  have antibiotics on standby in case he gets a temp/goes off his food/basically shows signs that it's getting bad. Dr advised only to give antibiotics if really necessary as LOs can usually fight off mild cases perfectly well by themselves. So let's just see how it goes....

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 19:20:08 pm »
Glad you found the answer!  It definitely sounded pain related.  I'd probably just give the meds and get it all over with LOL!  Easy for the doc to say not to give them, he/she doesn't have to deal with a non-sleeping baby!