Author Topic: Help figuring out an EASY/nap routine for a 6 month old  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Serena_12

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help figuring out an EASY/nap routine for a 6 month old
« on: July 26, 2014, 22:56:05 pm »

My DS is a few days short of 6 months. Right now his activity time is usually about 2 hours-2 hours 20 minutes, which seems to be just right for him. (Only time it's shorter is when he wakes up really early). However, the time he wakes up each day varies greatly (anywhere from 5:15-7:30) Also, the amount of time he naps for is anywhere from 25 minutes up to 2 hours for a really great nap. So, needless to say, it is impossible to have a set routine right now. I'll post the last few days of wake-up times and nap times. It has only been in the last week that he has started sleeping for more than 30-60 minutes.

Saturday
W/U 5:25
Nap7:00-8:45 (1hr 45 mins)
Nap 11:05- 11:40 (40 mins)
Nap 1:50- 3:05 (1 hour 15 mins)
Friday
W/U 6:15
Nap 8:15- 9:00 (45 mins)
Nap 10:55- 12:55 (2 hrs)
Nap 3:05-3:50 (45 min)
Thursday
W/U 7:00
Nap 9:05-11:05 (2 hrs)
Nap 1:25-1:50 (25 mins)
Nap 3:55-4:20 (25 mins)
Wednesday
W/U 7:10
Nap 9:05- 10:10 (1 hr 5 mins)
Nap 12:40-2:05 (1 hr 25 mins)
Nap 4:20-5:00 (40 mins)
Tuesday
W/U 5:30
Nap 7:30-9:10 (1 hr 40 mins)
Nap 11:05- 12:35 (1 hr 30 mins)
Nap 2:55-4:05 (1 hr 10 mins)
Monday
W/u 6:30
Nap8:30- 9:50 (1 hr 20 mins)
Nap 11:50-12:30 (40 mins)
Nap 3:15- 4:00 (45 mins)

This has been going on for maybe a month and a half now. Before that his activity time was about 1.5 hours, which also worked well. But we have never gotten on any sort of set routine. He did just start solids, but only 3 days ago, so that hasn't impacted his schedule. He has also been treated for acid reflux since he was less than a month old. Any advice for us?

Offline mycatmonet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Re: Help figuring out an EASY/nap routine for a 6 month old
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 10:26:24 am »
Hi hun, when is bedtime and what are your nights like? My los never wake at a consistent time. I think that is normal. EASY is a routine, rather than a schedule. I only ever had a consistent nap routine with my dd when I went to set naps, and even then her nap lengths and wu time varied and her am A varied accordingly.
My ds does 2 naps and a long A before bed. Kind of on a 2-3-4hr A pattern.  But the first A is 2h20min-3h depending on the day. Our naps are 1h15/20min usually. Our nights are TERRIBLE though but that is for another post!

Offline Serena_12

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 14:29:33 pm »
We aim for bedtime at 7:00, but of course it depends when he gets up from his last nap. So he's asleep anywhere from 6:45-8:15. Nights he's up 3 times, and sleeps for around 3 hours between wake ups (this is quite recent- he used to get up 5-8 times a night). For 2 of those wake ups he feeds and goes easily back to sleep, but for one of them (it's different which one every night) he's awake for 1-2 hours. Last night it was from 11:00-12:50, the night before it was around 3:00.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 13:02:00 pm »
2h is a pretty short A time for a 6 month old - have a peek here: Average A times- BOOKMARK ME! . And also this link on the 3-2 nap transition: All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months Pushing your A times a bit and working towards two naps may well help :)

Offline Serena_12

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 21:48:56 pm »
Thank you, I have read about transition to 2 naps, but I'm not sure if he's ready? Some days he wakes up as early as 5:20, but some days he sleeps till 7:30. Also, his naps are sometimes only 30 mins, but then sometimes they are 2 hours. How do I know for sure if he's ready to transition? 2 hours of A time seems to work well right now- usually he will go to sleep easily at exactly the 2 hour mark. How do I decide it's time to increase A time, if he (usually) doesn't fight naps?

Offline mycatmonet

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 01:04:04 am »
Sometimes you need to experiment a little and push out the A times slowly and see how it affects nap length and nws.
Are there any other factors in play like illness, teething etc? My ds has a bit of a cold, teeth just popped through this week and he ia rolling a lot inthe cot, all creating sleep havoc...
Hugs, I was so frustrated with the inconsistency in wu times and naps with dd. I accept it alot more with ds, but I still can't figure it out! My babies are enigmas lol

Offline Serena_12

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 16:59:46 pm »
Lol, I hope that I can figure this out! I can't plan anything around his naps right now! I think he's teething, but has been for 4 months now. No illness or anything else I can think of. Last night he had a pretty decent night, but his first nap today was only 36 mins. :(

Offline mycatmonet

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 17:42:15 pm »
How long was the first A today? Could that nap be ut? My ds was chronically napping 35/40 min naps and one day out of frustration (when weaning the swaddle ct) I started him tummy sleeping and like magic his naps doubled. Removed the startle he did when on his back as his arms were snug rather than free to go up. Watched him on the monitor.
Ugh I know about planning around naps, it is a pain. Now trying to squeeze solids in too, we will never be able to leave the house!!!

Offline Serena_12

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 18:48:41 pm »
I agree! I feel like I can't go out and visit or run my errands! Today his first A time was actually just under 2 hours, but he was so tired that I put him down and he fell instantly to sleep. Most A times though are 2 hours- maybe 2 hours 20 minutes. The timing seems to work well, since right around then he starts to get very fussy, and when I put him down (with a soother and lovey) he falls right to sleep! (It has taken about 4 months for him to fall asleep so easily, so that's one thing I'm super happy about!!) But the length of his naps is still all over the place.... Oh, and he is definitely a tummy sleeper!

Offline mycatmonet

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 21:57:45 pm »
You might find a push in a time length gradually does help with short naps. A change of scenery might help him be pushed a little further and hopefully he goes to sleep easily still, since he now knows how. Does he go to sleep independently?

Offline Serena_12

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 02:01:05 am »
Sometimes we cosleep and sometimes he sleeps in his cot. He seems to be able to fall asleep in either place, it's just easier to resettle him when he wakes if he's in my bed!

Offline mycatmonet

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 04:52:41 am »
Oh yes. We called it quits on cosleeping a month ago and it feels like a lot longer. I haven't had more than 2 half decent night sleep since.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 07:00:31 am »
At this age tired signs and falling asleep easily does not necessarily mean LO is tired enough to take a good nap.  It can be habit, so I do think you probably need to push those A times more to get some consistency.  LO is probably sometimes doing long naps with a short A time because he needs a catch up after short naps - it's very typical of an UT/OT loop.  Fwiw we had weeks of 37 minute naps at this age which only went away when (with the help of the ladies here) I realised they were UT and I upped the A time.

Offline Serena_12

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 05:25:13 am »
Thanks for the tips. I guess I need to start pushing his A times and see how he does. When (if) he transitions to 2 naps, what are ideal times for them? And how many hours of naps should he be taking total? Right now it varies from 1.5 hours a day, to maybe 4. If we drop a nap, I'd be afraid he would get even less overall daytime sleep.

Offline Honeymonster

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 03:59:51 am »
I'm another who can second pushing the A time. Ive never had good or consistent naps.. Also like you took ages to get LO going to sleep so well on her own and was so worried about OT I was scared to push it but thanks to advice on here I realised she was so used to going down after 2 hrs or so that her body got tired at that time (my LO is 6months on 5th of aug so similar age although she was 2wks late and is a big baby) but I slowly pushed morning A time.. First couple of days she's was so tired seeming and was dying to get to her bed and a bit more greety than normal but after a couple of days she easily managed and we kept pushing it until finally she started taking a 1.5-2hr nap consistently in the morning. We never get a consistent second nap as are usually out in the buggy but she now (was before this bloomin virus she had) doing 1.5-2hrs for a solid two weeks!! I found that not only did she need an A time of 2.45hrs but also needed more stimulation in the morning to nap well (difficult when you've just gotten up and are shattered from night feeds) but worth it so get a long first nap! Good luck ps when first starting it my extra ten mins A time was always just walking about the house looking at things quietly as she seemed to manage this bestt

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 06:07:48 am »
I started him tummy sleeping and like magic his naps doubled

I did the same! My LO started turning over on his own, so I just plopped him in bed on his tummy from the start and voila! I get consistent 1.5h naps! What a relief from chronic 45min naps. (Except that he now is crawling and travels around the crib for a while before sleeping :) can't win)

Offline Serena_12

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 13:47:20 pm »
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll start trying to lengthen his A times this week and see how it goes!

So, at what point should the CN disappear? When he has 3 hour A times?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 18:18:29 pm by Serena_12 »

Offline mycatmonet

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 20:50:37 pm »
That is the theory!  3hr a, 2 good naps, 12h nights to avoid ot.