Author Topic: 6.5 months many night wakings  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Rowanlucy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 28, 2014, 07:59:11 am »
Hi - my son is 6.5 months old and has begun waking really frequently most nights. He used to wake only once a night then the sleep regression kicked in and rarely since then have I had less than 3/4 wakes.
My son is now combination fed and also enjoys 3 solid feeds a day.

His routine looks something like this (but the wake time can be anywhere from 05:30 to 7:30):
06:45 wake up
07:30 milk BF (both offered my always taken)
08:45 nap (PU/PU generally successful)
If I get the magic moment at 45 mins he will sleep for 1.5 hrs of not 45 mins
When he wakes I give solid breakfast and offer milk sometime before next nap
After 2 hrs A he takes another nap 45 mins
Then lunch and milk offered
He's often then awake til 4/5 ish and then takes another 45 min nap.
Dinner generally around 6
Bath at 7 then into darkened quiet room for BF (both) and usually laid awake to bed where he gently takes himself to sleep.

I try to give at least one FF per day.
At night he wakes usually before midnight for a feed(I tried DF he woke again anyway) and then every 1.5-2 hours thereafter. If offered he will usually feed a little then go back to sleep. If gently cooing he will often go back to sleep himself without me going in. Other times he's wide awake and takes an hour to go back to sleep (rocked due to sanity and desperation!). Last night two of the wakes I just laid a hand on his tummy and gave pacifier and he fell asleep fairly quickly.
I am very tired, I know it's easy to say don't feed him but I don't know which ones are hunger and which are comfort! Any help?! X

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 6.5 months many night wakings
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 13:37:28 pm »
Hi and welcome to BW!

The first thing that strikes me hun is 2 hrs is a very short A time for a 6.5 mo. This link is really useful Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

I think those 45mins naps are also signalling UT and due for an increase in A time. Once the A time has increased to a more age-suitable level, I think you'll find he won't need that 3rd nap as many lo's drop it around 5-6mo. Then eventually I think those UT NW will cease.

You will need to increase the A times slowly, so around 15mins every 3days or so in order to not risk OT setting in.

I'll be back in a mo to post a link to some sample routines that may help you too. My ipad has a habit of losing my post if I navigate away from the page  ::)

chronological EASY samples, 4-6 months

chronological EASY samples, 7-9 months
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 13:39:39 pm by Kellyjs »

Offline Rowanlucy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:44:41 am »
Thank you ☺️ I shall give it a go... Every hour again last night I can't keep this up,
I will report back x

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 09:30:38 am »
Every hour though could be discomfort related. Have you tried medicating incase of teething etc?

Big ((hugs)) as well, it is tough when they do that! Hopefully you can get a nap in later if he's tired enough after that yucky night x

Offline mycatmonet

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 10:49:29 am »
Hugs rowanlucy, my lo is doing the same thing at night. I share your pain! Hope things improve for you soon.

Offline Rowanlucy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 06:52:15 am »
So it's fair to say that was the worst night! Every half hour to an hour until 3ish!
I followed the easy schedule ideas for 2.5/3 hr awake time and fed solids a little earlier than usual.
He decided suddenly that rolling about in the cot is the way and that he wants to sleep sideways and with his feet out the bars! Needless to say this caused a few issues with waking up!
He only ate twice (12 and 3) and finally settled around 3:30 after a little calpol (thought he may be in pain from teeth). Hugs back to you mycatmonet hope tonight brings better rest!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 08:00:34 am »
Oh yes, I remember the rolling around days.. That did create havoc with sleep too! I'd hold those A times for a little while hun, it'd be hard to tell what will suit him until the teething/developmental stuff passes.

Offline mycatmonet

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 10:59:58 am »
Oh the rolling! It is the same here, for sleep times it is just awful, but fx it doesn't last too long x

Offline Rowanlucy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 10:03:20 am »
Ok so this is still going on....we now have three teeth so I am guessin that's played a role...
We are now on three hours between waking and napping as recommended. In the afternoon he is awake by 4 (at the latest) so that he can start bath/bed at 7. He goes down at 7 no problems and generally sleeps til at least 10 then all bets are off. He's usually awake every 1.5-2 hours and this can be anything from 10 minute quick feed to a 2 hour slog. I try to put him down a little awake but tbh he often falls asleep at the boob. He seems to draw his legs up a lot and moan and when he struggles to go to sleep it's often preceded by a good fart so wind also a problem. I am giving him calpol at night and amber anklet on it's way today (will try anything) any advice?!!! Shattered :( 💤

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 11:17:52 am »
Is the fourth tooth on its way?

How's the naps during the day now? Did they lengthen with the increased A times? Might be an idea to post your new easy too if that's ok?

As the NW's are later on in the night it looks like he's handles the increase in A times well and isn't OT. There may be a little UT still happening but I'm betting it's still teeth tbh  ::)

Offline Rowanlucy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 07:06:11 am »
Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes the daytime naps have lengthened to one and a half hours (provided he's in bed, on me or in the car the whole time. Tooth four broke the surface two nights go and although the wake ups are still every two hours they don't seem to involve screaming, we are now back to cooing and laying on the front pushing up and looking around him. These I find tough as I fear leaving him alone will inevitably lead to tears later on when he's more awake and I will be up for ages trying to settle him.

Here's a rough guide to our EASY
awake 7:00 I try to offer milk, usually very little taken
Food 8:00 often with a little milk after
Sleep 9:30/10:00 for 1.5hr
Wake 11/11:30 milk
Food 12:30
Sleep 13:30/14:00 for 1.5 hr
Wake 15/15:30 milk
Food 17:00
Bed routine 18:30/19:00 depending on tiredness
From here there's generally a wake around 10 for feeding then two hourly until 4 afterwards. He often feeds at each and falls asleep there but usually moves a (or loads!!) when I lay him down.

I guess I am looking for help with settling him down when he wakes at night which don't involve feeding. I did PUPU for naps and they're now pretty easy - I just sit by him, do you think that's something I need to stop? Thanks in advance :) x

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 12:22:51 pm »
Hi, well done on those naps! Fab news.

I still think there's a tiny bit of UT NW's happening there. I know exactly what you mean.. The cooing and playing around at night is tough. I would leave him be until he asks for you though. It can create an issue if you go rushing in and just feed to get him off to sleep. I know it's the easier option at the time, but he's a great little independent sleeper and ongoing feeding to sleep at night will kind of break that a little. I've seen posts on her about 2yr olds needing to be fed back to sleep! Not saying you're going down that route, but hopefully you get what I'm saying  ;)

Many lo's still have 1-2 bf's at night so I think I'd just pick two WU's, feed then and for every other wu try and settle using ssh/pat or pu/pd. whichever one you find has the best results.

In the meantime I think I'd push those A's ever so slightly again. He's nearly 7mo now isn't he? Perhaps look at a 3hr minimum A time. I think you've got space in your day to increase those times and still keep to a 12.5-13hr day easily. What do you think?

Offline Rowanlucy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 20:41:05 pm »
Yep he's now seven months. I can definitely give it a go, the morning one is the hardest to push longer but often does get to three hours.  I will also try responding more slowly at night. It's hard trying to get myself to do something which may mean I end up awake longer at the moment but I know it's for the best :)

Thanks, I will report back x

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 05:50:16 am »
Good luck!  :)