Author Topic: 4 EAS= more solids?  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
4 EAS= more solids?
« on: July 31, 2014, 13:39:55 pm »
(not sure if this is the correct folder to post this in)
My 5.5mo LO seems to be transitioning himself to a 4h EAS lately.
He has 2.5h A time and then because his naps are going longer, he feeds at the 4h mark.

(yesterday's schedule)
WU/E 7
-Solids 8:45
S 9:30-11
E 11
S 1:30-3:0
E 3
S 5:30-6:15
E 6:15
-Solids 7
E 7:30
BT 7:45
DF 11 (8oz pumped breast milk)
(no NF)

What I want to know if I should feed him more solids? When I do give him solids, he eats everything and complains when I stop.
I upped the solids to twice a day because I'm not sure if breastmilk alone is filling him up? He just mastered crawling and is pretty active.
Basically, I could BF him and then 10min later give him solids and he'd gobble them up too.
Should I feed him more? Is going 4hours too much for a little guy?

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: 4 EAS= more solids?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 12:27:30 pm »
Hi there, as your question seems to be more related to food then routine I am just going to pop you over to our Feeding Solids Board. :)

Maryn

[/url]

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 4 EAS= more solids?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 17:36:57 pm »
Hi there - your routine looks great! :)

You probably already know that milk remains the primary food until 12 months but so long as he doesn't drop his milk intake too much or too rapidly it's fine to offer more solids. Babies are pretty good at self regulating so if he appears to want more then I would offer more.  Often LOs might not take a third meal until closer to 8 months but if he's keen then I would follow his lead (with the proviso he still takes enough milk), you could either increase what you offer at the 2 meals you already have or introduce a solids lunch at 12 noon.  You might consider making something out of breast milk, a simple milk pudding for example or custard (if you pump that is). At 6 months (or now if you feel he is ready) you might want to introduce some finger food, this could satisfy his desire for exploring and tasting solids without so much going in leaving him hungrier for milk.

Some babies take to solids very quickly, mine ate solids like I'd been starving him for the first 5.5 months of his life, I was quite surprised. Others aren't so keen on solids until much later, either way it's fine.

WRT milk being at 4hrly interval that's ok too. The 4hr EASY (which Tracy described as starting in the fourth month) has 4hrly milk feeds. Some babies might not transition happily to 4hrly E but most will by the time they are 6 months. Don't forget he isn't going a full 4hrs without food as he is getting a little solids now too (many extend the E at 6 months+ once solids are introduced and go longer than 4hrs, depends on the routine and how long naps are etc too).

Looks to me like everything is fine and your DS is enjoying exploring the new textures and flavours you are offering him.
hope this helps.