Author Topic: BF and teething, what to do?  (Read 816 times)

Offline Pinkhippo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Mum of Zoe and Arlo
BF and teething, what to do?
« on: July 31, 2014, 18:11:54 pm »
Hi there,
My 5 month LO has recently started teething... and seems to really enjoy sinking her single tooth in to my finger.  I have been warned that one day, I will experience her nibbling on my nipple.  How should I respond to this?  Are there any interventions I should try to make her aware that this is a faux pas?

Thanks
Go boldly in the direction of your dreams
Live the life you've imagined~Thoreau

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: BF and teething, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 05:00:39 am »
I totally shouted and pulled away the first time DD1 bit me but quickly discovered that the way to deal with it was to draw her in closer to my breast so she would have to unlatch and let go...repeat that a few times and she got the hint.
Heidi

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 09:20:17 am »
She cannot feed and bite in the same time as it is impossible so yes proper latch helps. You can continue to BF and she may not bite you even once for ages, but when it happens it bloody hurts so be prepared as screaming will scare her. You can pinch her cheek as soon as she does it, this will make her open her mouth and you can escape. Do it as soon as so she understands. My LO has now 6 teeth and only yesterday she bit me and then jerked her head back, there was blood and I cried for 5 min. Then I had to continue breastfeeding as she is EBF and trust me I was sweating and praying she won't do it again. It is still healing so there is pain every time i feed her.
You can also buy nipple shields, it will feel weird for you and her for first time but it does work if you are worried. Novelty of biting will wear off. HtH