Author Topic: Early wake for 8-month old  (Read 8768 times)

Offline dache

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
Re: Early wake for 8-month old
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2014, 06:51:23 am »
Actually Im thinking on starting form Monday. (new week-new hope  :D)
My mum was getting up to feed her last night and she fed her 3 times! df, plus 2 night feed and thinks that that`s ok, she had 7 bottle in total yesterday.  :-X
I dont know whats going on with our lo. She is no waking as much at night, as I said, just for the feeds, but she started wu for the day at 4.30 and is ot by the time I pick her up.
So Im collecting courage and strength to start on Monday and keep it up.
I was advised to do apop, so I thinking when she wakes up Ill try resettle her with the paci which I know it wont work but Ill go on with a combo of pu/pd and pat/shh and racking/waling.
Also I need to see what to do about her EASY during the day since she might be ot from the nights but I have to make this work.
What do you think?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2014, 08:24:31 am »
Just wanted to mention that you can't really do PUPD and use a paci unfortunately. PU/PD and Paci Use. Why they don't mix.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline dache

« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2014, 12:36:29 pm »
I know that they dont mix. I have read both books, and all FAQ on almost all topics.  ;D
But I dont know how to be with out it. She still cries a few hours during the day and Ill go coo-coo with out it.
Im getting cold feet now. I dont think I can manage to hear her crying.
I might just try to keep her up as much as possible in the morning so that she doesnt think she can make it up being awake so early with a nap. Ill take her for walks in the sling in the morning and put her down at 10.15/10.30 and then cap the second nap
Aghhh, I hate this. I dont want to hear her cry but at the same time we are all so tiered, including her.
And if she doesnt get enough sleep she is very fussy and cries more and she wants to be held in arms all the time. I feel like Im spoiling her but I also have the poor baby syndrome because she has cried sooo much since she was born I hear her cry and I think (oh God here we go again, how do I get her to calm down now :D  ) oh, my poor baby, she is upset again, something`s wrong with her again.

Offline Newbiemommy001

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Intimidated new mommy
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2014, 14:50:46 pm »
Hi. My LO used to take a paci when we were starting to sleep train. I was advised not to do pu/pd until LO can replug the paci himself so I stuck with shush-pat. Dache, is there a way to teach LO to replug her paci? I wonder if your LO is going through a growth spurt of some sort? Maybe that's why she's hungry? Clearly I'm just throwing out ideas here as I don't really know what to do. But I agree...new week...new start! Good luck!

Well, so far we had a good morning. I did everything the same...capped first nap to 1.5 hours, second nap to 45 mins, asleep by 7pm and wake to sleep at 4:30am. LO woke up around 6-6:15am. So we'll see if this will be consistent.

Ali? How long do I wake to sleep for? Also, when pushing the first nap...do I count from the time LO wakes up (i.e. 5:30am if he wakes up early) or from his ideal wake up of 6-6:30am? This part confuses me. Thanks!!!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2014, 21:53:24 pm »
I'd wake to sleep for 5 days then try stopping it for 2 days. If you're still getting EW I'd do another 3-5 days of w2s.

Normally I'd count from his actual wake up time but when pushing the nap later to discourge EWs I used to just put him down at the time I would have had he woken at the later, more reasonable time.  This only works if LO still does a good nap after being kept up though.  Babies who short nap when OT will likely need to count from EW and stretch the A time more gradually.

Dache, I'd keep the paci and use shh pat or variation there of. I'm assuming your LO doesn't replug yet but if that is wrong then you can use pupd.

Offline Newbiemommy001

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Intimidated new mommy
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2014, 01:51:12 am »
Thank you Ali!

Offline dache

« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2014, 06:58:51 am »
Thanks Ali. She can replug but I dont know if she does it at night.
We had a little different night yesterday. Dinner was at 6 and a bottle at 7, she went down easily and wu at 11. Then I tried w2s at 1.15 (she usually wakes up 1.30-2.30) and although she still wu it was an hour letter then usual, so I guess that`s progress, right? Oh, I just remember that she took a around 15 minutes to restless after the bottle,that`s also new.
She still wu at 5.30 but want back to sleep for an hour more.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2014, 08:21:56 am »
For w2s at night Tracy recommended doing it an hour before their usual wu as sleep cycles work differently at night and los sleep more deeply.

I weaned the dummy before my lo could replug but I know some mamas put several pacis in the cot and even use glow in the dark ones to help LO find it at night.

Offline Newbiemommy001

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Intimidated new mommy
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2014, 10:40:00 am »
I knew it was too good to be true. LO woke up at 5:30am today. We couldn't even do wake to sleep at 4:30am because LO woke up when my husband entered the room. LO fell back asleep within 5 mins after, though. Sigh! Oh well...new day.

Offline dache

« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2014, 19:03:54 pm »
Sorry you had a rough morning Newbie. I dont know what to say. You clearly are trying hard get things in order, so sorry it didnt work until now.
But again, could it be just a regression? You know how it goes-you start bad, then have a good few days and then worse days and then the habit is broken.

Ali, she doesnt always wake up at exactly the same time, its between 1 and 2.30. Do think that w2s wont work for her?
The dammy thing-I tried weaning once-when she was 2m or so, it worked, she didnt needed it to go to sleep but she was crying a lot at that time (Ive mentioned it before here 15h a day!) so I had to, for her sake and ours! I know its a prop, during the day we use it to sooth her if she is very upset, and for sleeping. Some times she wont open her mouth because she doesnt want it. But Im not doing any weaning now. I`ve decided to wait until she weans on her own. When she was a newborn she didnt wanted it, but I kept pushing and now here we are, do I feel sorry?-yes. And I will not use a paci if I have other babies but I made my bed and now Im ready to sleep in it :(

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2014, 10:40:38 am »
Oh I wasn't even suggesting you wean the dummy. My mention of weaning was just an admission that the following advice about multiple pacis in the cot and glow in the dark ones was not from personal experience. :)

I only stopped giving the dummy to ds2 at 7mo because he lost interest in it and didn't even seem to notice I stopped offering. Tbh I cant believe my luck and expect things to be different with this next baby whom I fully intend to give a dummy to.  I think the months of self-settling it affords is well worth it especially when it is a second or third baby and there are other kids who make shh patting for ages too difficult :)

No i don't think w2s would work if the wake up times vary so as that doesnt sound habitual really.

Newbie, was it at 4.30 your DH woke LO  going in the room?  If so then that is still w2s isnt it?

Offline dache

« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2014, 12:30:14 pm »
Newbie, was it at 4.30 your DH woke LO  going in the room?  If so then that is still w2s isnt it?
I agree. It just didnt work :P
My lo also woke up early this morning. after the night feed at 2.30pm she woke up at 5. I knew she wasnt hungry, putting a hand on her tummy and shhhh didnt work so I decided Im going to do apop. I picked her up, rocked her until she calmed down, maybe a minute, then just held her for a few minutes and put her down. She didnt went back to sleep immediately but she didnt cry, and when she went to sleep she stayed asleep until 7.
It would be so much easier to feed her very time she wakes up, she might not go to sleep but at least she is not crying. Maybe she is  really and need to feed, she does takes full bottle. Ill be fine with a df and a nf, I know many babies need it still at this age, but the early morning wakings...Im lost
Ali, I know you didnt suggested weaning. I`ve heard about babies lose interest in dummies at 7 months. I was hoping my lo would be like that. Maybe I just stop offering it during days and see how it goes. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:33:04 pm by dache »

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2014, 12:39:48 pm »
Many LOs who have tummy problems really benefit from a dummy Dache so maybe bear that I mind if you are still working out the intolerance issues.

Offline Newbiemommy001

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Intimidated new mommy
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2014, 14:24:59 pm »
Hi there. Yes, DH went into LO's room at 4:30 and woke him up so yes, it is still wake to sleep. But he ended up waking at 5:30 anyway. I kept the same EASY yesterday with capped naps and another w2s at 4:30am and LO woke up again at 5:30am. I guess this is his new norm? I really don't know what else to do. I'm afraid to try a later BT but I will if it's advisable. So far, his BT has been 7pm.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2014, 16:56:29 pm »
Can you remind us what his current age is and when he currently naps?