Author Topic: Early wake for 8-month old  (Read 8615 times)

Offline Gosia M.

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Marcin, my DS born 19/12/2013
Re: Early wake for 8-month old
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2014, 13:05:08 pm »
Yay for you Newbie! that's perfect if LO goes back to sleep after playing in the morning! Marcin used to do so. But today again he woke up at 5.50... and started crying after 40mins.

I really don't know how to crack this.

Do you have any suggestions? should I try to cut his day sleep? He now sleeps 2:40 a day, but he's always been LSN. Should I wait and still try to keep his BT around 20.15 since he is able to start his first nap at 10 even if he got up at 5.50!!!

I've read somewhere that some babies may still need 2 naps for a long time but the overall sleep needs are lower so they cut from night sleep. it unfortunately turns out in LOs going to bed around 9pm for some time until they're finally ready to 2:1 transition :(

Ali, what do you think?

Offline Newbiemommy001

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Intimidated new mommy
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2014, 15:04:44 pm »
I really wish I had the answer, Gosia! But you may be right that as LOs get older, they need less sleep overall. So maybe if daytime sleep is shorter, Marcin will make it up by sleeping longer at night? My LO has low sleep needs as well and just the other day, he was awake at 5am, was playing around and wouldn't go back to sleep until we got him at 6.  :-\ I wonder if you can increase A time in between first and second nap? Not sure if that's a good idea but at least maybe you won't have too long of A time to reach BT? Hopefully the experts here will say something soon.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2014, 19:36:57 pm »
Yes, maybe try a 1.5hr nap and a 45 min nap.

I would also recommend giving wake to sleep a try alongside the caped naps. It can be hard to break the habit even when still tired.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2014, 20:05:10 pm »
I just realized that her A time in the morning is 2.30-2.50 hours.
she is ready for a nap bu 9.30 but she is actually UT, that`s probably why she is waking after 45 minutes.
So I deferentially need to push her A times even more.
But(unwillingly) Im looking after 2 girls,6 years old and a 10month old who uses the breast as a prop for falling asleep and Idk how Ill manage that or the fact that I am having very hard time with my lo and now I have these 2 girls to look after but that`s another story.
My point is, I wont be able to focus on her much. So I might be forced to pause the process. Which sucss because we had EW this morning and a few NW.  :-X
Gosia have you tired changing around the naps-cap the long one and extend the short one?

Offline Gosia M.

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Marcin, my DS born 19/12/2013
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2014, 14:05:48 pm »
Thanks girls.

We tried already for some time as short as 15 min plus 1:45. Together with w2s. It helped twice for 2-3 days and then again EW...

Dache why do you think changing naps around would help?  I could try but I think I would have tough times doing that since Marcin has always preferred first nap short (since he was 3mo)...  do you thinks it's that worth doing PU/PD? Had BW mentioned something about this sequence of naps?

Offline dache

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2014, 14:45:44 pm »
I dont know if it will work Gosia. My lo changed things on her own but I think its because she is UT in the morning because her A time is only 2.30h. That is what Im trying to change now. To have her awake at least 3h before any nap.
Pu/pd does work, I know. But I cant try it on V because she has reflux that is aggravated by it.
As I said Im looking after a 10m old who falls a sleep on the breast but I managed to get her to nap using pat/shhh, although she is too old for that.
Im going away tomorrow so Ill have a little more time and Ill look at the book to see what specific is said about our situation and Ill let you know what Ill find.

Offline Newbiemommy001

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Intimidated new mommy
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2014, 15:20:36 pm »
Well, I'm ready to throw in the towel! After a good wake-up time yesterday of 6:50 am, LO woke up again at around 5:30am today. BT yesterday was pushed back since he woke up from his last nap at 4:30pm after capping it at 45 mins. We put him in his crib at 7:30 pm and he didn't sleep until 8pm. So he only had less than 11 hours of sleep. I couldn't push his first nap because he was melting down at 9:15am. So, we're back to square one. I've decided to cap his first nap to two hours instead of 1.5 hrs and his second nap at 45 mins. I'm hoping to do a 6:30pm BT. Any other suggestions? Should I just accept he's becoming an early riser?

Offline dache

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2014, 16:07:42 pm »
Dont give up Newbie.
After a while you will be tiered again and you`d want to start over but because of being inconsistent things might be difficult.
If you do think he is a low sleep baby try and make 2-1 transition. I have noticed that if I take her out she can last longer with A time.
And then also have a latter bt too. If he is LSN baby he doesnt need the usual hours of sleep as other babies. Accept that, but if you want wu time to be 6.30-7.00, Id say keep to working on it.
And if its ok for you that he gets up that early, than thats fine too.

Offline Newbiemommy001

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Intimidated new mommy
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2014, 19:17:22 pm »
Thanks dache! Today is not going too well. First nap was already at 9:30-11:30. I thought LO would last 3.5 hours before nap 2 but he again had a meltdown at 2:30pm. So, I think I'm going to let him sleep as much as he wants today and start again tomorrow. I'm not sure if he's really low sleep needs. I thought he was but then again, he acts like he's exhausted today because of not enough night time sleep. So, I'm really hitting a wall. I really hope things will be better tomorrow.

Offline dache

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2014, 19:49:55 pm »
Hope things are better tomorrow for all of us.

Offline Newbiemommy001

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Intimidated new mommy
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2014, 10:34:26 am »
Hello ladies. I hope things went well last night.

LO again woke up at 5:30am this morning. We put him in his crib before 6:30pm last night but he only fell asleep at 7pm. But at least that gave him 10.5 hours of night time sleep as opposed to 9 hours the other night. I'm hoping to be able to push the first nap today. It feels like I'm running around in circles. So, I think my plan today is to cap first nap to 1.5 hrs, second nap at 45 mins, early BT and wake to sleep at 4:30am. If this still doesn't work, I don't know what will.

Fingers crossed for all of us!

Dache...I meant to comment on the 10-month old you're caring for. That's tough! I hope she's not keeping your LO awake!

Gosia...so you wake to sleep Marcin an hour before he wakes up? So you just nudge him or do a shush-pat?

Offline dache

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2014, 12:18:08 pm »
Actually she does!  :-[
My lo had only a 10 minute nap around 9ish and she finally got to sleep now, at 2.00pm.
I was holding her in my arms trying to get her to sleep while my lo was on the bad fussing and I was trying to calm her down like that.
I didnt wanted my friends to think Im looking enough after their lo, which was ridiculous at the end, because I went to ours for a minute to get my lo`s milk, and their lo had almost fallen of the walker and has a bump form the bumping her head on the toys. :-X
But I told them that I cant do it anymore. Im going away to visit my family and they found someone else.

Lo had a lot nw last night.
She also had 5.30 waking but went back to sleep after a bottle. So she had two more bottles last night!
I think she was hungry more then usual because she didnt eat well during the day.
Fingers crossed for better and longer night tonight

Offline Newbiemommy001

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Intimidated new mommy
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2014, 14:30:07 pm »
Shucks dache! I really hope LO gets a better sleep now that the other baby won't be there anymore.

@Gosia...Typos on my previous message. I meant "do" instead of "so".

Offline dache

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2014, 07:59:04 am »
Grrrr. Another bad night. She had several nw, then wu as early as 4.30 and I dont really know if she went back to sleep. But she was showing signs of tiredness a few minutes after I got her out of the crib.
She fussed her way until 9.30. I tried putting her down but she was crying so I picked her up, waited 10 more minutes and she fell asleep.
I have noticed that she sleeps ok for the first part of the night but then she had nw in the second.
I think I might start a thread about that, maybe someone will have any idea what is happening.
Im looking forward to tonight. My mum is going look after her so that I can get some rest. And tomorrow night my sister will. Then hopefully with fresh eyes and mind Ill be more productive.

Any changes Newbie? How things went with caped naps and early bt?
How things are going for you Gosia?

Offline Newbiemommy001

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Intimidated new mommy
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2014, 10:39:32 am »
We did wake to sleep at 4:30am together with capped naps and early BT (crib by 6:45, asleep by 7) LO woke up at 6am. I guess that's a good sign. We'll keep doing this for the next few days. Hopefully LO will be consistent. I'm really hoping this wasn't a fluke.

Dache...I just read your other thread. I hope people will respond soon. Does your LO have low sleep needs? Maybe capping the first nap makes her OT? I'm not sure if it will work but maybe you can give her a day to sleep all she wants to catch up on all the lost sleep and then start again? My LO usually has a meltdown when it's been a couple of days of poor sleep and can't stick to his EASY.

Gosia...how is Marcin doing?