Author Topic: BM Top off  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
BM Top off
« on: August 04, 2014, 13:46:55 pm »
My 6mo old is on a 4h EAS (2.5 A, 1.5 S). I have introduced Solids and it has quickly turned into a regular feature between BF. My LO looooves real food (to the point that I can't eat anything while breastfeeding or else he'll pop off the boob and want what I am eating instead!).
Anyway, I will give him 2-3 TB of baby food and then generally top him off with a round of BM. A friend had recommended allowing him to feed after solids since he seemed to want more food. But, doesnt this mean he bf's every 2hours?
Instead, should I increase how much solids I give? Or, stick with the top off? And then in that case, how long do let him feed for? ???

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: BM Top off
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 21:41:23 pm »
I'd stick with the top off at this age and let him come off himself.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 01:30:36 am »
I agree - solids at this age are not as important as bm so I would carry on with the top up...I was feeding DD3 frequently at that age too because she needed top ups after long A times and it never caused issues.
Heidi

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 05:41:57 am »
Ok. He always seems so hungry and solids are never enough for him. I'll keep the top up then.
Is there a limit as to how much to give him?

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 06:48:47 am »
And one more question....
If I'm topping him off in between BFs, doesnt that ruin the whole point of being on a 4h EASY? Doesn't that put me back to a 2h E schedule?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 08:09:03 am »
No, once they start solids they aren't on a 4hr easy anyway. Normally the 4hr easy would run 4-6mo max and then LO would be eating more often with milk and solids combined. Plus the longer A times often mean LO is asleep at the 4hr mark anyway so people either have to bring the next E forward or leave it longer. My DS1 was doing a 3hr A time and then a 2hr nap so was going 5hrs between his first and second BF. That was fine for him as he ate a decent breakfast of fortified multigrain cereal and fruit/veg. My DS2 was lower sleep needs so did a 3hr A time and only a 1.5hr nap but he couldn't wait until after his nap as he wasn't big on solids in the morning. I just brought his second BF to before the first nap and that meant he was only going 2.5hrs between his first and second BF for a while. I then actually didn't BF him on wake up from his first nap (he wasn't hungry enough) and just did solids first and the third BF of the day later mid-A time or sometimes end of that second A time if we were out. Sometimes you just have to be a bit creative.

I wouldn't limit the breast milk you give him. It is fine to offer more solids if he needs it in addition to the extra breast milk but I would make sure it is nutritious and doesn't contain lots of sugar or salt. So not endless amounts of rice cereals, rusks or fruit for example. Meat and veg would be my first choice if offering in significant quantities. I would limit it though as you don't want his milk intake to drop, especially at such a young age. Just because a baby will keep eating solids doesn't mean it is the best thing for them. My kids now would happily eat biscuits all day in place of healthy food but obviously I know better, yk? I can't tell you a specific amount to limit it to, you just need to keep an eye on his milk intake and if he starts to seem less interested in that then I'd hold back on the extra solids for a bit.

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 06:29:57 am »
That's great advice.
MY LO skipped the 2.45min A time and went straight to 3h A time. Seems to work well for him. As a result, his first nap is 1.5hr and his second anywhere from 45-1:30. I usually end up trying to get him to catnap if he only took a 45min nap. Between his first and second naps, I have not been topping off, just offering a helping of solids.... oh wait! It just occurred to me, that top offs haven't been happening all the time and he's been fine. ... So, maybe he doesnt need it! :)
Ha! A moment of enlightenment.
An other question I have is how can I make sure his main nutrition needs are met by BM and not by too much solids? Is BF him after naps enough to cover his needs?
(And Ali: you mentioned you would give meats and veg? I haven't introduced meat. Should I?)

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 10:08:58 am »
I would. Meat is a great source of iron which babies need from 6mo as their iron stores from birth begin to get depleted.
Here we are recommend from 6mo  to feed babies a variety of foods from the four food groups:
-fruit and vegetables
-bread, rice, potatoes, pasta and other starchy foods
-meat, fish, eggs, beans and other non-dairy sources of protein
-milk and dairy foods.
http://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/food-and-health-tips/introducing-solid-foods/

If he is having 4 full feeds a day then that would satisfy me that he is getting what he needs. If he always seem hungry or seems to be reducing milk intake or is not gaining weight as expected then I would worry he needs some more encouragement to nurse more. If he is prone to preferring solids then I would always ensure the milk feed is shortly before the solid food and that there is plenty of time and ideally a nap after solids to allow time for him to get hungry for milk again.