Author Topic: 5wo, struggling it get her on easy.  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Ayesha19

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5wo, struggling it get her on easy.
« on: August 06, 2014, 08:17:50 am »
Hi all,
I'm struggling to get my 5wo on the easy routine, I seem to be waking her up when she's asleep and trying to get her asleep when she's awake.

She's napping mostly in her Moses basket in the lounge but wonder if I need to put her in her room?

My main question is how do I get her to sleep,she seems to go off then 5 mins later her eyes ping open & cries? Sometimes she doesn't sleep At all between feeds then the next she'll fall asleep and have no A time.

Last night she was wide awake after her bath at 6 till 12pm?? :o I seemed to try everything to get her to sleep.

Thanks in advance for any answers x

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 5wo, struggling it get her on easy.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 08:54:04 am »
Are you recording her EAS times?  I would start there, follow cues for E and S and just see if any pattern emerges after a few days.  I probably wouldn’t be waking her unless her nap goes super long (like 3 hrs).

She might prefer to be in her room for naps, mine had a very clear preference at 10 wks.  It's worth bearing in mind the SIDS recommendations are to have baby sleep in the same room you are in.  It's your call :)

when you say her eyes ping open 5 mins after she falls to sleep, it sounds like regular jolts, is this in your arms or in her moses basket? Is she swaddled? Are you using shush/pat?

Offline Ayesha19

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 09:10:58 am »
Haven't recorded it but will start.

I wake her to ear every 3 hours but sometimes she won't even wake up just eat & stay asleep. Don't want her to be confusing night & day?

She's normally in her Moses baskets when she jolts awake, not swaddling as it seems too hot at the mo?
Using shh/pat which works sometimes but not always.

Did easy with my 2year old and she did it perfectly but can't really remember the early days.

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 17:45:07 pm »
Don't want her to be confusing night & day?
I understand the concern. If she isn't having long periods of wakefulness at night though I wouldn't worry too much, she is likely still very sleepy in her NB phase. Keep trying to have her awake for her food and a minute or two (or nappy change after) and that's fine.

You may be able to swaddle in a cotton sheet with just a nappy on if it's hot. A swaddle will really help with those jolts, the other option is to HTTJ (hold through the jolts) but you might not be able to do this with a 2yo around.
How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods)
(scroll down to pressure at the jolts)

Did you start your 2yo from birth or later? I didn't find BW until DS was 4 wks old and began to gently move towards an EASY routine, what you describe sounds normal to me.

Offline Ayesha19

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 11:13:17 am »
Yes nights are ok, she feeds then goes straight back to sleep.
Last night I shh/pat her to sleep (took about 30/45 mins) and held through the jolts she was asleep by 8pm, woke at 9pm (but this was 3hrs from last feed) so not too bad.

My main concern now is I can't get her to nap in the morning.. Shh/pat her this am for an hour (and it's really hard with a 2yo running about) but she was awake from 7.30-10.30 and even then I went in the car & she fell asleep? This then throws out the EAS for the next feed. Any ideas?

Started my 2yo daughter from birth & thought I had with this one but I've obviously been more relaxed with it without meaning to be.

Offline creations

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 07:31:31 am »
Yes nights are ok, she feeds then goes straight back to sleep.
Then I don't think there are any concerns about her mixing day and night.

Did you start to see any patterns in her EAS times since recording them?  Would you like to post them and I'll have a look?

Offline Ayesha19

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 11:16:02 am »
Sorry for slow reply.
We are  getting on abit better now, she is going down to sleep much easier, but will wake 2/3 times during the nap &/Or wake up completely after 45mins so that makes the next eat/sleep messed up?
What do you do when they wake up early & won't resettle?

Offline creations

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 17:43:25 pm »
What do you do when they wake up early & won't resettle?
If you can't resettle then count her next A time from when she woke up so that she isn't going too long before her next nap. You don't need to feed immediately on WU (the order of EAS is to avoid feeding to sleep rather than always eating on WU) unless she is hungry, but also bare in mind she might be hungry sooner than her regular time if she isn't asleep and if she has fussed a lot during the resettling as she'll be burning more calories than when sleeping.
You might want to try W2S to help her through the 45 min transition, IMO this is a great method and helps with sleep training.
How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods)

Offline Ayesha19

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 08:58:32 am »
Brill, thanks for your help  :)

Offline creations

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 22:20:39 pm »
No problem. Let us know how you get on :)

Offline Ayesha19

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 19:56:01 pm »
One more thing.. I was going to do the wake to sleep for naps today but she has been so restless I haven't has a chance to even get her to the 45min mark?
She seems to drop off then 10 mins later  wake up crying, I settle and she does the same thing the next 10 mins..this lasts the whole nap so I feel like she's not well rested at all.
I watched her & it doesn't look like she's jolting awake, do you think it's OT? She's having roughly an hour A time?

Offline creations

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 07:51:44 am »
Could be OT, yes, although she's so young it could be all sorts, a bit of wind perhaps or some external noise, OS...
Would you like to post yesterday's or today's EAS times?