Author Topic: How to sleep in a hotel room with a teething 20 month old  (Read 1460 times)

Offline karindmor

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
How to sleep in a hotel room with a teething 20 month old
« on: August 09, 2014, 04:14:07 am »
My husband and I are moving across the country in 3 weeks. I made another post about his teething a few days ago. He is getting his bottom canines in and has been having a much harder time before bed than he was with his too ones...why is that? I would think the pain would be the same?? Anyway, were going to be staying in hotels along the way and I'm wondering how to sleep with him. I made a reservation for a hotel that has a 2 room suite so I can close the door and treat it like his room. Ive traveled with him before and he did horribly in the hotels but did ok once we got to my moms house. He is an independent sleeper and will wave good night to me after being tucked in, but the last few nights have been horrible trying to get him to sleep. He just wants to nurse all night long.
Sorry, that's not the real question...I guess I'm just looking for tips on how I make the traveling and sleeping easier especially since I'll need to get sleep to drive the next day. I know to try and keep things the same and use his sleep toys, night light, blanket, etc.

Offline HenaV

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
Re: How to sleep in a hotel room with a teething 20 month old
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 06:36:59 am »
Personally I think that's all you can do. Keep everything the same as possible, medicate and if you've got two bedrooms as you say then that will no doubt help. I'm not sure what kind of suggestions you were looking for, you do seem to have it under control. I suppose te only other thing is perhaps to use his own bedding - pillow, blanket etc to enhance that sense if familiarity.

Hth

Hena

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 08:54:56 am »
 Hi,
I can't help much but DD is also getting her lower cannies in and they are hell compared to the upper canines. Not sure why though, I also thought that the pain/discomfort would be the same but sleep is really effected.

Offline karindmor

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 14:15:55 pm »
Thank!! I guess I just wasn't sure about what to do if he has trouble going to sleep or if he wakes up in the middle of the night. Not sure how much I should comfort him. Also how many stops do parents usually make while on road trips?

Offline karindmor

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 14:19:01 pm »
Oh and I only have the joint room for one night so I'm wanting to know what people do with just one room bc well probably have to get just one room at some point.

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 22:43:05 pm »
Tbh, I haven't btdt re: the one room thing. I have seen others suggest for holiday etc, creating a space in the room which is for your LO. So I guess depending on the size/type of room, put the travel cot
In the closet (doors open), bathroom or put a travel black out thing over the top once he's asleep so I he wakes it's dark and there's no direct association with you.

I guess re: comfort if he NWs I'd have to cut him some slack - strange place sleeping in each night or however it works out, if he wakes he may just want the one thing that is familiar to him and makes him feel safe, his mummy! You may just have to go with it while you're on the road and fix anything that needs fixing when you're settle. You might otherwise find that both of you are worn out and feeling the effects of OT!!

H

Offline Miraclelim

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 00:11:23 am »
Hi I think I can relate. I went to bali when my baby was teething molars. So we have a lot of EW so ebt helps. She sometime also wakes up at time but I find that med n milk helped a lot. We have a snoozeshade that we can put over the cot so that helps tremendously. We only have one room so that helps to separate us from her. It blocks out 90% of light so she thinks she is in her own room.
We got through the whole week without too much trouble so it's not as bad as u think. Have fun on ur holidays.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 00:30:51 am by Miraclelim »

Offline karindmor

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 21:00:37 pm »
Miraclelium, I just bought a snooze shade! I haven't used it yet and my son is 20 months and teething!!! I'm worried that he's going to freak out or get scared from the change or the darkness. How did you get your little one used to it???

Offline HenaV

• My shining light
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 21:13:15 pm »
When we used the snooze shade, we waited for R to fall asleep. She sleeps in the dark so if she woke or stirred she was used to it being dark so didn't freak

Hth

Hena