Author Topic: HELP! 3wks Old Feeding Every Hour Since Birth  (Read 3753 times)

Offline BEHBII

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
HELP! 3wks Old Feeding Every Hour Since Birth
« on: August 09, 2014, 18:37:45 pm »
Help!! I've been wanting to implement the EASY ROUTINE but haven't had an opportunity. My newborn cries each hour for a feed day and night. What can I do? I have also tried implement the EASY routine based on the hour but he doesn't fall asleep when placed in his bassinet.

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Re: HELP! 3wks Old Feeding Every Hour Since Birth
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 18:47:46 pm »
Hi there and welcome to BW,
newborns do sometimes seem to feed non-stop, don't they?  And this is an important stage for establishing your milk supply so it's important not to let them go beyond say, every 3 hours. But, really, it isn't possible that he would be hungry every hour.  :-\

Has he a good latch? Have you had any difficulties with feeding?  Does he fall asleep on the breast? How long does he feed for before falling asleep?  He might just be having too small a feed and then waking up again for more.  He could be snacking, in other words. 

Have a look here:
Tips for Sleepy Newborns

*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline BEHBII

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 20:31:14 pm »
Thanks for your input Weaver. I was also guessing he may have been snacking, but also thought maybe it was just true size of his stomach being a newborn. But decided to reach out as I hear from this forum other newborns being able to go at least 2-3 hours between feeds.

BF seems to be going well. He does sometimes get fussy while feeding. I'm not sure if it's cause of the slow let down or low milk supply. He does get enough pees and poos daily though. He delatches himself, but he can't seem to make up his mind if w has enough. As he will cry for me after he delatches. This whole bit confuses me.

He does fall asleep while BF, but even when he doesn't and sucks intently he still feeds within the next hour. I remember reading about extending feed times by distracting the baby, thereby makin sure te baby is really hungry while he feeds. I don't know if it was suitable to try out for a newborn.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 19:22:33 pm »
Do you think he could just be a sucky baby who is looking to suck for comfort and because he is tired an hour after he last woke up?
Have you tried a dummy/pacifier?
How long is he awake between naps?
3hrly feeds is probably too much for many 3wo but I agree 1hr, especially if he is on the breast a long time for the feed is probably more prop, comfort or OT.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 20:12:35 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline 1stimer

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 02:37:12 am »
When my DS clusters in the evenings he does what you described of your LO with pulling off and crying and not really seeming like he can make up his mind...its extremely confusing but Ive found if I pat his bottom and SHHH him it helps him calm down and focus...its generally an OT issue since when my DS does it its at the end of a long stretch of wakefulness. Once he calms down and really latches he settles in for a good feed.

[/url]

Offline BEHBII

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 16:29:14 pm »
Thanks Ali & 1stimer.

I usually used the paci only on a need to soothe basis when I can't do anything else (ie. diaper changes and car seat), fearing nipple confusion. We have tried it a couple times in the end it's a short distraction and he ends up with an escalated streaking cry (as if we didn't get the milk memo).

I recently tried extending his feed times in the day time by distracting him by swaying. Tough to get it to 3 hours, but maybe will try for 2 first then more after. This doesn't work for the night time though, as one can imagine how much swaying is needed in the middle of the night to extend those feeds. Thinking I'll work on extending day time feeds first? I'm worried his weight will drop if I don't 'feed in demand.'

Interesting what you said about being overtired and fussing during BF. I'll keep watch for it. I have quite an acttive and alert baby who doesn't seem to sleep as often as others in between feeds. So the short sleep and frequent feeds have been an issue, related I'm sure. He wakes up to feed like clockwork each hour.

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 20:16:47 pm »
Yes ds has been doing 4-6 hr stretches of being awake since we brought him home. Now that he's 8 weeks it's not so abnormal but when he was 2 or 3 weeks I thought something was wrong lol!!! Have you ever pumped to get an idea of how much your lo might be getting? Tracy said if you pump 2 oz you can assume your lo I'd getting about 3 oz since babies are much more efficient than pumps.

[/url]

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 20:26:53 pm »
The other possibility is that he is feeding to soothe discomfort from reflux. Does he have any reflux symptoms?

Reflux 101 - General reflux information

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 20:31:40 pm »
Posted the above with pp.

Please note that research completed after Tracy's advice on doing a yield has subsequently shown it to be unreliable and we like to think Tracy would have updated her advice in that area had she still been alive. While it's safe to say baby will get more than you could pump it could actually be significantly more rather than just one ounce more.  Not being able to pump more than an ounce or two does not mean anything about your supply. Some ladies just do not respond to the pump and while their LO can get plenty of milk they just cannot pump even an ounce :)

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 02:38:25 am »
Oh wow Ali!!! I can only imagine how much my lo is really getting then!!! Now that you mention the eating to soothe that's a good point...my ds just got put on axid for his reflux...I only mention it bc there seems to be a lot in common with your lo behbii :)

[/url]

Offline BEHBII

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 17:39:19 pm »
I tried to extend the feed time day time yesterday. It went really well in the day time for somereason when we were out (enough distractions and white noise maybe), we carried, swayed, pacified him, and put him in a carrier (since we were out and he slept gota good 3 hours in it).

The night time feed came around though at 8pm and he never stopped till 10:30pm. Assumed this was the evening cluster feed many babies naturally do.

The night time he woke every hour to feed, and being so tired I gave in. This morning he's been fussing at the breast again. I do have a feeling he may have reflux as his voice is coarse, he feeds frequently and sleeps little. 1stimer did the axid for your ds? Anymore fussing when BF?

How does the night time feed look like on a 3 hour routine? After tanking up (cluster feed and dre feed), do I continue to feed every 3 hours? I'll try that tonight. If only we were allowed to have coffee it'll make it a lt easier!

Ali I've tried to pump but nothin muh seems to come out at the beginning so I stop. The only successful time I've had was in the morning when the breast feels really full. I guess its probably because he had fed so frequently that the pump didn't seem to work for me.

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 18:46:42 pm »
Yeah we did the axid and it seems to work. He never seemed to be bothered too much during the day as he sleeps a good deal still (on me or in the swing mostly I must admit)...but his tough time was at night..his cluster feeding would stretch to 6 hrs sometimes and he was very fussy with it and lots of spit up/vomit. His cluster feeding has so far gone down to a few hours thankfully and not as much spit up. Hes very gassy as well so hes got a lot going on but my Ped seemed to think his cluster feeding was lasting as long as it was and was as rough as it was (the pulling off and crying and confusion like we discussed) d/t feeding to soothe.

[/url]

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 19:30:01 pm »
If you suspect reflux then I'd see your dr ASAP.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 19:53:28 pm »

If you suspect reflux then I'd see your dr ASAP.

Totally agree...if he is in pain then not much will work on the routine front if he is feeding frequently because of reflux.

I am one of those who could not pump, only first thing in the morning when I was super full did it ever work...I just could not get a letdown from the pump the way I did with a baby at the breast. Oh and I totally drank one cup of coffee a day while bf all three kids...it never bothered them luckily.
Heidi

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 00:51:54 am »
Do you think coffee could bother them?  I feel like I've cut everything and watchEd my diet really well. But the one thing I probably have it, is my morning cup of coffee. Do you think it's something I should try?

[/url]

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 02:08:58 am »
Tbh I don't know! I only ever drink a cup a day usually as it affects me if I drink too much (can't sleep!).
Heidi

Offline BEHBII

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 03:00:14 am »
I will def talk to his ped about it. It also doesn't seem like he has reflux as he is soothsble and usually falls asleep. Someone was suggesting to me to top him up with formula. What are your thoughts about this? I've heard the top off of formula ends up to be the main thing than breastfeeding eventually as it messes up the supply and demand. I've been trying to withhold from formula even as a top off, but have been suggested to do so so many times.

I'm not a coffee drinker, but will need extra energy for the nights if I were to continue extending his feed via distractions. Will ask the hubby to help soothe in between feeds and take shifts through the night. As I feel targeting just day time feed isn't going to cut it.

Offline BEHBII

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 03:38:45 am »
Thanks MasynSpenserElliotte for your input. In no being able to do a yield, I was told two oppositing things:
1. If Lo is getting enough pees and poos in a day that indicates he's gettin what he needs for milk
2. If I top him up with formula and takes it, it indicates I'm not having enough in my milk supply to feed him sufficiently

Would appreciate any input on what people's thoughts are on this, particularly on milk supply and him feeding so frequently.

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 04:05:44 am »
A bf baby may take the formula top up just because it is easier to drink and not because they are genuinely hungry. Addng top ups will decrease demand and therefore decrease supply. If lo is peeing & pooping within the norm and content between feeds then they are most likely getting just what they need.

I had over active letdown and oversupply with all three kids (in fact my.milk takes a good year to totally dry up) yet unless I was engorged first thing in the am I could not pump more than a few drops.
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 18:55:12 pm »
A bf baby may take the formula top up just because it is easier to drink and not because they are genuinely hungry. Addng top ups will decrease demand and therefore decrease supply. If lo is peeing & pooping within the norm and content between feeds then they are most likely getting just what they need.
Exactly this ^^^
I think many people like the idea of formula because you can see what they are taking and it puts people's minds at rest knowing LO has definitely had some milk and cannot be hungry but it is not usually necessary. Your LO is so tiny right now that everything will be different in 2-3wks so if I were you I would just get through all the cluster feeding and it should be worth it very soon.

Regarding coffee, a small amount of caffeine does get into the breast milk and some babies will be affected by it in a similar way that adults are and thus find it difficult to settle and be more alert or restless. Some babies however do not seem to notice. If you are drinking lots of coffee and baby is unsettled then it could be worth a try cutting it out or at least cutting back to see if it helps. Decaf might be an option perhaps? Theirs more info here http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/caffeine/

I actually don't drink tea or coffee anyway except on very rare occasions (maybe a cup of tea once every few months for example) so it was never really a decision I had to make. I do like chocolate though and the occasional coke but those are relatively low in caffeine compared to tea and coffee. I can't remember noticing a difference in my babies but that is different to if I were drinking 5 cups of coffee a day of course.

Offline BEHBII

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 18:12:01 pm »
Thank you, good to know I'm on the right path. I've received so much pressure to top up the baby.

I've contacted our pediatrician he said it does sound like he has reflux and to keep meals smaller and more frequent. I guess that's what we've been doing with the hour feeds. As a result, I've continued to feed on demand for now and extend whenever possible. I'm hoping as the weeks go by the feed time will naturally increase.

He's also grown lots so I'm thinking the growth spurt also had a role. Though the hourly feeds had occurred from day 1 till now.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 20:55:16 pm »
I hope it continues to improve.

Don'tbe afraid to go bck to your dr to ask for meds if you think the reflux isn't controlled by the frequent feeds.

Offline BEHBII

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 00:19:46 am »
Thank you.

Update: yesterday we had another all day fussing while BF. We tried everything, either everything we  could: burping frequently, keeping him vertically upright, but hr would few and cry constantly from the afternoon till night (cluster feeding). I haven't been extending his feed thinking he had reflux. I realize my breast were very sore with lots of lumps, he wasn't really sucking hard with all that fussin in between, as a last resort we gave him 120ml of formula (he 5 weeks tomorrow). He drank it peacefully and was at ease since. I breast fed him shortly after and he slept for a good 3hours!

Now 2 thoughts came to mind:
1. If he's having reflux he would fuss still with formula? THis maybe points to my low a supply or his impatience of waiting for the next let down.

He seems to feed well when I feel there's a good supply going on and the milk is let down quickly.

What do you ladies think?

2. With the 3 hour sleep and no fuss, as oppose to the hourly if lucky sleep and distress cries to the point of tunin red while feeding... I'm tempted to call it quits on BF and go with formula, though I know this isn't the answer.

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 02:15:16 am »
Oh man this sounds like my DD...she was terrible at BFing...I guess I should say WE were but she was really impatient with my let down, and she didn't latch well and I think my supply never really came in well. When I started her on bottles with expressed milk she was happy as a clam. I ended up putting her on formula eventually for other tummy issues and bc I didn't make enough when I pumped to satisfy her and she was happy ever since. I think a big part of it was my stress level with all of it but its hard when you see them straining like that. IF you do chose to use formula or bottles don't feel bad...I beat myself up over it for weeks but in the end it was what was best for me and DD.

[/url]

Offline BEHBII

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 05:39:40 am »
I know what you mean about the stress, seeing our babies cry like that can be distressing ourselves. I'm feeling the same way. I can't seem to express milk still, only done it once successfully and it was only 50ml.

Wondering if this will work in hopes to continue BF:
Top up with formula when baby fusses at breast when supply is low, but pump to stimulate the breast to get the supply up? If so how long should I pump to increase the supply? I did so this evening, just 5 mins each side.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 09:55:27 am »
Have you tried pumping before the feed? Or even massage/hand express a bit before feeding time?  To get the flow going, and make it easier for LO?   And then breast compressions while feeding?  All of this will just get it flowing, it sounds like there is plenty of milk in there.

Breast compression

I highly recommend having a browse around Dr Jack Newman's site for info on bfing.  Here for starters: and he also has great video tutorials!
http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc%20PMBI
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 18:29:49 pm »
Have you tried dangle feeding?
http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/dangle-feeding/

If you think you have low supply check out the tips for increasing it in our FAQ. I'm worried I may have low milk supply

Offline BEHBII

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 22:35:26 pm »
Appreciate all the helpful feedback!

I will definitely try the recommendations. Question re pumping before feeding, will it no take away from the milk supply to baby?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 07:16:53 am »
It should eventually lead to increased supply and you can always give baby the milk you have pumped after the feed if LO wants it. You wouldn't pump much just enough to get the milk flowing.