Author Topic: 5 month old constantly wakes at night  (Read 1479 times)

Offline acrumpet83

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 11, 2014, 10:13:44 am »
I started sleeping training last week and it has gone really well.  My little boy is 5months old and hasn't slept well for some time really wasn't napping properly until last week.

He was weaned at 17weeks old due to reflux and serious lack of sleep with a hope it would help with both!   
He feeds every four hours.
Currently his routine:
Wu: 6am - 6.30 (after waking constantly between 1-6am) also leave him in his cot for about half an hour with his mobile projector playing music.
E: 7am he has one breast feeding for 5+mins 2tsp of baby porridge mixed with water. I then offer other breast but generally doesn't take it until about 8am
A: 1.5-2 hours depending on his cues and how well he has slept and the time he woke up. Plays happily.
S: 8.15-8.30am take him upstairs to his room chill out and then in to his cot now taking about 20 or so mins to settle to sleep. Can sleep for anything from 30mins to 1hr 30 has had one 2 hr nap since starting

E: 11am 4 cubes of fruit purée and bottle of formula or ebm 210ml. Tiered feeding half milk first then purée then milk. However sometimes take up to another hour for him to finish to bottle
A: 2hrs
S: 1pm generally the afternoon nap can take longer to settle using pick up put down. He gets very upset if he falls asleep but keeps waking himself despite me staying with him using shush pat. Try to get him to sleep till 3 but doesn't usually.

E: 3pm breast feed offered both sides some times takes both other times has one at 3 and the other at 4.
A: 2.5hrs unless has cat nap but rare unless only had short nap at 1.

E: 5.30 4 cubes of veg purée and water from a beaker
A: 1hr ish
Bed time routine begins at 6.30 with bath. Mobile and projector on whilst getting dressed from bath. Breast feed both sides for 10+mins.
Asleep by 7.10. After shush pat and stay with him till in deep sleep.
10.30-11 partner attempts dream feed if he hasn't already woken up and he's fed him then. Goes back to sleep with shush pat
1-2.30am wake up settles generally straight back to sleep with shush pat. If doesn't settle as he used to get a breast feed then sometimes give him a short feed.
3-4 wake up again
4-5 wake up
5-6 wake up.
Each wake up he settles back down but wakes between 30mins to max 1hr 30mins.

Last night he went to sleep by 7.15pm woke up at 10.45, woke again 00.47am, 2.30am, 4am, 5am, 5.30, 6am. He had a bottle feed at 10.45 formula 120ml could give him more but last few nights he has leaking out his nappy and when he wakes around 2am his sleep suit is wet around his tummy and of course his mattress, sheet etc.

My partner and I are at our wits end with the waking and lack of sleep. Our little boy is a happy smiling boy but fights going to sleep.  When we started the pu/pd  technique last week he seemed to start sleeping better and I even managed to not feed at 2 he woke up and then went back to sleep till 5am we thought we had turned a corner having got strict with routine but Friday night he was awake every hour and a half and then last night as described above.

He was discharged from paediatrician on Friday for his reflux due to doing really well with weaning and marked improvement in his sickness.  He takes ranitidine for this down to twice a day. The Doctor did ask about any teeth which he hasn't but she did say she thought it may be soon.

This morning he had a feed at 7am and went down for nap at 8.20 and was asleep by 8.44 slept till 10.20.

Any suggestions about the sleeping longer would be greatly appreciated!

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: 5 month old constantly wakes at night
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 10:30:29 am »
At this age I'd still try offering the breast first, before the solids. He might not be getting enough calories, or enough calories from the milkfat, which are more satiating (sat fats are also more satiating for adults! :-)).

Might there be teeth coming in? What happens if you give pain meds at the first waking? If it does turn out to be teeth, you can do a "dream med" like a dream feed only with pain meds. (I wish I'd known about that idea when mine were babies. LOL)

Offline acrumpet83

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 08:09:57 am »
Thought we were getting some where two nights ago he only woke twice but at 1.10am and went straight back to sleep. Then again at 4.10am however he didn't go back to sleep till 5.20am. He then woke again at 6.30am so I didn't mind too much.

Then last night he was awake at after going to sleep at 7pm at 10pm and didn't go back to sleep till 11.30 then again at 1am back to sleep by 1.30 then awake again at 3.45am and didn't go back to sleep till 4.45am to be awake again at 5.55am. We leave him in his cot as I've tried pu/pd previously and he doesn't want to go back to sleep. He has his mobile projector and lies there shrieking and cooing. I got him up at 6.40am breakfast at 7 and of course he is shattered by 8 and needs to go for a nap. I managed to get him to stay up slightly longer but only till quarter past and he was asleep by half past!

Spoke to the hv today because he doesn't sleep for more than 3hrs , she has suggested upping the amount of food I give him! So I'll see how that pans out!

He maybe teething he has been pooing a lot over the last two days but he is fine in himself?!

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 12:16:07 pm »
During the day when he's awake he'd be more likely to be distracted.from minor tooth pain, but less so alone in bed, I'd think.