Author Topic: 9 mth sleep nightmare  (Read 5558 times)

Offline Frostygrrl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 13:11:38 pm »
So her 1st nap was super long. Was 2 hr 5 min. I capped it. Then she refuse the second nap. It took longer than 45 min to settle so I bf her to sleep. She  slept 1 hr which was capped. Yah long naps. Do I need to continue w2s each time?

I tried w2s at night but I think I the got timing wrong. She woke up after 1.5hrs. I tried at 1 hr and 1 hr 15. Both time she did not wake. She was awake but ended nodding back to sleep aster 10min. Yah. When do I do w2s again? At 1 hr asleep?

She not active child so she not exerting much energy and not too tired. I play single mum for next few days. Wish me luck..
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:48:01 am by Frostygrrl »

Offline Frostygrrl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 12:39:24 pm »
She went to bed at 8.44pm (took 45mins). Her last nap finished 5pm.

So I tried w2s at 10.07pm and she slightly stirred (only very little), she didn't wake at 10.15pm as expected and stirred at 10.37pm and went back to bed. I'm calling it a success. Now it also could be daycare day, 3 sleeps, had panadol (as she teething) but YAH anyways. Going to bed now. Tomorrow will attempt to put her to bed earlier.

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 9 mth sleep nightmare
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 18:33:17 pm »
Wow, this is amazing! Go you!!

I'd be careful of extending those naps too much hun. At this age it's normal to have one longer nap and one shorter nap a day. Otherwise it just robs the night time sleep away and may cause other issues like waking at night to play  ::)

I'm not surprised she refused the second nap after over a 2hr nap. This  is the beginning of the signs for the 2-1 transition. I'll post a link about this in a minute. I would look at having one nap not longer than 1.5hrs and perhaps the other one at 45mins and keep to a max of a 12.5hr day.

I'd continue w2s on one nap that you want to be the long one and leave the other one and not do it. Can you post the last two days easy for me to have a look at and I can see where we can tweak it x

From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

Offline Frostygrrl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 10:27:02 am »
The last two day she was at childcare

Thursday 21st

Wake 6.25am
Nap 9.50-10.30am (40min)
Nap 12.55pm-1.35 (40min)
Nap 4.20pm-5.00 (40min)

Sleep 8.44pm-1.11am (4hr27min) Panadol. Put her in bed at 8pm, took 44min for her to fall asleep.  Had to assist her by rubbing tummy. W2s at 10.07pm. cough cry intermittently at 10.37pm, then went back to bed.

Sleep 1.52am-5.44am (3hr51min) fed her both breast for 10min each, nappy change. Let her co sleep, she chatted for 10min and fell without assistance.

Friday 22nd

She sleepy feed for 25min, until I got her up for the day.

Wake 6.15pm
Nap 10.05-10.35am (30min)
Nap 12.40-1.20pm (40min)
Nap 4.20-4.50pm (30min)

8.32pm.     Put her to bed 7.50pm, daddy came home 8.00pm, 5 min hugs and cuddles. Happy to lie down, but started whinging when I wasn't in line of sight. I sat next to her but didn't touch her. She fell asleep 8.26pm. I left and close the door and she woke and start crescendo in cry as I wasn't there. Would not settle, so I had to rub tummy, then she fell back to sleep and finally slept 8.32pm.

Sleep 8.32pm - 12.36am (4hr4min) fed to sleep
Sleep 12.43am - 4.17am (3hr34min) fed to sleep
Sleep 4.52am - 6.31am (1hr39min) fed to sleep

Is there a way for me to push the wake to sleep further to she could like wake at 2am, so we are down to one feed? I genuinely think she needs at least one feed. She refuses formula throughout the day so I don't think she eats enough.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:51:43 am by Frostygrrl »

Offline Frostygrrl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 10:05:03 am »
So we've gone back to square one. The last 3 nights she has been sick and coughing lots and I've been feeding her extra lots at night as her appetite has gone. Now she is back to waking 4-5 times. Boooo.

For me I still put her down awake during her BT and let her fall asleep. Then all subsequent waking we feed her back to sleep. Typically its 10pm, 12.30pm, 1.30pm, 4.30pm then wake. Should I hold off some of those feeds? How can I get her fluids up to help her fight the flu.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 12:25:38 pm »
I would just go with the flow whilst she's ill hun. Feed as often as you feel! The skills you taught her before can be retaught. There's always tricky times throughout a lo's life, whether it be illness, sleep regressions or teething. You do whatever needs to be done to make her feel well again then resume normal service when she's better. It may take a little while to get back on track, but it does always come back. That's why we have a whole separate forum here about getting back on track! It happens.

Pop back when she's feeling better and we'll get it sorted again x

Offline Frostygrrl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 13:03:29 pm »
She's in childcare and is forever sick. She still have the cough but last night was the first night we were on normal schedule (have been travelling) so I thought it would be great to try get back on track.

The other nights has been multiple waking and the night prior the 1st night sleep was 1hr. Last night she was an angel. Slept from 7.45pm to 1.46am.

I fed her full feed and she slept until 5.40am, then was wide awake.

How do I extend her to sleep until 6.30am?

At this stage should I try train her to sleep through the night (before the next development)? Or 1 feed is common? She only had 20ml of formula today and I'm guessing she will wake multiple. Will let you know.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 11:40:53 am »
I'm thinking if she's taking so little formula during the day she is bound to wake at night for some as she will be hungry. I think the requirements are around 600ml but some can be from dairy foods too.

What's her solid food intake like? Milk is the primary source of nutrition up until 1yr old so if she's eating too may solids and not enough milk, that might be why she's looking for milk during the night? What do you think? I'm a little concerned she's only taking 20ml all day hun x

Offline Frostygrrl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 13:03:48 pm »
I bf morning & night. So it's only during the day. Her appetite is a little lower due to cold, but she typically eats 3-4 tablespoon each sitting 3 x daily. Occasional 1 piece fruit for snack. I do wish she would eat more so I can be sure it's not hunger feeds.

Oh btw on the day she slept well. She had 2 long naps 1.5 hrs. 1 short 30 min at daycare. Maybe coincidence she back to waking 2-3 hours. Boo
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 13:07:36 pm by Frostygrrl »

Offline Frostygrrl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2014, 11:32:51 am »
Nightmare is back. She seem to be over the worst of of her cold, but now seem to be having yet another lovely wonder week and seem to refusing sleep.

She seem to fall asleep, close her eyes and wake right back up.

We put her down at 7.30pm and she went to bed closed eyes and heavy breathing at 8.25pm, then she woke right back up. Put her down again at 8.50pm and she closed her eyes at 9.24pm and now she is back up again. If I leave the room she starts distressed crying.

What gives? Should I just feed her to sleep?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2014, 11:39:34 am »
I'd try not to hun unless you feel she's hungry. Any teeth coming along?

It might be a little bit of separation anxiety. This age is prime time for it. Separation Anxiety

Offline Frostygrrl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 13:12:29 pm »
Hi Kellyj, just a quick catch up.

We had one good week of her waking mostly once at two with 5.30am wake up. Yah almost sttn. Then another cold. She started fussing and waking twice, but last night was like four times and would not settle. At the rate she gets sick, she'll never learn to sttn.

I've been trying the gradual approach and I can't seem to get her to calm and get closer to the door. The best is when I'm almost out of sight but my foot. If she sees me leaving the door, straight to distress cry. Do I just continue with gradual approach?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2014, 13:26:31 pm »
I was just thinking about you yesterday!

Yep, I'd continue with the gradual approach. It's great you've gotten to the point where it's just your foot she sees. I would try and use your voice too to reassure her, repeat your bedtime phrase over and tell her it's ok, mummy is here. Back in a mo to post a link you might find helpful (just ignore the bit about wi/wo) x

Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)

Offline Frostygrrl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 05:55:06 am »
Hey kellyj I have super exciting news. Baby sttn from 9pm to 5am on tues. But then twice awake and awake 4 times last night. Boo

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 11:46:47 am »
Yay! That is exciting news! At least you know she's capable of it now eh? Did you make a note if anything was different from one day to the next? X