Author Topic: 9 mth sleep nightmare  (Read 5515 times)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 9 mth sleep nightmare
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2014, 13:55:51 pm »
Don't worry, we all miss the signs! I had a very very grumpy DD and it took me a while to figure out it's teething! And I worked in the dental industry for 15+ yrs!!

I would leave her as long as she's not crying hun. She can get back down on her own ok now can't she? I'd also consider she may be UT for the nap if she's playing around at that time x

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2014, 23:45:52 pm »
I would leave her as long as she's not crying hun. She can get back down on her own ok now can't she? I'd also consider she may be UT for the nap if she's playing around at that time x
Agree! It could be OT as well if she's hit her second wind, but I think the first nap should be pushed out to 4hr minimum. The days she's not doing close to that you're getting an UT nap.

I think those nights look pretty normal for teething. Are you giving meds? (((Hugs))), teething is the pits!

Offline Frostygrrl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2014, 16:40:07 pm »
Hi ya back to being nightmare again.

Tonight she woke 1.26am. Which is pretty good. Was thinking might get one wake out of her... So I fed her and settled her to sleep. She kept tugging at her ear but slept none the less. Then 20min later I hear her whinge so I left her. Then it escalated and I found her sitting up again, so I gave her meds. She has two teeth cutting through. I put her down and walked away. And she was crying again, sitting up, so I kept pd walk out. After 5 min I was in the room as I'm thinking wi/wo is probably not going to cut it. She has hit some sort of sleep regression, me leaving room just sends her postal.

But by now she was postal and kept sitting up and I had to put her back down like 30 times and after 15 'in of this she finally laid down, after I kept tapping her bum. She slept 15min later, and I waited 15 min as she was still stirring. So yeah it's was like 3 o'clock and I'm like finally. Then  hit 20min, wah wah. She awake again gah.

Omg. Wonder if I could get some sympathy from her if I cry too... Prob not. So now, it's nappy change, pd, tap on bum to calm, then back to sleep. Wonder if it's safe to go back to bed!

Fingers crossed

Offline Frostygrrl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2014, 16:41:54 pm »
Anyways I'm at a loss, if I can't leave the room, how can I ever get independent sleeper? Having said that she was independent fro like 3 weeks at 11 mth.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2014, 19:00:45 pm »
That does sound like discomfort hun. Waking at 20mins is a classic sign. Might be worth a check in with your doctor to rule out an ear infection too if she keeps tugging on her ear. They are very common in teething lo's. Please don't worry.  IME independent sleepers go back to being just that after illness and/or teething. Wi/wo would be more effective when she's not in pain x

Offline katie80

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2014, 00:03:51 am »
Yes, totally agree!^^^ TBH, when all of mine were/are teething and even when the baby's not, if a few times of WIWO doesn't seal the deal at a NW, I just set up camp on the floor and resettle that way (With this one, I keep a blanket for myself under the crib!) WIWO is exhausting in the MOTN, and I've never had a problem with IS just by being in the room with them when they resettle (esp during teething/illness). I did use WIWO with DD in the MOTN when she wasn't teething and then it was very effective and not so tiring. At least if you aren't sleeping, this way you're still lying on the floor. :P ;)

(((Hugs))), hope you get a catch up nap over the weekend!

Offline Frostygrrl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2014, 20:38:45 pm »
Hi so I've been drving her to sleep that last nap and medicating her with nurofen instead of panadol and bonjela and will do so until that teeth comes out.

How long should she nap all day. I make sure she get 2hr plus. yesterday was 2hr5min. So she now wakes 1.30pm (3 and half to 4 hours) . Takes an hour to get back to bed then sleep until 5. What causes ew again? why is she so awake in the morn? Last night she woke because she had big pooey. She wakes often at this time. Can I extend this? W2s at 11pm?

Offline katie80

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2014, 23:56:31 pm »
She probably needs somewhere around 2-2.5hr of daytime sleep on two naps. Do you know if she tends to be on the lower or higher end of sleep needs?

What causes ew again? why is she so awake in the morn?
Could be OT, could be UT, could be teeth. :-\

She wakes often at this time. Can I extend this? W2s at 11pm?
Are you talking about the 1:30am waking? If you want to try w2s, you'd do it one hr before, so 12:30. It's interesting though, that's about 6hr after BT right? So, the meds are likely wearing off. I still think those long NW sound like teeth. You could try to give a dream med at 12:30 and use it kind of like a w2s and see if that helps. What do you think?

Offline Frostygrrl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2014, 01:51:44 am »
dream meds . havent tried that before. Well she woke after 2hr tonight guessing its probably OT. slept 2hr5min today. Last wake was 4.40pm and bedtime 8.27pm. Do you think it's over tired. Anyways she was miss crankypants until I put her down.

Then she woke two hours later at around 1.30pm. She was sitting up and crying, but I've made it a point to ignore her for 10min in the middle of the night and within 3minute she was asleep but crouching since she hadn't figured out how to get down. I waited 20min while she was in deep sleep and then i transfer her into her back again. (Better than try settle her an hour) She slept til 5.30am.

I step in the right direction. Do you think it's better I leave her then she learns not to wake and sit up?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2014, 12:37:31 pm »
I wouldn't ignore her if she wakes and is crying out for you. That's a version of CIO that Tracy believed broke the bond of trust between a LO and its caregiver. I would go to her and keep lying her back down. A version of pu/pd for older babies where you only lie them back down but don't pick them up. Go to leave, then if she cries out return to her and either lie her back down again or ssh/pat if she's already lying down.

How long was that last nap? Mine wouldn't be able to do 4hrs last A unless it was a really good nap beforehand (like 1.5hrs). If you're going for a shorter pm nap I would do BT around 3-3.5hrs later max, but it's trial and error to find out what suits your LO best whether they prefer a shorter or longer A to bed.

Offline Frostygrrl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2014, 10:00:29 am »
Good news kellyj. Mini got over her hump and no longer teething or sick and she has been self settling and sleeping through the night for last week. Yah. Anyways touch wood. The last few nights she was a little bit more unsettled at bt. I feel a wonderweek coming on.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2014, 12:35:35 pm »
Great news hun, long may it continue! I hate ww, we're in one too atm x