Author Topic: Mixing formula and MBM in same bottle?  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Lynnieowl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 13, 2014, 02:16:15 am »
Is the above OK (to mix formula and MBM in same bottle or container ahead of time and then portion out some into a bottle for each feed?

I'm asking because my lo is 7weeks old, and has seemed much grassier and fussier lately, and today I did this and noticed that it tasted bitter, almost like soap. I threw everything away worried that it was rotten/contaminated/off. But that was a waste if precious MBM and I was upset about that.

Also, as we are on the go a lot, can formula be left in my bag for a trip to the doctors or to shopping without a cooler/ice pack? If so, for how long?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Mixing formula and MBM in same bottle?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 07:57:22 am »
By MBM do you mean expressed breast milk (EBM)?

You can mix formula and expressed milk but you do need to be careful. What type of formula are you using? Is it powdered or concentrated liquid formula?

There can be an issue with some women's expressed breast milk which makes it taste soapy, I think it's high lipase levels. It can be helped by scalding the expressed milk before storage. Have a look at this link

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/lipase-expressedmilk/

When you are out and about a freshly made bottle is good for 2 hours at room temp, once a baby has started drinking from it you need to discard it after an hour because of the bacteria that gets into the bottle from the baby's mouth.

Laura

Offline Lynnieowl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Mixing formula and MBM in same bottle?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 13:04:07 pm »
Laura,

Thanks for the advice. I did mean expressed milk, (MBM =maternal breast milk! whoops!)

I did some other reading last night and agree that lipase is the most likely culprit. It seems to be much less of an issue if the bottle is only BM vs the mixed, and I agree about the likelihood of less waste given the need to throw out if he doesn't finish and potential to waste the BM.

We use Target Brand powdered formula. It's roughly equivalent of Enfamil Premium (yellow label) I believe.

I think I'll just start doing the bottles separately at this point.  It is only harder when we are out and about a lot more. But things are going to be quiet e next couple of weeks so well be ok

Lynnie