Author Topic: correcting lazy latch in 8 week old?  (Read 5794 times)

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
correcting lazy latch in 8 week old?
« on: August 12, 2014, 09:03:19 am »
Hi,
I just noticed much fussier feeds on the right breast for the last couple of days, when watching more closely this morning (ie not getting so distracted by DS1), I realised she probably has a lazy latch on that side, ie not really wide enough? It works for her at the start of a feed, when I'm spurting anyway, but when the flow slows she gets upset, perhaps because she's not latching properly to extract the milk efficiently? Although I fed from the right for the night feed last night, it was still fuller than the left in the morning, so I offered that one first and tried to encourage a wider latch with nipple to nose. However, she just doesn't seem to want to latch enough to persevere, so just cries and gives up rather than opening wider? I don't think she's full at that point because when I offered the other breast she took that, but I also noticed that she didn't have such a wide latch on that side. I hadn't really been paying attention recently as my nipples are comfortable and I seem to spend more energy trying to stop DS1 from prodding and poking her than on watching what she's doing! With DS1 as a baby, I could easily take him off to correct his latch and he'd be desperate to get back on, and took a full feed. However with DD2 she seems so easily distracted that she doesn't seem motivated enough to work on the latch, she'd rather just give up. Any ideas on how to correct this latch would be appreciated! When I squeeze my breast, especially the right one, after she's given up on it, the milk is still quite watery so I'm worried about maintaining my supply on this side, especially as she doesn't seem to have much time for comfort sucking to stimulate more supply. I haven't had her weighed recently as we've been away a lot but will do tomorrow. She seems to be doing the right number of wet nappies but her poos are quite variable and often very runny and green/brown, they seem yellower, less runny and more 'normal' when she does take longer feeds. Sorry this is all garbled, in a rush! TIA...

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
Re: correcting lazy latch in 8 week old?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 22:28:12 pm »
Sounds like she could be struggling with the flow a bit. Have a look at over supply and overactive letdown - just google and see what you think, the green poos, shallow latch and fussiness sound a lot like L was when he was little. Re: watery milk, you could try massaging the breast near the chest wall to help loosen the fats off the duct walls and into the milk to give her more fatty milk earlier in the feed. That can help with the greeny poos.

Maybe also have a look into laid back feeding/biological nurturing. This can help with the latch and fussiness. 

Offline trimbler

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 05:20:27 am »
Thanks becj86, my letdown is sometimes a bit too much for DD, although now she'll splutter less frequently, so I think she's more able to handle it, I'm not soaking muslins although the milk will continue to spurt out a little if she does break off at the start, but as I said that doesn't happen so much now. I don't remember DS being like this, his poos were always nice and yellow and he would eat and eat for ages, whereas DD will stop and give up for whatever reason much more quickly. I've been trying different positions as DS was fussy feeding at times which I eventually put down to silent reflux (milder form) as he had difficulties laying down at all; DD doesn't seem to be quite the same but a more upright position sometimes helps. I can never get comfortable with the football hold. I had a look at that oversupply post earlier but will follow up the laid back feeding link now you've recommended it! Interesting tip re massaging the breast, never thought of that, will give it a go! I googled green poo a while back, I'm never quite sure as most articles about foremilk/hindmilk imbalance talk about frothy poo, whereas DD's poo is just runny and/or mucusy. But I'm sure they're more yellow when she does stick at it for longer, so will try the massage to see if it has the same effect - more importantly, to know she's getting what she needs to gain weight! Right, enough waffle from me, I'm off to look into laid back feeding etc!

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 08:01:05 am »
L's poo was green and mucousy and then became stringy, almost like wet grass, it was terrible. I was advised to stop all dairy but thought I'd try increasing his fat first, with the massage, block feeding and laid back feeding and he was like a different child the following week. He honestly went from putting on 20-30g per week to 500g per week in the space of a fortnight.

L also had strong preference for one side when in a GS and the other normally, one side has one large hole and squirts like a hose where the other is more spray-like, these are things we learn about our LOs as we go along and no two are the same.

Hope you find what works for you and your DD :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 18:57:56 pm »
We also have a FAQ worth looking at Oversupply and Overactive (Forceful) Let-Down
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline trimbler

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 11:31:26 am »
Thanks both of you, yes that's the post I've read, Ali. Interesting, my DD has also expressed stronger interest in each breast at different times, I wonder whether that was also connected with a growth spurt? Can I ask about block feeding, I'm a bit confused about how to make it work? I've been single side feeding since I stopped being engorged early on, so I guess that's like block feeding in 2.5-3h intervals already? If I offer the same breast twice in a row with say a 3h interval, that would be like block feeding over 6h, or not offering the other breast for almost 9h? That seems like too long, could that reduce supply too much? I've tried offering the same side at each of 2cluster feeds as that didn't seem so drastic. This morning I started on the right, then offered the right again at the second feed 3h later until she wouldn't go back on any more, then offered the left, she only took a little then just cried. Should I have just persisted on the right for longer? I really struggle to know when she's really had enough or when she is just uncomfortable, distracted and would rather look around than feed, or frustrated that my flow has slowed or not latching well enough to feed efficiently. She never seems starving though when I next offer a feed, I just feed when she wakes around the right time and doesn't need more sleep, even though she's not really asking for it.

Thanks again, I'm hoping to get some more advice from a friend who's training to be an advisor on a breast feeding helpline but I wanted some ideas from you lovely ladies on how this would fit with EASY too.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 12:39:16 pm »
Just been reading things over again, would oversupply only be the case if baby is gaining well? Had her weighed yesterday, she's not a big cause for concern but I've been asked to get her weighed again in 2weeks, they'd normally say once a month. I can tell she's definitely not gaining like her brother did. She was 3.8kg at birth (41w) and now 4.9kg at 8 weeks. But bec, your DS was gaining poorly and you took action for oversupply and then he put it on? How did you encourage him to stick at a feed when fussing? I sometimes try singing to her, but it's so hard when everyone wants to play with her and she would much rather do this than feed... Then of course she's OT so I have to give up and get her to sleep!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 12:56:21 pm »
I block fed DD2 at points, I actually did one side during the day and the other side for nights! She was having a df and 2 nf's at the time so I was getting plenty of feeds from that side. I can't remember how long I did that for or at what age though, sorry.
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 06:18:43 am »
Over supply can cause weight issues because LO may not be getting to the fattier hind milk.
What about offering both sides but staying on the same braest for two feeds in a row?

Offline becj86

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 08:33:36 am »
The fussiness pretty much stopped when I did the laid back feeding because he wasn't being squirted like a fire hose and he was getting milk in a flow he could cope with. I fed in a recliner, so laid back for letdown, sat up if he was getting impatient and laid back when he jumped off with the subsequent letdowns.

If you're worried about losing supply, you could pump the other side and build a stash or do smaller blocks. My blocks were very long (12hr) but I was hand expressing more than 1L/day... The idea of the blocks is partly to reduce the supply but also to increase the fats she's getting. If you think supply is less of an issue, maybe stick with the massage thing and single sided feeding.

I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about trying to get her to keep feeding once she seems like she's done. My flow was such that even at that age, L was done in 5-10 min. 10 min being if distracted. That feed time stayed the same and even get shorter once he was gaining massively, too, so you're not necessarily looking for her to feed for longer.

Oversupply was a major part of L's low weight gain, he got so much watery milk and so little fat. Once the balance was better, he gained much faster.

If you're particularly worried about how much she's taking, you could do a weighed feeding, where you weight her immediately before and after a feed to find out how much she's taken in. You may well be surprised.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 10:30:44 am »
Hi again, I tried to post a couple of days ago but lost connection! Thanks so much for your suggestions, don't think we're quite there yet but I've tried using the same breast twice if we finished up with very watery milk the first time, so kind of flexible block feeding? We've had more yellowy stools although we still get very watery green/brown ones too. Think we're getting more fatty milk at the end of feeds too, most of the time. Still taking a long time to 'finish' a breast, my friend suggested compression to speed up the feeds, which works for the dream feed but just upsets her when she's awake. Previously she had started waking more often at night, but seems to be doing longer stretches again now. My friend was concerned about me block feeding if weight is an issue so I am limiting that now, she recommended I pay more attention to latch and positioning, certainly the better feeds are laid back (thanks!) but I struggle to do this out, also she is still fussy feeding much of the time. But going longer stretches at night, and the better looking poos seem to suggest to me that something is working, will keep you posted and update when she is weighed next week, if not before!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 14:41:05 pm »
When I was out I just sat on a chair and slid my bottom to the very front of the chair then leant back against the seat back.  Having a cushion or nappy bag fill the space behind me also helped.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 21:20:09 pm »
Hi just checking back after the weighing! Well, the HV isn't concerned and she has put on weight, but she's steadily moving down the percentiles. She was 75 at birth, maintained that line at 2 weeks but dropped to just above 50 by 4 weeks, just below that by 8 weeks and now at 10 weeks she's nearer 25. Poos still green at times but variable, whenever she feeds well we get more yellow poos but we've had fussy feeds again since her jabs last Friday, maybe some loss of appetite related to that, but also we've been out for some feeds and she really doesn't like feeding out! Only manage to get much into her when I cover her up as she seems distracted by everything that's going on around her, she's happy sitting up and looking, but won't stay at the breast even if it's been a while since the last feed and I know she must be hungry. So we struggle on, thanks for your help, I'm still single side feeding and using the same breast consecutively if it was a poor feed. Not really sure what else I can do, DS actually lost some weight around 4-5 months as he was so distracted during feeds and just wanted to play, but he soared through the charts up until 3 months! Maybe I just had more time to concentrate on him and he didn't have a whirlwind of an older brother to contend with...

Offline becj86

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 08:38:16 am »
Was her birthweight increased at all by IV fluids during labour?

Offline trimbler

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 17:40:43 pm »
Oh I had no idea that could happen, yes in did have IV fluids in labour although they didn't go through properly for ages, no one would listen when I kept saying I felt really faint until finally the obstetrician noticed and pushed them through, but I don't think it was all that long before delivery, how long would I need to have had them for it to make any difference?

Offline becj86

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 19:55:44 pm »
Not sure, never looked much into it, but know it can happen and is often the case when LOs drop through the charts early on. xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 20:55:48 pm »
Ok just googled it and it looks like it's more relevant during the first few days. My DD was 75th percentile at birth and still at 2 weeks, so she has still dropped after the period where IV fluids are relevant. Interesting, though! It's hard to know how much her relatively slow weight gain is due to illness (she had a sore throat a few weeks ago and fed poorly then), distraction during feeds (especially when out, only possible if I cover her up but she still doesn't feed well), or lazy latch, which I still think may be an issue. Hard to correct when she seems to have little motivation to feed! First set of jabs last Friday, BCG tomorrow, she lost her appetite after the first set so expecting the same after tomorrow. Poos still variable, but often green and mucusy. I don't often feel engorged so not completely convinced about oversupply but still suspect she's not persevering enough with the feed to get the hind milk?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 16:13:07 pm »
Have you tried pumping a bit to get past some of the foremilk before you put her on the breast?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 20:15:59 pm by *Ali* »

Offline trimbler

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 20:11:25 pm »
I haven't, do you think I should? I'm starting to doubt that it's really oversupply as I don't feel engorged, I've never had to pump. Only once when she didn't feed well from one side at night, did I have to hand express in the shower to feel comfortable again, but this is only when she really doesn't feed well. Actually she's often not fed well recently and I haven't been engorged at all afterwards. She still has fussy feeds, not all, but some where she then poos, others where I keep trying to burp her without success but she stops crying when I sit her up so she can look around! My DS started doing this around 4 months I think, he actually lost weight because he just wasn't interested in feeding, there were too many other better things to do! DD already just wants to look around, it's especially hard to feed her out so I avoid this whenever possible, I've had partial success by covering her head so she can't see anything else, but not for long! She's had very reluctant first feeds of the day recently, even when her last night feed was 4h ago, she just cries when I put her to the breast and is all smiles and looking around when I sit her up. Other times she'll just lie there, grinning up at me but with no interest in feeding, even when the last feed was 3-4 hours ago. So I'm wondering whether it's more to do with her not taking very much rather than me producing too much??? Would be interesting to do a weighed feeding, but no idea how to go about it, I guess I'd need to buy appropriate scales, or are there places where this can be done? If the latter, I'd imagine the result would be more depressing than it should be, as she doesn't feed well at all in an unfamiliar place!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 20:20:14 pm »
Have you looked into intolerances? Does my LO have food intolerances?

What did the HV think was causing the green poop and muscousy poops?

If she isn't hungry when she wakes in the morning then I would just hold off offering the BF until she wants it. You don't have to feed on wake up if she isn't interested yet.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 21:18:40 pm by *Ali* »

Offline trimbler

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 21:00:37 pm »
The HV just said it was all normal and told me not to worry! But as you see I still am... I hadn't really considered intolerances as I'm not aware of anyone in our family having them. But she does often have mucus in her stools, or very watery and very frequent stools, not sure that she has reflux. She's generally a happy baby but does struggle to sleep, I just put that down to her temperament and age, nights are better than naps, she still needs help to get into deep sleep, and often doesn't manage that transition even in the sling. I've heard it said that 10-20min naps can be caused by discomfort? Then there's the fussy feeds or refusing to feed, she's also had skin issues including rough dry arms, this all came with irritation from a bio washing powder whilst we were away, plus heat, it's pretty much cleared up now although we continue with emollient for dry skin. Hmm... Wondering if it's worth getting in touch with the GP again about an elimination diet? Or is it safe to just go ahead and try for a couple of weeks anyway?

Problem with not feeding on WU is that she can't cope with very long A times so if I don't feed straight away then she just gets OT.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 21:20:23 pm »
Hmm, I don't think the constant green and muscousy poops are normal really. I would definitely contact your gp to ask about intolerance and trialling an elimination diet. They don't have to have all the symptoms but sounds like she has a fair few so worth investigating I would think.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 22:01:57 pm »
Yes I think I do need to seek further professional help, feel like they've been a bit dismissive about my concerns but know they just don't want me to worry unnecessarily. Read an article about lactose overload, fairly sure this is it, according to the article this can be due to intolerance or inefficient feeding, she's certainly not feeding well so I know I need to do something about that at the very least, but maybe an intolerance could be part of it. Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes...

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 22:07:58 pm »
I hope you get some answers :)

Offline trimbler

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 11:58:37 am »
Ok so no answers yet but DH took both kids out this morning so I could make phone calls in peace! GP weighed her again, she's gained pretty well since Tue, looking at it now, above the expected gradient for her percentile, so now in the middle between 25 and 50, rather than only just above 25 as it was on Tue. So I suspect last Friday's jabs were partly to blame, but there is obviously still an underlying issue. We're getting stools tested and my friend with some training is coming to watch a feed later this afternoon, I've also phoned the national helpline, they gave suggestions for positioning and latch as we all suspect this is the main issue. Have also got in touch with the feeding specialist midwife at our local hospital so hoping she will get back to me soon. So I feel we have a plan and the weight thing isn't as scary as on Tue but the GP said I was right to be concerned and they'll continue to monitor weight. Of course with every appointment DD just ends up getting OT and then can't feed anyway :( but I'm hoping that we're still at the point where APOP doesn't matter quite so much, I won't have a choice about sling use anyway once I have DS to drop off and collect from preschool, until she can last long enough to feed and do the 1h round trip... And feeding takes so long at the moment as she just won't stay at it properly.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 16:41:59 pm »
Fingers crossed the positions and asistance from your friend help :)

Offline trimbler

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 20:28:27 pm »
Well we seem to have had some better feeding with cross cradle (not the most comfortable though!) and skin to skin, although we still get crying during feeds. I'm confused though as my friend seemed to think there was really nothing wrong except for maybe a virus, and recommended switch feeding, whereas everyone else recommended single side feeding (but not block if feeds were more than an hour apart, I guess you'd do that more for oversupply which I'm not sure is the case for me?) and are saying I should chase this up. So a little confused! But anyway I'll wait for the midwife to call back on Tuesday and see what she says, and in the meantime concentrate as much as possible on feeding, making the most of the weekend when DH is around to take care of DS. Anyway thanks so much for your advice and support, will keep you posted.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2014, 21:12:46 pm »
If you don't think you have over supply then I agree block feeding is out. Single sided feeding is also more relevant if you think the issue is that she is getting too much of the watery foremilk.

Switch feeding can be good because when you put LO back on the breast she had first she will be getting more of the fattier hind milk. Despite having what I now look back on and see was a generous supply if not oversupply I always did two-sided feeding after the first few weeks.

Is your friend thinking the green poops are from a virus? It's possible but seems to have been going on a couple weeks now and I wonder if that is a little long for a virus if she still has no other symptoms like a fever.

Please remember we are just mamas who are suggesting ideas for you to consider mostly based on what worked for us or for other mamas we have come across in the forum or IRL. Most of us at least are not trained LCs. So when I posted the link to the oversupply sticky for example I wasn't saying you have oversupply merely prompting you to look into it as a possibility to consider, if that makes sense.  :) Also it can be hard to get a good picture of what is really going on when we are at the end of the computer and not there with you and your LO in person. There is certainly no replacement for IRL help from a trained professional.

Hopefully your friend is right and there is nothing to worry about. It can't hurt to get her stools checked and your mind put to rest of it all comes back clear.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 21:28:11 pm »
Thanks Ali, I do understand you're not LCs but then neither is my friend, she's only in training and offering advice tentatively! I really appreciate your suggestions, which have been pretty consistent with some of the advice I was given from the helpline this morning (i.e. probably getting too much foremilk and not enough fatty stuff) and the GP (checking for intolerances), I don't like to take up professionals' time for non-issues, so you gave me the confidence that it's worth getting this checked out and taking that time - thanks!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2014, 21:59:07 pm »
Good luck

Offline trimbler

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2014, 08:21:30 am »
Thanks, I'm just getting too upset about this now! She seems to be taking less and less before starting to cry and then I just can't persuade her to go back on. Do you think I should start pumping after feeds to maintain my supply? I'm worried that it will just go down and down :( I don't know how people find time to do all that sterilising, pumping and top up feeding when so much of the day is taken up trying to get her to sleep and she has such short A times, she never gets a restful night as she's always pooing :( Not to mention I actually need to spend time with DS too especially once DH is back at work on Monday. I just feel we're heading towards all that pumping and I'm not sure how to cope with that as I can only imagine it ending up with lots of OT as I won't be able to get her to sleep early enough and then she'll feed even less effectively, she never feeds well when tired... She's really quite a happy baby, just not when I try to feed her!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2014, 08:37:58 am »
Oh hugs. I'd assume she is taking what she needs even if you have to feed more often. Maybe pick a couple of times a day when you have more time to pump and do it then if you are worried about your supply dropping.

Is she sick with a virus like your friend suggested do you think? If so then this may be a temporary, hopefully.

Offline becj86

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2014, 08:43:47 am »
DYT reflux is a possibility? The reluctance to feed, etc. sounds like it but the poops still being green and mucousy sound like maybe an intolerance.

Hugs xx hope you're able to get it sorted out soon.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2014, 10:03:03 am »
Thanks, I've just no idea about anything now! Will be good to get the stool results back, to know either way. Not sure about reflux, she's not very sicky and doesn't seem to mind lying flat. She still seems well in herself so not sure about the virus theory ???

Offline trimbler

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2014, 13:38:27 pm »
Just been to breastfeeding cafe where midwife/lactation consultant suggested osteopathy in case of discomfort during feeds leading to not properly draining the breast. Anyone heard of this working? Will let you know if it does!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2014, 15:32:51 pm »
I have no personal experience but have heard of others on this forum who've had success.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2014, 19:10:55 pm »
Ok so now another LC (appointment was booked before breastfeeding cafe!) who saw us today says posterior tongue tie, to be followed up on Tuesday...

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2014, 19:48:00 pm »
Oh I hope this makes some headway for you. Let us know how it goes.

Offline becj86

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2014, 20:23:07 pm »
Fingers crossed for you. xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2014, 09:10:32 am »
Hi, just wanted to update you as you've been so helpful.

Well, DD did have tongue tie and LC suspected silent reflux too. On ranitidine, which I think is helping to make her more comfortable during feeds, we don't get the same mid feed crying that we used to. Had the tie snipped, which certainly allowed her to move her tongue better initially, although I've found it hard to tell if it's really improved her feeding. The after care is a bit of a shock, feeding every 2-3 h around the clock again (having stretched them out nicely at night before!) for a week, plus twice daily wound massage for a month to try and prevent recurrence. So of course the former made her less hungry for each feed, whilst the latter (still going) results in two worse feeds each day, since of course she doesn't like the massage, although it would no longer be painful. And I think it might be recurring now anyway :( I've also been doing two consecutive feeds from each breast, and had no more bright green poos since both these things. Weight now creeping along 25th percentile rather than dropping down the chart as before, so that's progress :) stools still greenish, awaiting results for intolerance tests...

So, not yet the improvement I'd hoped for, but I've learnt some interesting things about tongue tie (e.g. A high proportion of mums with tongue tied babies don't experience any discomfort; a high proportion of babies presenting with reflux have reduced symptoms on sorting their tongue tie; for some babies, perhaps not ours, sorting the tongue tie can eliminate green stools), so I'll be recommending that other mums get their LOs checked for tongue tie early on and not just take the first opinion, as even many LCs can miss them.

But otherwise DD is very happy and developing nicely, certainly not presenting as a sickly baby :) thanks again for your help!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2014, 09:48:57 am »
Thanks for updating us. Glad to hear there are some improvements :)

Offline becj86

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2014, 20:12:55 pm »
Great that things are improving :)