Author Topic: Confused about Solids... feeling discouraged  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Confused about Solids... feeling discouraged
« on: August 06, 2014, 18:14:28 pm »
My Lo is 6months now. I started incorporating solids into my routine at about 5.5 mo (until then, EBF).
I was merrily buying little jars of food and delighting in his reactions to the various new tastes.
Today, on his 6month mark, I uploaded a picture of him chewing on a big piece of cooked broccoli [on another site]. I had come across the Baby-Led-Weaning and thought my LO would enjoy it.
Unfortunately I received some negative responses to that picture and a number of personal messages telling me to scale my solids way, way back.
I knew that honey was off limits, but other than that, I was just going by the age recommendations on the jars.

Now I'm feeling soooo discouraged. I don't think any first time mom gets it right the first time around, right?

I was letting my baby have baby biscuits and puffed snacks and now I was told to not do wheat.
Also proteins and dairy containing things and to limit my food to one flavor at a time.

I'm an adventurous eater myself so I was having fun with the options.

So I guess I'm being sent to the world of bland. In this case, what can I give him?  ???

(P.S. I know teeth don't have anything to do with it, but he does have 6 and loves gnawing on stuff)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 20:59:11 pm by creations »

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Confused about Solids... feeling discouraged
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 19:14:07 pm »
Who is telling you all this?  How can anyone object to broccoli? Many people just recommend what they did when their kids were little and actually recommendations have changed a lot over recent years (even the last 3-5) as we learn more about babies' digestive systems.

Now he is 6mo I would do as you are doing and offer a variety whilst watching the salt and sugar content.  We did BLW with DS2 and it worked well.  I did some with DS1 after the initial start too.

I would do your research, perhaps on your government website and make your own decisions.  Here is the UK recs.http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/solid-foods-weaning.aspx#close
Although when I weaned my DS2 2.5yrs ago they were also giving out leaflets explaining BLW. That never made it onto the website though it seems.

Imo jars are handy but often contain more sugar than a homemade food would. The age recs are mainly based on the texture.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 19:45:04 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 19:17:30 pm »
Hi honey, I'm so sorry you feel unhappy about this at this time. Here in the UK baby led weaning is supported by most (perhaps all) NHS trusts and health visitors are very positive about the sort of weaning you have described, unless a family has a particular history of allergy or other reason to be worried. One of my DD's first foods was a big chunk of broccoli. We also offered noodles, beef and stir fry flavourings (chilli, garlic and oil) at her first meal. She loved it and it was anything but bland.

If you're happy to go with BLW so you feel you can stick to your choice to try this and if your LO is happy too, just ignore any comments from others.

I continue to be surprised by the willingness of people to be so critical of a parent's choices about their own child.

Lots of (((hugs)))

Posted with Ali
~ Naomi ~

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 19:46:17 pm »
Oh yes I meant to say, that offering one food at a time is more to make identifying the culprit easier should she have an allergic reaction. She has already tasted all the flavours you eat through your breast milk ;)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 20:27:45 pm »
Thank you ladies! I feel terrible, but I should clarify that the picture/ comments I received was on Facebook. Not this website. I have only ever received great advice and encouragement here. Thank you!

What about wheat? Should I avoid that until later?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 20:46:45 pm »
Here in the UK wheat is fine from 6mo. In fact in the link I posted to our recs it suggests foods like pasta and toast in the 6-8mo section. :) If you have reason to suspect she may have a wheat allergy, like if you have a family history of such, then you can hold off but it is not necessary otherwise.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 21:10:56 pm »
I totally agree with pps, BLW gets support in the UK and I am personally a huge fan, having done it with both LOs.  We never had jars as they simply were not spoonfed. Maybe the people who sent you unhelpful comments aren't aware of the approach. People close to me were very dubious, and alarmist, because it didn't fit with their preconceptions. It might be a good idea to find yourself some like-minded folks, on-line or IRL.

Sounds like he is enjoying it all very much, don't  be afraid to offer him interesting flavours, as pps said. And no need to avoid dairy, wheat, cooked eggs unless you are advised to. But maybe have a think about appropriate textures for his age and ability. I suppose I mean that at six months, I would offer steamed carrot in batons, or apple gently fried in butter, rather than the raw stuff, which he'll be ready for by one. But remember that you are the person watching your baby eating, you know what he can manage.

BLW is so much fun, I really hope you are not too discouraged and stick with it :)
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 21:47:54 pm »
The funny thing about BLW is that when my DS was at the weaning stage I attended a short weaning course offered here (government funded, giving the advice from the NHS) where the woman started off by warning us all that BLW was dangerous and we must not do it at all, only bad parents chose this method!!! I was horrified as I had planned to do BLW with DS. She went on to tell us all about the NHS recommendations which included introducing finger foods at 6 months - at which point I questioned the difference between BLW and finger foods (there is no difference).  The woman had some very misguided ideas about BLW.  I was seen as quite maverick in choosing the BLW method but to me it was just skipping the purees and mash and in other parts of the country the HVs were pro BLW. Just shows how people have different ideas and how guides are constantly changing.

I was letting my baby have baby biscuits and puffed snacks and now I was told to not do wheat.
Whilst some baby biscuits contain sugar (even the reduced sugar rusks have lots of sugar in the UK) there are also brands/options which are totally sugar free and will do baby no harm.  I freshly made the majority of DS's food but the packs of sugar free cookies/biscuit type things I could get here were handy to have once in a while.  Similarly the regular puffed snacks might be high in salt/sugar but again I occasionally bought the baby variety here which were totally free of salt and sugar and were made of puffed corn, not wheat (not that wheat is a problem from 6 months). Anyone who has given you negative comments doesn't necessarily know exactly what you're feeding your LO.

I knew that honey was off limits
There are a few other guides too.
Salt and sugar have already been mentioned
Avoid whole grain foods (because they can be too filling and baby may not be hungry enough for milk - but a little is ok)
Boys can have up to 4 portions of oily fish per week but it's best to limit girls to 2 portions
No low/reduced fat foods
Don't add bran to cereals or use bran enriched cereals as they can interfere with child's ability to absorb iron
No whole nuts (choke hazard) it's ok to give ground nuts or nut butter
Avoid shark, swordfish and marlin (high levels of mercury can affect baby's growing nervous system)
No raw shellfish

hmm...I think that's all.

I gave DS all sorts of foods, including some spices etc from a young age. I don't think you need to be offering bland or uninteresting food at all (mine was eating a full roast dinner in a restaurant at 6 months, I took home steamed veggies so they would be salt free but let him join in with a hunk of roast beef, a Yorkshire pud, a bit of gravy etc).  I did alter my cooking to accommodate DS (stopped using salt, chopped veggies etc into larger chunks so they could be easily picked up, made curry milder than I might have otherwise made it) but we had the same meals and still do.  Big fan of BLW and I thoroughly enjoyed our weaning journey.

This thread has been quiet for a while but it could spring back to life if you wanted to post there and share your journey with others
Baby Led Weaning support thread #12

I hope you can put this negative experience behind you and thoroughly enjoy this next stage in your baby's development :)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 06:33:24 am »
I don't think you need to be offering bland or uninteresting food at all
Alright! Bland is out. At least to a point. :)