Author Topic: Bottle Feeding from Birth  (Read 6341 times)

Offline macsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 111
Re: Bottle Feeding from Birth
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 20:29:22 pm »
I used nuk bottles for the last two and they were fab for them both refluxers, I tried every other bottle first though 😨 it's always the last ones I try that I feel are best haha...we used the ready made cartons of milk for first week and then just at night, she only needed them for 8 weeks as shy started sleeping 7 hrs a night x
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 20:39:59 pm »
Ohhhh, if my new LO STTN at 8 weeks I think I could live with it  ;). DS was 12 months and DD 9 months before they did that!!! Pretty typical BFing disaster zone really  >:( ::) ::), and partly why I worry I think. By 5 mths both of mine we increasing feeds and WU's to every 2 hrs etc etc  >:(.

That is another great idea though  :). Neither of mine ever accepted ready made milk, I assume due to taste difference, but again I guess that is less of an issue with very young babies.

Did you do all feeds at room temp as well??

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 23:23:40 pm »
I tried room temp but all three hated it - though they were mainly bf so not an issue really if the odd bottle were heated.

Formula does take longer to digest than bm so might result in longer sleep periods at night barring other issues.
Heidi

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 12:54:37 pm »
My two will take their milk cold. I did and still do make up all feeds before  and take the chill off stand briefly in hot water or microwave for 15secs. I take their bottles from the fridge and put in a cool bag. They have the bottles from there. However the milk has been made with the recommended water temp etc. All the health professionals who knew how I did it didn't have a prob although I know it's 'not the right way'  when o was little in hospital his milk was always premade for him and stored in the fridge (not ready made cartons as he was dairy free)

We were given small bottles of ready made formula for h&j in hospital.
LAURA xx

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 15:35:58 pm »
We too used a thermos flask to make up night feeds. E was a bit older (6/7 weeks) but the time we used bottles but she still had night feeds for a while. The term is really helped with not having to wait for too long, or having to have two people around, one to sooth her while crying and the there in the kitchen boiling the kettle. I was always a bit paranoid about having her in my arms while using boiled water so this gave me peace of mind too.

The hospital did say they had several varieties of formula in those ready made bottles for us to use if we had needed. We used aptimil from the start as a friend had given us some cartons they had left over, and I have heard it can be better from a constipation point of view (whether this is true I have no idea). It's certainly the most expensive.

We used advent bottles and had 8 of the small ones and then went to six big bottles as she got older.
~ Naomi ~

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 19:08:28 pm »
I was a bit naughty and used to make my bottles up in a batch so I ŵoukd sterilise the bottles add freshky boiler water (still super hot) then add the milk powder then allow to cool before putting in fridge, then I would take a few up for the night so they could warm to room temp - should be fine ( the scientist in my head says so!) as the bottle was sterile, the water was boiling and the water was hot enough to kill any bacteria in the powder. Ds1 and 2 were not too bothered about the temp. Can't be doing with faffing around in the middle of the night!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2014, 19:19:33 pm »
then I would take a few up for the night so they could warm to room temp - should be fine ( the scientist in my head says so!)

The guidelines say a freshly made bottle of formula made in the "proper" way is good for 2 hours at room temp after that it should be discarded. Once a bottle has begun to be drunk from it should be discarded after an hour.

Laura

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2014, 19:36:18 pm »
Not an easy decision is it? How to do it so that you don't lose your mind at 3am....

Can completely see your point about not doing bottles with boiling water in the dark with a baby in your arms  :-\ :-\. I will be on my own most of the time with this one.

Must admit, I saw my midwife last week and she assumed I would BF again  :(. I explained that I doubted I could, and she said I may be able to and should perhaps try etc etc etc. Made me feel bad  :(. This is one of those things that I dread about being in hospital for delivery - how many times will I have to explain yk??!

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2014, 19:47:10 pm »
I have a friend who had to have her milk ducts completely removed and she was worried about this ^^^ but she made sure she discussed it with her midwife and it was recorded clearly in her notes, and I don't think it became a problem.

This is something that only you can know what is right for you in your circumstances. Whatever you feel is right will be the right thing. Here to support you xx
~ Naomi ~

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 19:51:27 pm »
Must admit, I saw my midwife last week and she assumed I would BF again  :(. I explained that I doubted I could, and she said I may be able to and should perhaps try etc etc etc. Made me feel bad  :(. This is one of those things that I dread about being in hospital for delivery - how many times will I have to explain yk??!

{{HUGS}} a little sensitivity goes a long way doesn't it? ::)

I will say though that neither of mine were screamers for food, not all babies are, maybe it was the reflux but they never protested that much. Which ever one of us did the NF took the baby downstairs and put them in the bouncy chair or on a rug on the floor and made the bottle quick and then fed them downstairs. We put a dim lamp on so they weren't in bright light but not in the dark either.

Laura

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2014, 19:55:08 pm »
Are you going to bring a birth plan with you, Liz? You can just state it there and even ask that they don't bring it up. If women can write to please not bring up pain relief and not mention them, then you can also ask that that won't be brought up.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/