Author Topic: 2:1... Waking from nap unhappy and too soon. Will APOP create GOOD habits?!  (Read 990 times)

Offline kateywatey

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My DS has been in 2:1 for a few months. He has a random mix of 2 and 1 nap days depending on what were up to in the morning and whether he happens to have a CN in the car or buggy to/from wherever we're going. I think he's ready to go to 1 nap permanently as he's turning down that morning opportunity more and more, and then if he does take it, it's getting harder and harder to 'fit in' his longer pm nap. I'm also keen for him to go to 1 nap so that our days are more predictable. We tried a while ago but he wasn't quite ready and got OT. An EBT will only work to a certain extent - half an hour ok, but any more than that and it's a no go (and a ratty boy the next day).

The trouble is, he keeps waking from his 'one nap' after 1h30, and is in a complete strop. I think teething might be playing a part. Previously when he has had his random 1 nap days he's slept well for 2h15 or 3hrs. I'm not convinced its OT as isn't that normally characterised by naps of an odd duration (ie. incomplete sleep cycles)??

Today I decided to try and APOP him back to sleep with a Bf (WI/WO makes him cross, shh-ing didn't work), which did the trick. Yay! If I keep doing that will he eventually get into the habit of sleeping for longer and not need me to? Or is it teaching him to wake for a nice little mid-nap snack?! I'm paranoid about props as we've worked so hard - and so successfully :) - at helping him learn to sleep independently. Is there an age where they're too old to learn to rely on a new prop anyway? Or at least an old prop at a new point IYSWIM.

Any opinions on this or anything else 2:1 gratefully received!!
FYI, aiming for:
6.30-7 WU (Today was 6.50.)
12.30-1 Nap for 2h15 or 3h. (Today chattered happily for a bit then fell asleep just before 1.)
7.30 BT

Offline kateywatey

• Showing Appreciation 0
He's 14 months btw

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
What about trying W2S for the nap and totally getting rid of the need to apop? I would think at his age he might quickly come to expect the mid nap snacking time!
Heidi

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Personally I apoped and still do when I get shoddy nap from T ::) usually it's only a 5 min up cuddle and back in the cot gently. It's usually in nap transitions (ie 2-1) , developmental periods or teething/illness that I have to do so.

If it goes on longer than a week I usually have to reassess ie routine change, or decide if it could be becoming a prop.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline kateywatey

• Showing Appreciation 0
Thanks both!
WTS hadn't occurred to me (probably because I've never needed it before) so will bear that in mind. He's actually napped well for the last few days, possibly because I've made sure he has some calpol on board (definitely troubled by his teeth atm), or maybe because he's getting used to one bigger nap. Fingers crossed!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
:) great update!
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.