Author Topic: Help my 5 week old will not sleep more than 2 hours at night  (Read 1382 times)

Offline ncbs29

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help my 5 week old will not sleep more than 2 hours at night
« on: August 13, 2014, 17:17:38 pm »
Hi- I have a 5 week old baby who is Breastfed. I give her a bath btw 8-9, feed her, swaddle her, and then lay her in her bassinet. Within an hour she is up crying, I either pick her up and pat her or give her the pacifier and pay her in the bassinet. She will fall back asleep  (quicker when I hold her) but then will wake up again anywhere from 15-60 min after. This continues all night long!
Usually she wakes up trying to pass gas or spitting up. I have tried mylicon, gripe water, holding her 20-30 min after eating..just bought colicalm going to try it tonight.
Any suggestions????

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Help my 5 week old will not sleep more than 2 hours at night
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 19:04:43 pm »
Hi, sorry you've not had a reply just yet.

Would you mind posting you easy for me so I can take a look? How often does she feed throughout the day and night?

It does sound like she's having some discomfort, do you think she has reflux at all? What is her day and naps like? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get the full picture.

There is a growth spurt around 5wks that causes them to want to eat more frequently, do you think that's  the case?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 19:08:57 pm by Kellyjs »

Offline josie30

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 07:51:23 am »
Hi, I'm watching with interest as we are having exactly the same problem (DD also 5 weeks) she's started slotting into a 2.5/3hr easy really well. We 'tank her up' at 6 and 8 and dream feed at 11. But she's still waking every 2hrs through the night. When I put her down she has awful wind and wakes crying. It's taking so long to get he down that I'm barely getting 15 mins sleep before she's up again.meshes also now staying awake from 1-3 am ish, she's just wide awake!

We are persevering with shhh/ pat but getting desperate! Hope someone can help and fully sympathetic ncbs29!

Offline ncbs29

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 09:54:31 am »
So now I'm at the 6 week mark. For a few days she was sleeping from 11-330 but then up every hour after that. Currently these are how are nights go, bath between 8-9 followed by nursing then she is wide awake but fussy, falls asleep with patting and pacifier, goes into crib easily then wakes crying around 11-12, occasional I'll bf again and hold her till she fall asleep. I put her down and she will sleep till 2, bf again but by 330 awake again. From 330 on she is either up every 15 or 60. I try pu/pd and patting or shushing. I have to admit by 6 or 7, I end up holding sitting up which results in falling asleep :(
Help!
Oh and the discomfort and reflux doesn't seem to be it anymore.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 12:01:01 pm »
Pu/pd is really for lo's over 4mths hun. I would try and settle in the cot as much as you can using ssh/pat or a variation that she responds to.

Do you think she could be OT at BT?  Average A times for a 6wk old is around 1hr-1hr 15mins. That's from eyes open to eyes closed. How are her naps throughout the day? Would you mind posting the last few days easy for me including naps and eating times?

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!!

Do you tank her up with cluster feeding in the evening at all? I'm just thinking she's no longer waking up 15-60 mins those first 2 WU's are normal for feeding. It's the later WU's from 3.30am I'm wondering about.

This is a really good,link to have a read through Six Weeks to Four Months: Growth Spurts - How to tackle them
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 12:09:37 pm by Kellyjs »

Offline ncbs29

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 22:15:35 pm »
I don't think it's overtired bc she gets good naps in during, I feed a bit more often before night time. Here is what our days look like
7 am-feed
She usually falls back to sleep during this feed
730-930- sleep (swing, crib, or being held)
930-10-feeds
10-1030- awake ( some crying)
11-1215- sleep
1230- feed
1-1:15- awake, burping, diaper change
1:15-2- sleep in swing
2-3- in and out of awake and asleep
330-feed
4-430- awake
430-630/7- asleep
7- feed
730-830- awake
830-bath
9- feed
9-930- swaddle try to put to sleep but is very awake
10- sleep in crib
11-30-awake crying, possibly eat
12-2- sleep
2- eat
230-330- sleep
330-530- in and out of sleep and crying
530- eat

I'm running out of ideas
I try holding her to fall back asleep but now 15 min after being put down she is crying again

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 02:30:42 am »
Just wanted to throw it out there, my DS was a tiny guy when he was born, so he ate every 2hrs through the night well into his second month.  For us it was just normal.  Not to say there isn't something else going on, but for my DS he legitimately needed to eat that frequently through the night for the first 2/2.5 months.

Offline ncbs29

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 21:33:33 pm »
Update, I moved her to her own room and crib, this may a huge difference. She now does 4 hours before waking.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 11:51:44 am »
That's excellent! I moved DD out early and it made a massive difference. I know the recommendations say to stay in the parents room, but my DH snores like a train so he kept waking her up  ::)